Looking for 120mm Laser Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex M.S.

Reaction score
Currently I am using a 150mm SK steel Suisin which I love for its ease of sharpening and abuse it takes. However, at times a slightly shorter petty is needed and also I need one that I plan on keeping on the line during service.

KNIFE TYPE
Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Prefer Western, but not a deal breaker at all.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
120mm Only

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Mostly on the line during service, some vegetable prep, silver-skin removal, supremes and removing the belly bones on small fish.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None, it will pair opposite of my current 150mm petty.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
All gripe.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
All cutting motions

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Something very light and thin (Laser), preferably a hard carbon steel or a good stainless like ginsan or powdered steel, a 50/50 grind. This is to be opposite of my Suisin which is soft SK steel, 70/30 grind and 150mm.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Aesthetics don’t matter to me

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Just something light and nimble

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Preferably something that will take a keen edge and can finish on higher than a 5k stone.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
No preference

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Rubber and synthetic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Gesshin Ginga 120mm and the Takamura Migaki R2 130mm sound like they fit your criteria. Both are available in a western handle and under your $150 budget.

Last edited:
Gesshin Ginga 120mm and the Takamura Migaki R2 130mm sound like they fit your criteria. Both can be had in a western handle.

I handled the Ginga petty knives at Bernal recently.
I was surprised at how small the western handles were. Even the 150mm was tiny.

I prefer wa handles petty knives. The emoto (neck) distances the heel from the handle and allow one to use the entire length of the blade

I handled the Ginga petty knives at Bernal recently.
I was surprised at how small the western handles were. Even the 150mm was tiny.

I prefer wa handles petty knives. The emoto (neck) distances the heel from the handle and allow one to use the entire length of the blade

The handles on the Misono moly and swedish carbon are also small. The handles on the fujiwara Kanefusa FKM FKH are longer and just right for me. Interestingly the ux10 is quite a bit longer thank the other lines by Misono. BTW the knives just mentioned have the same spine thickness as the Ginga but with 70/30 grind.

Last edited:
If you’re willing to go with a wa handle, I’ve been totally impressed with my 120mm Tawa AS KU petty from Tower Knives. It’s light, laser thin, and sharp as hell. My friend bought it for me while he was in Japan. I “think” Coutelier Nola sells this line too, but only to 135mm.

Takamura r2 tho it is stainless
Teruyasu Fujiwara nashiki on white2

Latest posts

Back