Laser vaping for smoking secession

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoked cigarettes for 20 years. I quit a few times, a couple times for a year or two, but always ended up falling off the wagon. Switched to vape 3 years ago. Initially it was to help me quit completely, but I think I actually vape more than I ever smoked. It’s just so easy, take a hit whenever, don’t have to go outside, etc. I keep thinking about putting the vape down but it has a strong hold on me.

I'm not the most informed on this since I'm a non-smoker so I never really dove into it...
But I think the original question is a bit difficult to answer since most research on vaping (that I hear about at least) seems to focus mostly on comparing vaping to not vaping. Most of the legislation and concern about it is also focused on vaping as it is picked up by young and new smokers, both by itself and as a 'gateway drug', not as a tool to stop smoking (basically methadon for tobacco-addicts - where arguments about 'the lesser evil' can certainly make a lot of sense).

As to smoking and conspiracy theories... I'm sure any of the heirs mentioned in your will would highly encourage you to keep smoking cigarettes. Perhaps the best motivation to stop smoking is to spend some time on an oncology or respiratory ward...

Well I quit for 2 years twice, 3 years once, 6 years once.
Pretty ridiculous I know. My problem is many years after I’ve quit I’ve found myself in situations where I believe I can have just one cigarette for whatever reason but there’s no such thing as “just one smoke.” Lesson learned.

I smoked black and milds and cigarettes in my early 20s. Switched to vaping for a few years, always had a backpack with 10 different bottles of vape juice, extra coils, batteries, ugh... I hated it. Felt like such a ball and chain. I hated it leaking on me all the time, and the fact that I couldn't go anywhere without it. I think that's not a good feeling for any person, man or woman, to depend on something so much just to function. The frantic moment of panic when you can't find it and everything else goes on the backburner until you do. God that would always make me feel like such a bum, rifling through my stuff like a crazy person. Well anyway, when Covid hit in 2020, they kept talking about people with respiratory problems being more at risk. I was like hell no, screw that, not risking it, lungs are way too important, so I chucked every single vape related thing into the trash. Which was a lot. It worked though, and I stopped for like 2 years. Then, this last hurricane that hit us really hard about a year and a half ago, Ian, disrupted our way of life for a while. We were temporarily relocated a few hundred miles away, dealing with a lot of stress and uncertainty... all of the people around me were vaping, so I picked it back up again. Now it was even harder to kick, because in those two years it became common place for these disposable devices to be sold just about everywhere you go. No longer was there any barrier to entry, just a card tap away. 🙄 Long story short, I quit at the beginning of this year, cold turkey again, and I vow to never go back. I have nothing against anyone that does it, and as mentioned it's significantly better for you than smoking (I also read that study of it being something like 5% as damaging as cigarettes), but for me my health and happiness is more important. The constant monkey on my back is a terrible feeling. I love my gf very much and she also vapes... I used that as motivation as well. I want her to see that it can be done, because she's younger than me and has never been able to quit. I also want her and I to stick around for as long as possible. It's only uncomfortable for a week. Resign yourself to it and tell as many people in your life as possible, at work and at home, so you have extra accountability. If you can do that, you can conquer any bad habit... with the same game plan. Resign yourself to a week or two of being uncomfortable, while the new habits become normal habits, and it makes it a lot less intimidating.

Also, I do want to say this... there is a noticeable difference healthwise for anyone who goes from smoking to vaping, and it feels good, right? Well, there's just as much of a difference when you go from vaping to nothing at all. Another dramatic increase in your quality of life. It's worth it!!!

My better half smoked for probably 6ish years before we met. We have asthma, and she decided she didn’t want to kill me and that she was tired of the aforementioned health and social impacts of smoking. She’s quit cold turkey twice, for 3-4 months at a time, and when life has hit rough patches she’s gone “I just want one” and fallen back into it, only to begin quitting a few months later and repeating the cycle. It’s a rough process and you have to be ready to say no, and keep saying no even after you think you’re free of them. I don’t envy it, but it’s like any addiction I suppose it sneaks its way back into your life.

Over the past 3, maybe 4 years she’s switched to vaping. Disposables, so no fancy lasers. Been considering trying to get her onto non disposables since it’d be significantly cheaper than buying a new unit every week or two, but then I’d probably be doing any form of maintenance involved. Some new disposables stateside have switched to ceramic coils as well, which are supposed to burn a lot cleaner than the metal ones. I’ll probably look at these laser units, she’s talked about quitting since she got into vapes and it hasn’t happened and frankly it might not so I may as well lessen the impact on her body if I can.

I’ll say as a person who finds smokers nauseating, her quitting has been excellent. Literally everything around her smells better. Her breathing has massively improved as well. I would be surprised if her sense of taste isn’t better as well since there’s no way you can be around something as strong as cigarettes 24/7 since it’s in your lungs and not have some reduction in senses as delicate as smell and taste. I’m no longer having asthma attacks by being near her at the wrong time.

It’s not perfect of course. Vape juice is frankly probably more addictive than cigarettes, since it still had nicotine, but unlike cigs it also smells/tastes good so there’s not a huge incentivize for people to get off it, She was a very light smoker, 1-2 cigs a day so comparatively vaping is more expensive for sure. Also, we’re in a tiny apartment so if it’s during exam times and she’s hitting it hard, it can still linger. I don’t really believe the folks who say it’s just water vapor that gets emitted, because my asthma still doesn’t do well without opening a window during those times. Nowhere near as bad as cigs at any time, but still present.

If you’re going to quit, either select juices that meet your nicotine goals to wean yourself off it, and stick to your plan of quitting. Otherwise you’ll get stuck in the vapor juice treadmill of constant new flavors. Regardless, while I find vaping to be gross as well, you’re much, much, much better off doing it than you are smoking.

I really can’t vouch for the patch enough. Start with 21mg patch per day then ween yourself down to 14mg then finally 7mg. 10 weeks is what’s recommend. And you can address the oral fixation in the meantime with gum sunflower seeds etc It’s 2 1/2 months but the slow weening process works and it’s realistically the best way to quit, especially over cold turkey. I do give you cold turkey guys props though!

Wow, ya I feel that though. It may sound a bit pathetic but one of the things I’m most proud of is quitting smoking. At least you know you can do it bc you have before

There is absolutely nothing pathetic about that!

My oldest sister was the toughest person I've ever known. And I've known some tough people.

Let's say we didn't have the nicest childhood. There were five of us but she had it the worst. Really bad. But she was always our protector and would jump in front of a train if it meant helping one of us. She helped everyone, friends, family and strangers. She could wrangle cattle, tend bar, chop wood, and still nurture and care.

She beat everything that ever came at her.

During her entire lung cancer treatment she still snuck cigarettes. It was the one thing she could never overcome.

Quitting smoking is hard and you damn sure should be proud of it.

Back