Knives with good distal taper?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
What are good $250-$400 range knives with great distal taper? I am looking at non wide bevel mid-weight gyutos.
Merci.

Dan Prendergast looks interesting, the one in BST is a tad short for my preference.
@Spipet, do you owe one or it's just based on JNS' pictures?

Kochi, Yoshikane black damascus, Masamoto KS. All great distal taper, obviously the Masamoto is thinner above heel that kochi and Yoshi but still great distal taper.

I’ll throw watanabe KU in there too

Masamoto KS fits in that price bracket with classic distal taper

Yoshikane skd has amazing distal taper, + 1 on the mazaki. In my experience, Sanjo knives tend to show good to amazing distal taper.

My take:

It 's nice when the heal is thick enough to power through some tough stuff- like pumpkin. And the tip is thin enough to dice onions and the produce with little resistance.*

*The professional chefs/cooks..can better educate you in the virtues of a distal taper.

It feels different, but not necessarily better. Lighter at the tip and heavier where your hand sits on the knife.
It makes a knife feel pointer and narrower than it really is, if that makes sense. Kinda like a steel wand and less like a bar of steel. There are some times where you wouldn't want your knife to feel like that, depending on your style and the job at hand.

I like it! ;)

Last edited:
the original sabs had distal taper so they are traditionally part of a chef knife design

Dan Prendergast looks interesting, the one in BST is a tad short for my preference.
@Spipet, do you owe one or it's just based on JNS' pictures?
I own one. I made some quick measurements of the 270:

Spine
-at handle: 5.4
-at heel: 4.58
-halfway: 2.51
-5cm before tip: 1.58
-3cm before tip: 1.12
-1 cm before tip: 0.6
Weight: 253 grams

Can't get any better than this in my opinion

I own one. I made some quick measurements of the 270:

Spine
-at handle: 5.4
-at heel: 4.58
-halfway: 2.51
-5cm before tip: 1.58
-3cm before tip: 1.12
-1 cm before tip: 0.6
Weight: 253 grams

Can't get any better than this in my opinion

Much appreciated Spipet. New Mazaki looks very temping

Does Dan P. accept custom orders, anybody knows?

I believe Dan does. You can try messaging him on here, or if you prefer, try him on instagram, he’s fairly active there. Quick google should bring up his Instagram page.

Dan has a 256 wa-gyuto available in his store now.

http://www.prendergastknives.com/product/256mm-chef

3A5248A8-7598-4490-8C9F-9646D1916278.jpeg

Dan doesn't accept custom orders per se, but he'll discuss with you what he's got coming up and try match something to what you want.
Much appreciated Spipet. New Mazaki looks very temping

Does Dan P. accept custom orders, anybody knows?

I've just bought a knife from him. He's not currently accepting custom orders but he was very willing to chat about what he has coming up and try match me with what I was after.

Drop him an email.

Back