Looking for first Sujihiki and Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan

Reaction score
Hello all!

Been reading a lot lately and these two styles are what I'd like to try next. Confirmed the sizes I (think) I like by holding some models in a store nearby but the selection was narrow so online shopping is probably how I'll go about this purchase. Anyways, I'm bored and on a 24hr post so without further ado....

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
Sujihiki
Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Sujihiki: 270mm
Nakiri: 180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Carbon Preferred

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Sujihiki: $220
Nakiri: $180

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home only

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Suji: Slicing cooked proteins
Nakiri: Chopping veggies

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Rather, complimenting my 240mm gyuto.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push/Pull, chop depending on what I'm cutting

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Curious how much better specialty knives perform their designated tasks.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I dislike damascus, but am open to all options otherwise, both reactive and not.
Handles are a non-issue, as I will likely make my own to replace the stock one on whatever I buy within my budget. That said, a great handle doesn't make a good knife any less appealing, if that makes sense.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Prefer octagonal handle, but again, non-issue and not a requirement. Eased/rounded spine & choil are nice, but also not required as I can do that myself too if it affords better geometry.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Don't care about OOTB edge, reactivity or ease of sharpening on either. Just want good clean quality cuts on their respective areas of expertise.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I'm a noob home cook a couple times a week so this is not so much of an issue for me. I am fine sharpening before every use or once a year. Don't care aslong as it won't go dull half way through a meal but I assume that's more to do with my sharpening technique that any decent knives out there.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
End grain cutting board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Always room for improvement. Constantly learning from old threads/videos on this forum.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
N/A

Thank you for your time in advance!!

Respectfully,
Dylan

For the Nakiri, a lot of people here recommend Watanabe, it's slightly out of your price range but maybe you can consider stretching it.
http://watanabeblade.com/english/pro/nakkiri.htm
His prices are going up by 15% on Mar 1st so if you want one, now is the time. I ordered mine a few weeks ago, he is very responsive when you email him via the website and I can't wait to get it in my hands. It seems like you can join the "waitlist" and pay at the current rate even if his website says out of stock.

Thank you for the reply, and funny you mention that one, as its the exact one I have been looking at lately. I sent out an email just now to get a feel for total expense, but might just wait to see if a used one pops up in the B/S/T section that needs a new home.

As for the suji, I think I'll be keeping an eye out for a Mazaki 270. I really like what i've been reading on them.

Budget kinda got trashed lol

+1 on the Watanabe Nakiri. Worth the slight increase in your budget!

What will you be sing the suji on?

+1 on the Watanabe Nakiri. Worth the slight increase in your budget!

What will you be sing the suji on?

Probably a 50/50 split between cooked and uncooked meats, with an occasional bit of use for sushi.

I bought a 165mm nakiri and a 300mm yanagiba, both from MAC. Combined price was 270 EUR and I have been highly impressed with both of them, but then again I'm a J-knife noob.

Probably a 50/50 split between cooked and uncooked meats, with an occasional bit of use for sushi.

Overall, I would still put your cash toward the Nakiri.
You can get the Ashi Ginga Suji from Craig at Carbon for reasonable.

But still - that Nakiri is top class and even for people who spend small fortunes on knives (like me), it's THE Nakiri.

+1 for Watanabe pro 180mm kurouchi. I'm a sucker for nakiris, and this one is among my favorites, but it is the only one that can be bought for slightly more than your budget.

Thank you all for the suggestions! After a ton of reading I ended up ordering the nakiri direct from Watanabe and ordered the Mazaki 270 suji from CleanCut! Stoked for them to show up, will post pics when they come in.
Thanks all for the suggestions!!!

-Dylan

Great work! That Maz was a excellent call as well. You’re going to be pleased.

Once you get your nakiri, I'd be keen to get your impressions, especially as far as food release is concerned!

Once you get your nakiri, I'd be keen to get your impressions, especially as far as food release is concerned!
I’ve got very little experience to reference, but I will report back with performance on a variety of different veggies!

Latest posts

Back