Magnetic retention for a saya pin?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Knife Knowledge' started by Bert2368, Jun 12, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2019 #1

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    Has anyone ever tried using a small strong magnet on end of saya pin & a small piece of magnetic steel built into the saya rather than a friction fit for holding saya pins in place?

Any reason NOT to try doing so, asside from tradition?

2. Jun 12, 2019 #2

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

3. Jun 12, 2019 #3

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

I considered this, but magnets attract and hold any magnetic "trash" in the environment- Possibly leading to scratches on the blade when moved in and out against such trash.. I DID build magnets into a home made "saya" for my brush knife, which doesn't care about blemishes on blade finish.

4. Jun 17, 2019 #4

Tristam Douglas

Tristam Douglas

Tristam Douglas

I accidentally magnetised an iron clad white #2 usuba. Blooming nightmare to sharpen as all the swarf sticks to it.

I am really sceptical of anything magnetic near any of my knives.

What would be cool is a saya that you can lock.... stop colleagues, kids or SOH using your baby. Something with a retina scan or some such:rolleyes:

5. Jun 17, 2019 #5

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

A magnetized knife would be a horror to sharpen- Do you have access to a magnetizer/demagnetizer?

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...LcCFNWax3odES57pT7XbSFE7lRlCIQckaAiGJEALw_wcB

My idea for designing this would not place the knife blade in contact with a magnet, in use, the blade would be a cm or so ahead of the small magnet- Magnet would be recessed into the wood slightly to prevent contact with blade during insertion and removal from saya.

As far as a locking saya? That's a GREAT idea. Not a keyed lock, but a "puzzle box" approach where you have to know a progression of moves to open the thing: see 9:40 into this video for a simple version of a puzzle box lock.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019