Masamoto KS at JCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's getting ridiculous. You're better off having a custom maker making a KS clone for you. My favorite will always be marko's A2 ones... Someday I'll be able to afford one.
The most annoying part is I goddamn know that at least half the batch did not even go to people on the hype train, but to asshats trying to sell them for double that on eBay.

@QCDawg did you check korins price on swed KS? I’m pretty sure with a 15% off sale theyre having/had the swed was $340-350 just a week ago.
Also, I paid $332-350 for like 3 diff KS’s this time last year.

I really don’t want one.. but I believe u. I’m serious .. I’m Ashi > Masamoto (white or stainless). But.. I’ve got the white KS.. so I sold my Ashi a year ago when I got notified (after 2 years) that I was going to get a KS

I’m just continually amazed at hype. It’s all good tho. KS white “shape” is what makes me keep it. The knock offs don’t do it for me..

and I’m more into San mai anyway.

I had a chance to buy one and passed after seeing the price. Its getting pretty ridiculous.

I really don’t want one.. but I believe u. I’m serious .. I’m Ashi > Masamoto (white or stainless). But.. I’ve got the white KS.. so I sold my Ashi a year ago when I got notified (after 2 years) that I was going to get a KS

I’m just continually amazed at hype. It’s all good tho. KS white “shape” is what makes me keep it. The knock offs don’t do it for me..

and I’m more into San mai anyway.
ask marko for a 250 in spicy white. and then let me borrow it please :)

I got mine in 2012 and they were around $340 even then. That was long before the scarcity hit and even the over hype.

Yes, I was quoting JDM catalog prices but after you pay ems $30, saya $40 extra so and its $250+70= $320 landed cost to US pretty easily.

Last edited:
I had one (White KS 240) and preferred literally every “clone” over it. Couldn’t really tell you why, though poor edge retention was certainly a factor - it just never clicked with me.

Would love to see a proper KS vs. Ginga vs. Custom clones shootout.

All the other knives should have to have overpriced ebony handles ;)

(to approximate ther poor "value" of tracking down a proper KS3124)

Definitely. Same thing goes for Marko's and Harner's gyutos!
As for Markos, at least KS pop up once in a while. I am on Marko’s custom list since early January 2013. I have since then seen several knives from him pop up here which were ordered after I ordered mine. I am done with waiting. Have found several unicorns since then, also 2 KS. Sold the first one, kept the second one...

I bought one here a few moons ago for $150. Put a Henry handle on it for another $165 Sold it for $275... total regret.

Does anyone remember about 5 years back, Mark was bringing in KU Shigs? I got a 180 nakiri with semi custom handle for $180. Sold that, too. smh

As for Markos, at least KS pop up once in a while. I am on Marko’s custom list since early January 2013. I have since then seen several knives from him pop up here which were ordered after I ordered mine. I am done with waiting. Have found several unicorns since then, also 2 KS. Sold the first one, kept the second one...
Markos communication skills are notoriously underwhelming.

I had one when from the initial resurgence. Paid $350 and honestly, I'm ok, with that price. I think the mid $200s to high $200s is more appropriate. But when you start pushing $400, $500 and above it's ridiculous. Part of the hype about it just being this extradionary versatile tool, is not hype to me. Even the horror stories I heard about the steel didn't resonate with me. It's white steel that didn't ave amazing edge retention, but it didn't seem as bad as what I had heard. I also love the monosteel aspect and mine was a great cutter. I thought mine would have a little more beef in the heel area, but the distal taper was still very nice. The food release was my biggest dissapointment about it. But I also heard people complain about some of the old ones not being the greatest cutters. I would not say that was the case with it. It was a very good cutter. I sold mine. Am I okay with it? Yeah, but I definitely wouldn't mind having it back. Is the hype worth people stressing out and paying exuberant prices, obviously not!!

I once got a custom by Tilman Leder with exactly the KS-profile. Hated it (the profile, Tilman Leder's work is outstanding). Sold it quickly for 380 euros (with custom saya by Tilman). Those prices now are ridiculous.

Mack.

the KS will always have a special place in my heart, freaking love that knife. yes edge retention was pathetic but it was also the easiest steel to sharpen, my touch ups lasted 30 seconds and full progressions in under 3minutes. the hype IS warranted in my opinion. for example i would much rather have a KS than a shig/kato.

I'm not a big fan of Kato gyutos, although i like the nakiri. The gyuto felt a bit unbalanced. That was my main reason to dislike it. As for Shigs, i would get more of them if the prices were more reasonable. For the current prices, i'm better off with custom stuff.

I'm not a pro, but i think i see what you mean. In a pro environment, i would choose something else too.

I can see people not resonating with shigs and katos, but they are phenomenal imo. My Kato standard has a heavy custom handle, so the balance is right at the heel allowing it to be nuetral. The knife is very well balanced Imo, but I could see someone not caring for a regular handle and the much more blade forward balanced. Although Mazakis are very blade forward and I'm not seeing a ton of complaints. I hear complaints about Shig grinds sometime, but my 180 ku nakiri is ground superbly. Very thin behind the edge, concave towards the spine, and finishing with nice convexing, also a subtle, gradual well done distal taper. It's a little thinner than my ex 165 ku nakiri. That one was more convexed and didn't have the concavity towards the spine, still wonderful grind Imo, great food release and cutter. But I do prefer the grind on my 180. The flipping is out of hand though and should be stood up to. It gives these knifes a bad rap, when you have to pay exuberant prices for them.

Shig steel is just about perfect, but hype and hassle complete turn offs. I feel like the KU nakiri and santoku are still viable working knives. Not too expensive to actually use, not as reactive, and replaceble should one have a mishap.

Last edited:
I once got a custom by Tilman Leder with exactly the KS-profile. Hated it (the profile, Tilman Leder's work is outstanding). Sold it quickly for 380 euros (with custom saya by Tilman). Those prices now are ridiculous.

Mack.
I would’ve bought that tilman off you in a heartbeat!

Sounds like a great blade. I've got a Marko KS clone with DT mystery carbon that i like a lot. Lots of possibilities after the 400 dollar threshold. Still would like to try a monosteel carbon KS, but not with current prices.

It's getting ridiculous. You're better off having a custom maker

... At this point in time with so many new talented knife makers I would say you are generally better off with a western maker for double bevel knives at this price point and above.

Latest posts

Back