Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taka red handle gyutos are instock at carbon. Ordered one yesterday. Kinda felt weird about it as this is will be the third time picking one up but for the price I’m not sure what other yo handles can compete ($180-190) for a 210mm. If anyone has a suggestion please lemme know.

Hope this isn't in poor taste, but would someone mind telling me what the price on the migaki Raquin was? I'm at a conference for work and my internet cut out 2 minutes before the drop.

Hope this isn't in poor taste, but would someone mind telling me what the price on the migaki Raquin was? I'm at a conference for work and my internet cut out 2 minutes before the drop.
If I had to guess, around $500

Taka red handle gyutos are instock at carbon. Ordered one yesterday. Kinda felt weird about it as this is will be the third time picking one up but for the price I’m not sure what other yo handles can compete ($180-190) for a 210mm. If anyone has a suggestion please lemme know.
Does it have to be yo handle?

I think if I was really in the mood for wa I’d just go grab a wakui or Kochi on a budget. Again, roads I’ve already traveled countless times. What were you thinking?
I just got one of the Ginsan hatsukokoro from homebutcher. It's very similar to the takamura blade. 2mm max spine width, so it's a legit laser. Wakui spine at handle tend to be around 3-4mm.

I just got one of the Ginsan hatsukokoro from homebutcher. It's very similar to the takamura blade. 2mm max spine width, so it's a legit laser. Wakui spine at handle tend to be around 3-4mm.
I was looking at that line, how would you compare it against an Ashi Ginga stainless?

I was looking at that line, how would you compare it against an Ashi Ginga stainless?
There are a number of differences between this an the Ashi. But they both perform pretty similar being that they're both thin-spined lasers.

It's not as refined as an Ashi. This one has concave both sides, I'd say close enough to 50/50. My ashi was slight right biased. Behind the edge thickness is about the same for first 10mm. The 20mm is slightly thicker on this than the ashi. Dimensions are probably the biggest difference. Ashi tends to be short in both length and height, while this one is a "long" 210, with more heel height. Spine thickness is also slightly different, but not significantly. Also, this one has a short length neck.

I say that it's more similar to a Takamura in length, height, convexity, grind, thickness measurements, profile, and even the short distance between the handle and choil.

I plan to make some modifications to mine to fit my hand better, primarily in the tight neck/choil area. I also have a replacement handle in the works. Stock handle feels just fine but I don't like the color that much. All in all, I'd recommend it as a solid stainless wa-handled laser.

Thanks for your thoughts @tostadas

Sounds like a decent performer, and considering the save30 promotion, it's less than half the cost of an Ashi. Good thing the promotion's over though, otherwise my restraint would really be tested...

🤭

Will probably mean my 255 KT has to leave the stable though (@deltaplex forgive me for breaking my buying rules for the year…)
59095ec2-c44e-4b5e-9faa-fdf3e67b676c_text.gif

According to a vendor in Japan the Blazen yo handle line was discontinued.
That’s what I heard from Miura too, some vendors may still have stocks. In any case Bonten Unryu yo handles are very similar, just in VG10. (King Tak Kong reports that Ryusen changed the HT on them, and brought the HRC up to 62 from the original 60)

Back