Laser gyuto for professional kitchen recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aszma

Reaction score
Looking to add a new gyuto to my knife roll as ive recently moved to a new restaurant where majority of my prep are root vegetables (carrots, beets, turnips, potatos, ect) and all my knives lean towards the more beefier workhorse side leading to a decent amount of wedging. Im in a good financial spot and its been a while since ive bought a new knife so i figured its time to invest in a new gyuto. I dont have an experience with lasers would love some recommendations.

Knife type:
Looking for a Thin Laserish gyuto with a flatter profile wa handle preferred between 225-240mm. I really enjoy blue 2 and 52100 steel but open to anything

Use:
Will be used 5 days a week several hours a day in a professional setting

buy that 240mm kono hd on bst. good value and will go through dense veg quite easily.
noted ive heard good things about the kono HD series i do want to wait to see if anyone has any carbon recommendations before i pull the trigger on anything

I really like the Matsubara. You get the thin geometry behind the edge, but they tend to come in on the tall side, so you get the benefit of some added weight. The one I had was as if you took one of the thinner SS Watanabe, and shaved off another 30g.

The flat profile for a laser (-ish) gyuto always throws a wrench in the mix. Mostly they tend to have some curve to the profile for some reason, but this Shiro Kamo Carbon damascus should fit the bill pretty nicely? Doesn't get talked about ever, but is surprisingly effective.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knife...3-08-22-12-33-182013-08-22-12-33-18-15-detail
And it's B2 for good measure. I have the B2 migaki version (discontinued), owned the KU version too, and the migaki has one long and lovely flat profle with a nicely rolling tip if that's you're thing. The dammy is very close to it. The F&F is fine with eased edges on choil and spine. Handle is nice too. Well made convex grind that's thin behind the edge. Should serve very well when battling some root veggies. Good edge retention for B2, slightly better than S. Tanaka, but not quite as smooth on the stones. Very attractive price for what you get. Pretty reactive bugger though.

Wakui Migaki/Hairline is a no brainer recommendation for the desired profile, grind and performance, but it's White2 steel. Superb F&F and incredible value for $. Closer to middleweight so not really a laser, but sure cut's like one.

Last edited:
If you're okay with a k-tip, the Shibata Koutetsu has a very flat profile and is quite lasery. Kobayashi gyutos also have a sizable flat spot (with just a bit of recurve toward the heel) and an upswept tip with some belly so it's also good for rocking. I haven't used one myself, but the profile is intriguing and I've heard nothing but good things.

Hmmmm ain't Yoshikane W#2 worth a damn good look? Not a laser per strict definition, but pretty much is in any strict food cutting, while being a much more comfortable tool on the long preps. Laser spines tend to be fatiguing, lightweight or not, and then many a laser choil too. Konosuke usual nicely rounded 2.6-2.8mm at heel/smoothed arc choil really take a stance in keeping strain out in extended cutting sessions. But for a flat profile they're a bit of a bad choice.

Yoshi gets you in the Carbon territory, easily within price. If you want it really blade heavy hunt for one with a "regular" handle like sellers regularly offer them. If you want it to be balanced a bit more "neutrally" get it with KnS.

If you're okay with a k-tip, the Shibata Koutetsu has a very flat profile and is quite lasery. Kobayashi gyutos also have a sizable flat spot (with just a bit of recurve toward the heel) and an upswept tip with some belly so it's also good for rocking. I haven't used one myself, but the profile is intriguing and I've heard nothing but good things.
It is lasery indeed, and the profile is flat, but they feel smaller/shorter than measurements suggest (because grip can be little bit forward on that choil shape), so 240 would be better than the shorter one. I had an opportunity to cut some hard vegetables with it and I was impressed.

I really like the Matsubara. You get the thin geometry behind the edge, but they tend to come in on the tall side, so you get the benefit of some added weight. The one I had was as if you took one of the thinner SS Watanabe, and shaved off another 30g.
Will definetly be checking a matsubara put then bc i love my wat

Hmmmm ain't Yoshikane W#2 worth a damn good look? Not a laser per strict definition, but pretty much is in any strict food cutting, while being a much more comfortable tool on the long preps. Laser spines tend to be fatiguing, lightweight or not, and then many a laser choil too. Konosuke usual nicely rounded 2.6-2.8mm at heel/smoothed arc choil really take a stance in keeping strain out in extended cutting sessions. But for a flat profile they're a bit of a bad choice.

Yoshi gets you in the Carbon territory, easily within price. If you want it really blade heavy hunt for one with a "regular" handle like sellers regularly offer them. If you want it to be balanced a bit more "neutrally" get it with KnS.

Yoshikane got the exact profile i like but not the biggest fan of white steel tbh ive had 1-2 white steel blades the edge just doesnt last as long. I love that my wat and toyama can go through hours of prep before they need a touch up

I can assure you it won't be close at all. I mean I fully endorse @tostadas lead on Mats being sort of like Wats/Toys SS-clad in a thinner fashion, but depending on handle and what you cut, you'd be more reliably talking monkeys and koalas.

Yoshikane got the exact profile i like but not the biggest fan of white steel tbh ive had 1-2 white steel blades the edge just doesnt last as long. I love that my wat and toyama can go through hours of prep before they need a touch up

As an add-on I'd rather pick the SKD variation: gets you close enough to Carbons and won't be a PITA in pro use.

I can assure you it won't be close at all. I mean I fully endorse @tostadas lead on Mats being sort of like Wats/Toys SS-clad in a thinner fashion, but depending on handle and what you cut, you'd be more reliably talking monkeys and koalas.

And Yoshikane SKD is truly what you want. From this cross-referencing here I'm almost adamant it will just stand awesome to your requirements/love for Wat/steel to use in pro settings.

It's similar in the tall blade, and profile with a decent flat in the back and a gentle belly as you approach the tip. However, the grind is far different. Watanabe has a full convex grind, and matsubara has more of a double hollow grind; one up to the shinogi, and another hollow on the top half. For hard produce like fat root veggies, the matsubara really shines.

Hey, seeing if anyone wants to part with an oversized takeda 210 classic gyuto.

Ideally over 220mm
Must be ironclad not stainless
Prefer the KU to be in good shape as opposed to stripped away
Interested in the tall gyuto not the sasanoha

PM away!
You might want to check out the kono YS. It’s yoshikane and the steel seemed really great. I didn’t get to sharpen mine, but it had as good of ootb edge that I’ve ever had. It will have the profile you want and laserish with a little bit more spine towards the heel to give you confidence. I really liked mine. I still think about backtracking and picking one up.

You might want to check out the kono YS. It’s yoshikane and the steel seemed really great. I didn’t get to sharpen mine, but it had as good of ootb edge that I’ve ever had. It will have the profile you want and laserish with a little bit more spine towards the heel to give you confidence. I really liked mine. I still think about backtracking and picking one up.

Just saying Kono YS are Yoshiksne SKD with a premium finish but somehow prone to be lower heels than Yoshi SKD. Probably from Konosuke requiring a profile a bit more closer to their usual, which in turns prohibits the usual Yoshi dead "downward Z" heel/choil area in sort of creating a relief at heel/going just those 1-2mm shorter that the "downward Z choil" isn't so dead stopping anymore.

Or not. But still something you can do with rounding some of the very heel point of Yoshi SKD saving 100$ USD and having a likely taller blade.

Shibata Kashima for the win, and a friend of mine has the AS which is also damn good. Goko Kogetsu also, if anything it’s even more of an ultimate laser than Shibata but it is mono white 1 if reactive steel would be an issue in your kitchen.

The edge on my Yoshi SKD lasts waaaaay longer than a Y Tanaka white #2 I had. Seems a bit delicate for a pro setting though.

R2 or AS Shibata is a good recommendation too.

What about something like this? Nice height to hold up to frequent sharpening. I have no personal experience with it but I’ve heard it described as a laser.
https://knivesandstones.us/products...shiji-gyuto-240mm?_pos=8&_sid=2da720c98&_ss=r

Just saying Kono YS are Yoshiksne SKD with a premium finish but somehow prone to be lower heels than Yoshi SKD. Probably from Konosuke requiring a profile a bit more closer to their usual, which in turns prohibits the usual Yoshi dead "downward Z" heel/choil area in sort of creating a relief at heel/going just those 1-2mm shorter that the "downward Z choil" isn't so dead stopping anymore.

Or not. But still something you can do with rounding some of the very heel point of Yoshi SKD saving 100$ USD and having a likely taller blade.
Yeah, I know I was giving him another Yoshikane option. Also, I’ve heard it can be skd, but is it surely skd or is that an assumption?

If you're budget is 400 euros it's easy to find. But my only suggestion would be (even if i'm not that experienced) to not use a knife longer than 210 mm to cut vegetable. Even if you have big hands. The best is to have combo with 150mm petty and 210mm gyuto when you are in the vegetable garnish station to slice and make brunoise. And if you are in a "choped vegetable" restaurant you know what i mean. You should use a nakiri then and not a 240 gyuto. Btw if you really need a 240mm gyuto i highly recommend a kiritsuke for vegetable to keep the choppy effect (choppy effect ? Does this work in english ?)

Ashi or kono hd2 is a solid choice, they get the job done they are pretty tough.

i like my shibata AS better but its out of stock everywhere.

kobayashi is a very nice knife, could be a great option depending on your style, for me it was too curvy and delicate.

yoshi is a crazy cutter, but super flat and short at heel..something to consider

If you're budget is 400 euros it's easy to find. But my only suggestion would be (even if i'm not that experienced) to not use a knife longer than 210 mm to cut vegetable. Even if you have big hands. The best is to have combo with 150mm petty and 210mm gyuto when you are in the vegetable garnish station to slice and make brunoise. And if you are in a "choped vegetable" restaurant you know what i mean. You should use a nakiri then and not a 240 gyuto. Btw if you really need a 240mm gyuto i highly recommend a kiritsuke for vegetable to keep the choppy effect (choppy effect ? Does this work in english ?)
8 years in pro kitchens a 240 has never let me down and has been pretty much all i need

Ashi or kono hd2 is a solid choice, they get the job done they are pretty tough.

i like my shibata AS better but its out of stock everywhere.

kobayashi is a very nice knife, could be a great option depending on your style, for me it was too curvy and delicate.

yoshi is a crazy cutter, but super flat and short at heel..something to consider
Geshin gingas would be another option i need to concider didnt even think of thay

When I went from 240 mm to 210 mm it had exactly the same effect on me as if I had shed 10 kg before a marathon. But it's up to you i respect this choice. I had a 240mm munetoshi gyuto if you like kuroushi true true true laser INCREDIBLE LASER knife it's not expensive and robust can find kasumi finish i'm pretty sure. But idk in texas. It's on JNS. And you have a kiritsuke version. The only good 240 i tried.

Latest posts

Back