Kramer knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been using Japanese knives for a while now, and I’m interested in getting a Kramer 8 inch, specifically the 52100 carbon version. Anyone out there with one that can tell me how they are? I’ve heard good things, and if you have a decent choil shot of one I’d like to see it, thank you!

I have a 10 inch SG2 version. I would say it is very heavy...like 305 grams heavy. And the grind is more on the workhorse side. It wedges and the food sticks at the same time. I've just had it for a month so the food release might get better as the surface becomes less smooth. Overall, I don't like its performance so far.

HOWEVER, it looks gorgeous. My wife says it looks better than my Kono Fuji which I like the most.

ive been using Japanese knives for a while now, and I’m interested in getting a Kramer 8 inch, specifically the 52100 carbon version. Anyone out there with one that can tell me how they are? I’ve heard good things, and if you have a decent choil shot of one I’d like to see it, thank you!

At my local Zwilling store they have buy one get one free on all knives.

I too have the SG2 version, and was lucky enough to play with all of their knives in store.

The 52100 was definitely easier to work with, but the Sg2 just looked way better

I have a 10" version in 52100 and am amazed at how good it is. It glides through food.

if you can make it to the king of prussia mall the sur la table should have a demo. I'd call first tho just to check. I've had the carbon since 2013. It does better with a little thinning but cuts well stock.

I have a 10 inch SG2 version. I would say it is very heavy...like 305 grams heavy. And the grind is more on the workhorse side. It wedges and the food sticks at the same time. I've just had it for a month so the food release might get better as the surface becomes less smooth. Overall, I don't like its performance so far.

HOWEVER, it looks gorgeous. My wife says it looks better than my Kono Fuji which I like the most.

The name just doesn't come to me right now, but if it's the knife I am thinking of, it's made for that tip on the board always cut that people give different names and it will deliver very good performance. Very fast and efficient at even 8". Anything other than that was pretty much a pain to use with volume.
And yes, looks just great.

I've had three Meiji aeb-l 10" 8" 6", and two Damascus SG2 10" and 6" so far ... sadly no personal experience with carbon, yet!
I hear carbon one is an amazing cutter, though on a heavier side of things. Don't know about food release. I did hear from several people that if you're good at thinning it you can get to near-real-kramer perf. Apparently holds an edge longer than even damascus sg2 one .. or I should say 'feels' sharper for longer.
Damascus acid etch does have friction through food .. goes away after months of use though. Don't try to polish it off faster, it will ruin the look. SG2 is great for me, though grind is a bit fat, it does wedge. The handle is fine, though there's a slight step in pins. It is, most certainly, striking to look at.
Meiji, while thinnest of all 3 types (only by a little) and isn't really thin, also slightly wedges through food. Amazingly comfortable handle for me though. Good looking to my eyes.
10" models have a great 5.5" flat spot (should be the same on carbon, so consider that if you need some flat)
8" are quite nimble for their weight, great balance, flat spot is smaller, but still there. The belly is usable, even though I like flat knives.
6" is too curvy on Meiji for me, but not so bad on Damascus, thought I'd prefer flatter still.
The height on all models is addictive .. anything less then 45mm now feels like a petty.

25% off on home butcher website. Custom handle kramers

Cool looking knife, feels good in hand, big confident blade. Nice distal taper actually and really thin at the tip. Unfortunately it’s flat ground so everything sticks like glue. Even with the discount you could find a better performer with less.

Cool looking knife, feels good in hand, big confident blade. Nice distal taper actually and really thin at the tip. Unfortunately it’s flat ground so everything sticks like glue. Even with the discount you could find a better performer with less.
The 25% off code applies to the original Zwilling Kramers too. $262 for a 10 inch 52100. Very good deal IMHO.

I also have a 10 inch 52100.
It was a bit thick behind the Edge, and IT affected its cutting.
But as soon I gave it a thinning, it was a whole different story.
Now it cuts very well, and I'm happy with it.
And as someone mentioned: it looks gorgeous.

So if you are up to the task og thinning and polishing it, then its a great knife.

Latest posts

Back