Knife tuning in the Netherlands?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolfK

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have seen quite some Dutch guys around here, nice! Maybe they can help me out:

My question is if there are any (hobby) knife makers in the Netherlands who can tune my Mizuno Tanrenjo carbon cleaver of 230mm?

I have some wishes like thinning, add a finger rest, get more distal taper, patinate.

anyone knows a good adress?
Thanks! Rolf

I sent out a gyuto to jürgen schanz (Germany) for thinning, happy with the results. (Was a hiromoto honyaki).

Thanks man, that might be good, I will try it.
Nice blade btw, your hiromoto honyaki 😀
Cheers Rolf

Let us know how it works out for you. My gyuto is the budget version, seriously thin and nice cutter now :) (tip is silly thin and flex now)

Last edited:
I believe this topic is appropriate for my question aswell.
I am looking for talented woodworker in the EU, that could do custom handles for some of my knives. And does Jürgen also do sharpening?

Yes I just got feedback from Jürgen: he will do the job. First add the finger rest and do some thinning. Maybe after that, he can improve the distal taper, but that's a more complex and bigger job for a cleaver.

Sharpening will be no problem for him I guess, that's part of the daily job. But don't know about handles...

You can contact him through his website - he's a nice guy and quite fast with replies. cheers Rolf

Forgot to say - just saw you live in Germany. If you don’t know it already, I would check out the kochmalscharf.de website for local experts. There are quite some (hobby) knife makers. Maybe they can help you out. Don’t have to speak English over there 😀
Grusse und wiedersehen Rolf

From his Insta account I can find this:
1590507140574.png

(i don't know Dan, just really like what I saw online. He is or used to have an account here if I am not mistaken)

So, my knife returned from Jürgen, and I’m very happy with the results! The cutting performance is much better now. With a thin edge (for a cleaver) and a distal taper from about 4mm heel to a 1mm tip. The new finger guard gives the freedom of moving my grip more forward. So you get more balance with this heavy dude.

I’m a bit surprised by this knife tuning, a good blade can turn into a great one. In this case it could be a better choice than selling and buying knives all the time 😬

Back