Knife for my mother

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kfergu10

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of gifting my mom a real knife for Christmas. She has never owned anything of decent quality and as a result used to cut herself all the time. I'm looking for something that is non-reactive, with a western style handle, and probably in a larger petty size. I'm worried about something too fragile as well, so nothing crazy thin. Any ideas?

The MAC Superior series has gotten great reviews from Cooks illustrated. They test their knife with a bunch of different people and get an overall rating. It appears that the MAC's have a wide range of people that like them. I would also consider the MAC santoku.

Fwiw, I'm gifting my mom a Tojiro 180 for xmas, I found the one without the metal bolsters to be thinner and lighter. She test drove a bunch of them at my house and ended up liking both stainless qualities of the VG10 and size of the 180 and the shape which I would describe as halfway between santoku and gyuto

I got my mum a Kaeru, which she loves and has adapted to fine. It's probably a bit further from what she's used to than you were aiming for (has a D-handle, etc.) but it's a great little knife.

8.5 inche MacPro, 20% off sale at c&m, or gessshin stainless if you’d like to venture into a J- handle.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of gifting my mom a real knife for Christmas. She has never owned anything of decent quality and as a result used to cut herself all the time. I'm looking for something that is non-reactive, with a western style handle, and probably in a larger petty size. I'm worried about something too fragile as well, so nothing crazy thin. Any ideas?
What about the Ashi Home set?
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/knife-sets/products/ashi-home-set

Get her Nenox bone handle.
Expensive but really pretty not fragile, very sharp, and easy to use.
Korin.com has 15% off knives right now.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Given me a lot to think about. She is going to be down at my house for my son's first Christmas. Would be a nice gift for her since she wants to cook with me.

Some retailers offer free stone sharpening. Ask for it. Very helpful for further maintenance, and most factory edges are weak

I like to gift the Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM 180 gyuto, a bit sturdier and more abuse resistant than the Misono which I personally prefer.

Back