Laser vaping for smoking secession

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
There has been a recent analysis showing that vaping is one of or the most effective way to stop smoking. The laser vaping doesn't contain toxic metals from the heating coil. Anyone use a laser vaping device with a simple non or low toxicity nicotine compound?

Just quit, one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but I was a pack a day smoker for 15 years and would have never believed it but quitting cold turkey works and it was the best approach in my experience. After a few days the chemical dependence is technically gone and it just comes down to sitting through the mental discomfort of a craving. You can do it

Just quit, one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but I was a pack a day smoker for 15 years and would have never believed it but quitting cold turkey works and it was the best approach in my experience. After a few days the chemical dependence is technically gone and it just comes down to sitting through the mental discomfort of a craving. You can do it
I agree with this advice. I was a pack/day plus for about 12 years and I quit cold turkey as well. But I didn’t think it was too bad. Spend some time really thinking about it what you get from smoking and the many, many things it is taking from you. If you really want to stop, you can and will.

When I tried quitting with gum, I realized I was prolonging my dependency and my misery. Cold turkey is really tough for a few days but gets way easier after that initial withdrawal period.

same here, the nicotine craving lasts less long then you may now think...it's the addition to the physical activity and taking mini breaks that is more difficult to get around.

Keep track of your savings, it's fun seeing that build up rapidly and you can set a reward/periodic rewards for yourself using those $$.

One caution; coffee may taste sour as heck for a couple of weeks, drove me nuts to work that one out.

I smoked for around 30 years. I did the "regular" vape thing to help get started but I soon realized there is only one way. As Mike said, you just have to quit. Yes it is hard but yes you can do it. Set yourself up for success as best you can and understand (and let others know) you will likely be anxious and growly but you will survive. Quitting sucks but it will not kill you. You can do it. And if you fail, don't beat yourself up. Just go at it again.

Quitting is a gift unlike any other you can give yourself. I'm pulling for you buddy and again, you can do it! Hell, if you need to, pop in here each day for an update and pep talk.

I gave it up around ten years ago now.

Born & up to teenage years in Virginia. Early 1950's plenty people smoked. Smoking ads everywhere. Even our doctor smoked. My Mom never did. My Father a pipe. I ran track & cross-country never had reason to take up habit. Some of my ancestors grew tobacco in VA.

Came to Hawaii Early 1970's surfed, drank pitchers of beer & smoked pakalolo. Don't do that anymore.

🤪

I would say go cold turkey you can do it.

same here, the nicotine craving lasts less long then you may now think...it's the addition to the physical activity and taking mini breaks that is more difficult to get around.

Keep track of your savings, it's fun seeing that build up rapidly and you can set a reward/periodic rewards for yourself using those $$.

One caution; coffee may taste sour as heck for a couple of weeks, drove me nuts to work that one out.

I never smoked, but still take a lot of mini breaks :p

OT:
Most of the success stories I know are indeed stopping cold turkey. Seems that if you have really made up your mind a large part of the battle is won.

One thing that worked I would've never believed had I not seen it myself, was acupuncture. My mom did that and has not smoked for over 15 years since.

I smoked for around 30 years. I did the "regular" vape thing to help get started but I soon realized there is only one way. As Mike said, you just have to quit. Yes it is hard but yes you can do it. Set yourself up for success as best you can and understand (and let others know) you will likely be anxious and growly but you will survive. Quitting sucks but it will not kill you. You can do it. And if you fail, don't beat yourself up. Just go at it again.

Quitting is a gift unlike any other you can give yourself. I'm pulling for you buddy and again, you can do it! Hell, if you need to, pop in here each day for an update and pep talk.

I gave it up around ten years ago now.

I work in primary care and have a lot visits with patients regarding smoking cessation. A few points

1. Vaping is not healthy. It should not be considered a long term alternative to other tobacco products. Studies show that it can be used as a part of a treatment plan HOWEVER most studies show that more people who quit tobacco altogether remain quit after 1 year while those who switch to vape continue to vape

2. Cold turkey is not the only strategy to quit. Yes it works for some folks but not everyone. Which is why we have a lot of other options for quiting: nicotine replacement, Chantix (my 1st line recommendation), bupriprion, behavioral therapy, and even hypnosis

3. Tobacco and nicotine are the devil. I just got back home yesterday from the hospital where I watched my wife's grandma die in a critical care unit at the age of 72 because she smoked since she was 13 years old. Respiratory failure.

Ultimately if your friend is ready to quit he should meet with his PCP to discuss which strategy (or combination of strategies) works best for him

They had to Crack down on vaping here middle & high school students doing it.

Since smokers are relegated out by the garbage dumpsters. You see guys outside their own house smoking. You can hardly smoke anywhere puplic these days. It maybe friends you hung with that got you started, but not the case anymore. Even more reason to quit.

Once again it is not for me. My friend recently quit for 5 days and went back. If cold turkey was such a great way to quit than why is it so ineffective?

Only 4 to 7 percent of smokers that try to quit "cold turkey" are successful in staying smokefree. The rest of us need a plan.May 31, 2023

What to Expect When Quitting Smoking

View attachment 293231
American Lung Association
https://www.lung.org › quit-smoking › i-want-to-quit
There is no great way, that’s kind of the point. But picking up another potentially harmful nicotine delivery device seems like a poor idea to me. Best of luck to your friend.

I work in primary care and have a lot visits with patients regarding smoking cessation. A few points

1. Vaping is not healthy. It should not be considered a long term alternative to other tobacco products. Studies show that it can be used as a part of a treatment plan HOWEVER most studies show that more people who quit tobacco altogether remain quit after 1 year while those who switch to vape continue to vape

2. Cold turkey is not the only strategy to quit. Yes it works for some folks but not everyone. Which is why we have a lot of other options for quiting: nicotine replacement, Chantix (my 1st line recommendation), bupriprion, behavioral therapy, and even hypnosis

3. Tobacco and nicotine are the devil. I just got back home yesterday from the hospital where I watched my wife's grandma die in a critical care unit at the age of 72 because she smoked since she was 13 years old. Respiratory failure.

Ultimately if your friend is ready to quit he should meet with his PCP to discuss which strategy (or combination of strategies) works best for him
There is a study that came to the conclusion that vaping has about 5% of the health risk as regular smoking and that's almost for sure with the heated coil type of vaping. One shouldn't throw out the good for the perfect.

Also your cravings for a smoke psychological after purged from your system. It's good to do exercise to counter nervous energy time on your hands wanting a smoke.

Tho never smoked tobacco, have had friends who did & quit. Exercise easy at first that makes you breathe harder.

For me at least it's better to have a friend to do training walks with Lucky my close friend is fitness fanatic. I introduced him to our hiking group.

We do some challenging summit hikes. It's not just for fitness, blowing trade winds, sound of birds, our tribe of like minded nature lovers. Out to lunch together after. Going on 3 years now lasting friendships lots of laughter. I've taught all of them how to sharpen knives.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Yes smoking is underestimated as it's more or less an 'accepted' addiction.
All loss sucks, but the cases where it did not necessarily have to be this way sting a little extra. And there are a LOT of them.

There is a study that came to the conclusion that vaping has about 5% of the health risk as regular smoking and that's almost for sure with the heated coil type of vaping. One shouldn't throw out the good for the perfect.
problem is that there always is a study that supports what you tend to think. It's long term data and meta analyses that usually bring out the true risks. Attributing that risk to heated coil is non scientific as can be lacking any info on laser heated vaping so I'd be hesitant to even mention it.

Smoking sucks, smokers suck, quitting sucks too...pick your poison but get help if you feel you need it, it can be done in true DIY style but that is not a must ;-)

I smoked cigarettes for about forty years. Ten years ago, I changed to vaping and haven't had a cigarette since.

The advice from my doctor was "vaping is something like 20 times less harmful than smoking."

First-hand experience is that vaping dramatically changed my life for the better. I no longer get coughing fits. I can breathe freely instead of being permanently congested and short of breath. My sense of smell has returned. My clothes don't stink anymore. My car doesn't stink anymore. I have a much better chance of not dying of cancer. I don't get regular respiratory infections and bronchitis like I used to. I'm less of a burden on the public health system.

I'm still a nicotine addict, sure, but one with a vastly improved quality of life. To me, that's a big win. It's still not perfect, but infinitely better than before.

I quite in April 2014 and have vaped since. My GF is completely nic free and I am at 3mg which is basically nothing.

The studies thing kills me as most studies that demonize vaping are paid for by big pharma or big tobacco in some way or another and has been proven. A lot of the prestige universities did them and told us how bad vaping is till one saw who financed the studies and then they were taken down when called out.

Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos, cardiologist, out of Greece did a bunch of studies that literally showed the studies were true or pointed out how the studies were done incorrectly. He post a lot of things on his Twitter and they are good reads. I trust him more than anyone as he was tired of all these scare tactics that are being done to keep people on the smokes as sick people bring in a lot more money than healthy one.

For me it was the best choice. I build my own coils, mix my own liquid so I know what I am using. Everyone has to make their own choice though, I know for me that when I stopped I started getting sick a lot less well till we started sending our little one to day care as that is breeding ground for chemical warfare.

My grandpa smoked until he was 96, n=1 is not good science...big pharma is highy regulated and controlled these days and I can guarantee you they have NO interest in doing any costly study for an item they do not market.

Last edited:
So much that is on internet is jaded information. Finding out who is financing what is a indicator. In the USA & I'm sure other places too kickbacks & other forms of support for Senators & Congess. Tobacco was a big one in the past there were huge profits to be made to keep people smoking. The food industry is another big one. It's proven that sugar is addictive as cocane. Why then are sugar everything on lower shelves so kids can get hooked at a young age. Most processed foods have sugar or worse high fructose corn syrup. Processed food is billions of dollars they aren't paying doctor bills fo a worldwide epidemic of obesity & diabetes. American life expectancy is going down even with all the drugs to keep us going. Processed food like potato chips that I used wipe out a whole bag in couple days.

My grandpa smokes until he was 96, n=1 is not good science...big pharma is highy regulated and controlled these days and I can guarantee you they have NO interest in doing any costly study for an item they do not market.
Weird as most of the university studies are funded by them. While they and tobacco also bought their way into the vaping market.

Weird as most of the university studies are funded by them. While they and tobacco also bought their way into the vaping market.
please read up on how publishing scientific papers works, regardless of who is funding a study the science is scrutinized and results are reviewed.

my doctor told me they don't really know the affects, positive or negative from Vaping. not from the med side of the house.

I can't imagine quitting smoking. it looks difficult as hell. I had to go find my mom's cousin right after his heart surgery. he was trying to sneak out to smoke. the addiction had a solid hold.

I do know every living creature on the planet runs from smoke. thankfully, I never started.

my doctor told me they don't really know the affects, positive or negative from Vaping. not from the med side of the house.
The current medical opinion is that vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes, but that vaping is not harmless.

Seeing that nothing gets burned when vaping (the liquid is vaporised instead), and that there are thousands of chemicals in cigarette smoke that are known to be harmful and/or carcinogenic, I think it is a safe bet that vaping is considerably safer. It'll take twenty years to find out how much safer. Even then—once we have accumulated much more data—with almost no regulations as to what can and can't be in vape liquid, it will be difficult to give a definitive single answer.

My first-hand experience suggests that vaping is definitely less harmful. My airways tell me so in no uncertain terms, as does my general health, which has improved hugely since I switched from smoking to vaping.

Would I be better off not vaping? Yes, no question. Inhaling nothing is guaranteed to be better than inhaling something, no matter how harmless that something might be.

Will it kill me? Who knows. I might still die of lung cancer or emphysema that was originally caused during my smoking days. Or I might die of lung cancer or emphysema caused by vaping. If either happens, there will be no way to know.

Final word: don't smoke or vape. Both are a bad idea, both from a health and from a financial perspective. If you must do one of them, I think vaping is the better option. Likely not as harmful, and definitely cheaper (at least in Australia).

I quit cigarettes using nicotine gum to help with the cravings. I was concerned about just switching my dependence from one nicotine source to another, but my family doctor pointed out that there are few negative effects from nicotine itself, especially in comparison to the hundreds of bad compounds in tobacco smoke. as it turned out, I needed the nicotine gum for less than a year, and by then I had completely lost the habit of smoking.

Back