Knife Trends: Then, now and back again,

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
I've only been buying J-knives for about seven years, before that it was Wustof and Sabatiers on my cutting board. I'm fascinated by what brands, knife designs and steels are the current fancy amongst KKFers—perhaps resulting from changing tastes, tech advancements or just plain good marketing, product buzz, or the thrill of the 'new'.

I'd mentioned on a past thread that my intro to J-knives seven years ago was through ChefTalk. Back then the hot commodities were Masamoto HC and Misono UX10—I own both. Though my tastes in knives have changed, the Mas HC and UX10 are still good knives, I use the HC as my beater and the UX10 sometimes when traveling—though my preference has shifted towards wa carbons.

Other knives I can recall–during my short time as a J-knife buyer–having their bright moment in the sun are:
Global
Kikuichi TKC (I've yet to see a WTB on this knife)
Watanabe
Gengetsu
Masamoto KS (popular a while back, and then experienced a renaissance)
Kato and Konosuke Fujiyama are two knives that have now appreciated in valuation significantly
Aritsugu A-Type
Workhorses and middleweights seem to be discussed more than lasers these days

Some of these still highly coveted, some have lost their luster in the eyes of J-knife aficionados.

Can't help but wonder which knives will maintain their cache ten years from now?

Two brands I would throw out there for the KKF hype in the early days
would be Carter and Mizuno. Basically anything that salty touched
around 2010-era videos would have been on people's radar here,
not that he was hyping anything in particular, its more that they
among the better knives out there (apparently).

Here’s a recommendation you don’t see much anymore: Tosa.

Last edited:
I actually still have my Masahiro VC 240 along with Masamoto’s VC and CT gyutos from 1995 along with a Aritsugu A type back from when KCMA was still with us. Ikkanshi Tadatsuna is a maker you hardly hear of anymore. I think a lot of domestic Knifemakers and smiths have just busted everything wide open from where it was say 7-10 years ago.

Sakai Yusuke were flavour of the month for some time back in around 2013-2014. The extra thick extra hard stainless were practically unicorns. I still have one in 210, and the standard thin white steel mono in 240. Frankly, the latter is a far better cutter.

I bet Aritsugu makes good knives but hard to get..

Because that is a basic Japanese knife business model...the knife is branded with the retail shop's name instead the knife maker's name. Aritsugu doesn't make knives and the shops that make the Aritsugu knives make knives for any number of brands...

I actually still have my Masahiro VC 240 along with Masamoto’s VC and CT gyutos from 1995 along with a Aritsugu A type back from when KCMA was still with us. Ikkanshi Tadatsuna is a maker you hardly hear of anymore. I think a lot of domestic Knifemakers and smiths have just busted everything wide open from where it was say 7-10 years ago.
Buying another tadatsuna is on my short list for sure.

In ten years: people will start eating and cooking more veg, Nakiri will replace Gyuto as the most talked about knife, everyone will want a single bevel Usuba all of a sudden. Fish will become more rare, Deba will become unicorns.

Buying another tadatsuna is on my short list for sure.

Where does one buy Ikkanshi Tadatsuna gyutos in the States? I've only seen them listed on Aframe's site. BTW, curious on why Tadatsuna's on your short list, as opposed to other lasers out there (Ginga, Yasuke, Konosuke, etc.)—is it the profile, steel, rarity, nostalgia?

Last edited:
Really like tadatsuna profile, it just seems different from konosuke. Also really like ginsanko steel, although swed stainless in the gesh ginga is fine too.
Also has cool kanji, sorta like shig but even better:eek:

I had a friend pick up an A-type while in Japan recently, after some time on the stones I’m reminded how dang good they are/were for the price. Not to mention the other Aritsugu knives I picked up while working there years ago. Still a joy to use, utilitarian soldiers. Also tough to not mention the Kikuichi warkomi gold. Sharpens like a carbon and holds a terrific edge for what it is!

Yeah aframes is the only place I’m aware of that ships to the US. If you favor western handles they offer them a little cheaper for some reason.

Yeah aframes is the only place I’m aware of that ships to the US. If you favor western handles they offer them a little cheaper for some reason.

Though a State, a lot of people who grew up in Hawai'i do consider themselves as distinctly different from mainlanders—maybe in a similar way that Texans I know feel unique. We've just been a State since 1959—and just a mere seven years older than the New Orlean Saints. Hawai'i's popular Queen overthrown in 1893 by the US. Islanders are proudly raised on a diet of Spam musubis, malasadas, saimin, Ahi poke and plate lunches.

Yes, the well touristed areas of Hawai'i are very crowded with wealthy Japanese and Chinese tourists—may as well be Japan, some restaurant menus bi-lingual. Much to the detriment of the local economy for locals—housing and cost of living quite high.

Really wanted to visit Aframes, a reasonable drive from where I was staying, but that damned Hurricane Lane threw a wrench in the vacation plans.

Last edited:
I predict that there'll be an interest in non-Japanese knifemakers.
While I can't say for the other side of the pond, I feel that we have a number of great knifemakers: Marko, Devin, Joe Calton, Will at Catchside, Ed, etc, etc, etc.

IMHO, many of these makers are the equal of some of the best of the Japanese makers...and more flexible too

While I can't say for the other side of the pond, I feel that we have a number of great knifemakers: Marko, Devin, Joe Calton, Will at Catchside, Ed, etc, etc, etc.

IMHO, many of these makers are the equal of some of the best of the Japanese makers...and more flexible too

While I agree that there are many talented Western kitchen knife makers producing stunning examples—all that you've mentioned are from what I consider to be high-end, luxury market of knives, where there's either a waiting list or you're hard pressed finding a gyuto in the sub-$400 range. "Best" is subjective—my Marko is one of my fave knives constantly used, but IMO not the best bang-for-buck—"best value/bang-for-buck" of I'll award to my Mazaki.

I'm anxious to see where the middle ground ends up—somewhere between the high-end artisan knifesmiths and the mass produced Misen. Probably more collaborations of knifemakers and big manufactures, like what Kramer has going with Zwilling.

Whatever happened to that collaboration that Rodrigue was doing with Lamson years ago?

Last edited:
In ten years: people will start eating and cooking more veg, Nakiri will replace Gyuto as the most talked about knife, everyone will want a single bevel Usuba all of a sudden. Fish will become more rare, Deba will become unicorns.
You pretend like people don't prepare a lot of vegetables already. Gyuto and Cleaver will still reign supreme plants or no plants.

Their is nothing honest about your opinion.

For a unique custom blade, some excellent western knives. They are expensive so a select market.

In the 150-350$ price range there are plenty awesome Japanese gyuto's.

Their is nothing honest about your opinion.

Umm, it is my honest opinion.

I've spent about $1200 on Japanese knives from Heiji, and some other top tier makers (as well as handled lots of blades in Japan). I've also spent a fairly high amount of money on Japanese woodworking tools and sharpening stones. Furthermore, my friend is a highly regarded 3rd generation sushi chef...and lets me handle his blades.

This definitely isn't a knock against japanese blades smiths...just that I've been quite favorably impressed with some American Smiths (Joe Calton, Northbay forge (nonkitchen), Pinewood forge (nonkitchen). Also, Joe Calton's chef knives start about $210.

(edit to update pricing)

Last edited:
I'm pretty interested to follow this thread, since I don't know what's out there.
After getting my Calton Chinese cleaver and Heiji Santoku, I haven't had knife lust...

It's been a few years since I've followed any of the new trends or makers.

Latest posts

Back