lets have a new razor thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding about arka is that they only polish the edge and do t remove much of any steel. Sorta like the migaki-bo burnishing needle. I might be completely off the mark as well… They might be tempered very hard. How do they feel on other stones? Glassy?
I'm one of those weirdos that do ark progressions, so Washita first and couldn't get the bevel set and it didn't go well with a hard ark finisher either after a coticule progression. I have other Kamisori that do well with arks but not all of them. I'm not sure it has to do with the hardness, but maybe the alloys?
Anyone know anything about these razors? Maker or steel used?

I'm one of those weirdos that do ark progressions, so Washita first and couldn't get the bevel set and it didn't go well with a hard ark finisher either after a coticule progression. I have other Kamisori that do well with arks but not all of them. I'm not sure it has to do with the hardness, but maybe the alloys?
Anyone know anything about these razors? Maker or steel used?
Washita to hard ark is weird, yes, but if you can pull it off, it confers tons of street cred.

I've done post-finishing on a translucent Ark on a pretty fair number of kamisori edges that were ready to shave and just needed that final bit of Ark magic, and I've never run into anything resembling what you describe. I don't think I give my stones a fair shot at the cladding steel, since I am torqueing toward the hard steel edge.

Got this one home, looks nice but bit of small rust here and there, how would you restore it? Bit afraid to use too coarse sandpapers
IMG_3187.jpeg
IMG_3188.jpeg
IMG_3189.jpeg
IMG_3190.jpeg
IMG_3191.jpeg

Got this one home, looks nice but bit of small rust here and there, how would you restore it? Bit afraid to use too coarse sandpapers
View attachment 302353View attachment 302352View attachment 302351View attachment 302350View attachment 302349
Some stainless Henckels fidour, looks nice, got it off eBay for $90, hope this isn’t fake
View attachment 302673View attachment 302674
View attachment 302672
I'd start w/Naval Jelly appl;ied w/Qtips and rinsed oftern. Don't see anything here that justifies sandpaper. The NJ will 86 the rust, then buff w/crocus cloth.

Finally got around to sharpen the Iwasaki, rusts are removed with auto sol and some sandpaper, the grey spot are too deep so I just left it on. It’s hard to feel the steel the way straight razor is sharpened, unlike knives, but the end result is very nice, very smooth shave. The razor has been use quite a bit before I gotten it done the bevel is on the large side
IMG_3794.jpeg

Last edited:
Fuji branded teuchi marked razor on a Nakayama suita. Testing some tomo but I remain unconvinced of the need for nagura in general unless you’re dedicated to using just one natural stone in which case I think they make a lot of sense in a razor context.
IMG_9621.jpeg

Weird steel, doesn’t sharpen like many I’ve used. Abrades slow but feels nice. Doesn’t seem like it’s taking a hyper keen apex like some other good razors I’ve used, but the shave is super comfortable.

but I remain unconvinced of the need for nagura in general

Philistine!

Weird steel, doesn’t sharpen like many I’ve used. Abrades slow but feels nice. Doesn’t seem like it’s taking a hyper keen apex like some other good razors I’ve used

Probably should’ve used nagura, I reckon.

;)😘

Fuji branded teuchi marked razor on a Nakayama suita. Testing some tomo but I remain unconvinced of the need for nagura in general unless you’re dedicated to using just one natural stone in which case I think they make a lot of sense in a razor context.
View attachment 311759
Weird steel, doesn’t sharpen like many I’ve used. Abrades slow but feels nice. Doesn’t seem like it’s taking a hyper keen apex like some other good razors I’ve used, but the shave is super comfortable.
Maybe a long shot, but any chance the steel is at a very high hardness? I've had the experience you describe with such razors. Someone here finally gave me a hint to use very slow finishing strokes, and, to my surprise, that solved the problem I was having.

Also: what is that Naniwa thing in the picture? Did you put a sink bridge inside a sink bridge?

Also: what is that Naniwa thing in the picture? Did you put a sink bridge inside a sink bridge?

Stone holder put on a sink bridge, innit! Perfectly regular and normal* thing to do.

* Relatively speaking, within this hyper-niche community. Not a normal thing for normal people to do.

Couple notes…

@Rangen i do think the steel is hard, very hard. And if I had to guess relatively low carbon.

@cotedupy weve had this discussion before hahaha. I think the fact that I am utterly spoilt for choice with naturals colors my view on nagura. If I want something to act a little coarser and faster than my finisher, I’ll just grab a nice pre-finisher block.

It’s not so much that I can’t get the steel sharp or have trouble with it, it just doesn’t show aggressive keenness when I do nail tests or test on my finger pads. I never really feel a burr either other than the first time I set the bevel. But it passes hht and shave feel easily. Loaned it to @refcast who is better at talking about sharpening feel than me and encyclopedic in his steel knowledge so maybe he has content.

@Rangen @M1k3 I use the stone holder in the kaslfy for height, easier on my back to have the stone higher up

@Rangen

Yeah I sharpened the Fuji teuchi and it vexes me lol. Maybe I didn't apex it completely, haha. I didn't want to change the bevel on a NOS razor pretty much, so I didn't do anything major, just a finishing stone and nagura for extra aggression.

I agree feels lower carbon high hardness. It's such a weird steel...very smooth and ....civilized? Grabs hair just the right amount and has the least irritation of any razor steel I've sharpened. Almost feels like it never gets sharp haha...and I'm pretty sure I apexed it, but without forming a burr, microbevel. Yeah I tried almost everything aside from resetting the bevel. It does shave close

Back