Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the Kramer market in particular, but my sense has been that the single bevel japanese knives trade for less of a premium than gyutos, at least from smiths known for both. It wouldn't surprise me if the folks willing to bid 40k for a knife want at least the mental illusion that they might use it.

Or it’s just an investment that may not increase in value. For years people were able making a killing selling their old school Kramer’s for 5x what they paid.

I though dama kramers were going for $40K+. Has the Market crashed already?
That Kramer is also over 10 years old.
Not sure if that's part of the reason for cost. Maybe a 12 yo Kramer is worth quite a bit less than a new one. His skills have increased.. just a thought

You guys think kramer's been banging out knives? Pretty sure his knives were at their peak performance after Salty told him his custom sucked...and how to fix it...

Last edited:
^ lol! I’ve seen them sell higher than that! That’s your boy sOreal! Appears to have been used.

Seems like Toyama was in stock (emailed) in 240mm stainless clad blue. And just as quickly went out of stock again at JNS. Are they really that popular???

Toyama is, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck in that price range by a long margin.
Personally, I have the iron clad he used to make before the recent switch to stainless as he nears retirement. If you don't have a Toyama, get one asap.

Toyama is, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck in that price range by a long margin.
Personally, I have the iron clad he used to make before the recent switch to stainless as he nears retirement. If you don't have a Toyama, get one asap.
I second this, Toyamas are by far one of the best cutters around, once you've used one, nothing else is quite as satisfying.

Seems like Toyama was in stock (emailed) in 240mm stainless clad blue. And just as quickly went out of stock again at JNS. Are they really that popular???

That's strange, I received no email notification about this, That knife has been on the very top of my list since I saw Toyama was doing stainless cad.

Almost looks like sanmai knife there. Or maybe it's more polished bevel and Kasumi rest of the knife, but why it's so wavy line, if it's just the bevel?
It looks like its been hand polished. If you take a look at the additional pic he provides, you can see his straight line hamon in the picture.

IMO, this one is a true unicorn, I think its the first one he's ever done in this steel too.

Last edited:
It looks like its been hand polished. If you take a look at the additional pic he provides, you can see his straight line hamon in the picture.

IMO, this one is a true unicorn, I think its the first one he's ever done in this steel too.
Found the extra pic

Back