Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apologies in advance if this info isn't helpful...

when i organize group buys on forums etc, what i do is have people fill out a google form (no google account needed).
i collect all the participants' contact and shipping info, product selection, etc. then at the end, i optionally direct them to paypal or whatever.

one thing that's nice about using a form is data validation. if they don't enter something that looks like a valid zip code for example or don't read the directions, errors in data entry can be automatically caught. with strong validation, you can mostly "idiot proof" the data collection process for people who don't read. :) optional feature: they can also update their info later via a link that gets emailed to them. say if their shipping address changes. there is also flow logic where the downstream form options change depending on options they pick earlier. say USA vs EU participants may get some different questions. easy to do that.

i have this form info automatically go into google sheets (their web-based version of excel). makes it easy to grab lists for sending emails, drawing raffles if demand exceeds supply, financial accounting, and so on.

for accounting, i manually import CSV from paypal usually. then i key the transactions to the form data via the email address column and do a pivot table for insights. even if there are multiple transactions for some users, it makes it easy to see that everyone's at zero-balance at the end of the event.

when it comes time to ship to participants, it's possible to export the shipping info and put that into your shipping service of choice. in my case, i buy discounted (commercial base rate) USPS shipping labels online and don't have to manually enter the addresses. i just buy and print them in a batch.

if the organizers are curious, i can share past example(s) for consideration in a future event. i think this kind of approach makes organization a lot easier.

Last edited:
Thanks @big_adventure Here it is again for folks just joining.

Alright ladies and germs,
It’s finally time to open the sign-ups.
Firstly, a massive thank you to @KAMON Knives for this massdrop. We’re incredibly excited to work with him.

HERE IS IMPORTANT INFO ON SHIPPING/PRICE DETAILS AND HOW TO SIGN UP FOR ORDERS:
please read this and then read it again

I’m serious, read it again!

Here is a recap of the knife specifications:

Knife: Kamon Kurouchi Denty Wa Gyuto

Size: 225mm x 56mm <or> 260mm x 58mm
Steel: 1.2519 monosteel construction taken to 65 HRC
Grind: Convexed to zero (with a thin beveled edge) and a strong distal taper – workhorse in the back, skeleton thin in the front

Handle: removable rokkaku hanmaru construction in bog oak with heirloom aluminum fixtures

PE Saya will be included

Pricing:

Size (mm)Price (Euros)
225 x 56595
260 x 58630

PLEASE NOTE – THESE ARE PRICES FROM KAMON AND DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING, VAT, OR CUSTOMS

THEY DO NOT INCLUDE VAT (where it applies) SHIPPING OR CUSTOMS!!!!!!!!!!

please please please calculate accordingly

Shipping:

Part of the advantage of these massdrop projects is streamlining things for the smith so they can focus on making the greatest knives they can. Partly for this reason, we will have a maximum of 3 invoices for each of 3 regions: The Americas, Europe, and APAC.

Approximate (READ: APPROXIMATE) duty and S&H fees will be: ~10 - 12% to EU distributor, ~11% to US distributor, and ~10% to APAC distributor. This does not include shipping from distributor to you. Specific shipping costs will be calculated when packages are ready for shipment.

Europe Distributor:
@RockyBasel

American Distributor: @nakiriknaifuwaifu

Asia/Pacific Distributor:
@lemeneid

Not sure about Brexit, we will dump that tea cross that bridge when we get there.

Payment:

As stated above there will be a total of three invoices – one for each of the distributors – because we need the customs paperwork to align with the invoice as they are shipped out.

For this reason, we need one person fulfill each of the invoices - Rocky has agreed to take on this role for us.

We will send an update with further payment instructions closer to the date of completion.

With that, I’d like to open the signups!

Here's how they will work:

Please message me (@nakiriknaifuwaifu) your information in this
~ E X A C T ~
format:

Title of message: "ORDER - Kamon Massdrop"

Region (NA/EU/APAC):
Size: "225mm" or "260mm" (there's no cap on sizes, these knives will be made for you)

INFO ON SELECTION: Participants will be randomly chosen (everyone is assigned a number and selected using random.org)

If you are selected, please treat this as ordering a custom knife (because that’s what this is!). We understand if there are circumstances forcing you to withdraw your order - it's still COVID time and that's what the waitlist is for - but for all other cases please try your best to adhere to the honor system.

We will confirm payment when the orders are close to done. Specific shipping costs will be calculated when payment time comes near.

Thanks,
NKW
:dancingcow:

~IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT~

SIGN-UPS WILL CLOSE FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 3RD 11:59 PM CET (Central European Standard Time - GMT +1)

Results will be made available shortly thereafter!

Please continue to follow this thread for further updates and cool videos!

My posts are the colorful ones - easy to find and easy to read!

Thank you all for your support so far!

Ok, some people are not following the very clear rules I set out for signing up and it is difficult for me to keep sending PMs asking for resends. Plus, resends clog my inbox.

I'm very particular about formatting because I need things to be uniform when I sift through 60+ PM's in my inbox and need to make sure I've gotten to everyone.

Here's how it should look in your inbox before you send the message (but obviously with your information).

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 12.05.45 PM.png

Titles are especially important. Yes I want the caps on the ORDER, yes I want the hyphen between ORDER and Kamon.

If you've already sent me something different before this message goes up, I will let you know if you need to resend. If you plan on sending me a PM, please please please follow the EXACT formatting instructions.

Help me help you not lose your place in the massdrop.

Thank you,
NKW

couldn't hurt to link to a few key posts in the OP

namely:
  • the "how to participate" post
  • the posts that describe what the knives are and what they'll look like
Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in finding the right page in the thread to sign up for it.
1630346018669.png

I've got some mails regarding my latest post here and I thought my answer to especially one mail could be quite interesting and I'll even expand on that a little because I didn't mention some stuff in the answer to the guy writing me the mail but he'll see ;).

So the mail was along the lines that one can now better see how my forging is efficient compared to stock removal.

I just need to explain that this is true under the specs I set out to have on my knives. For example it probably won't make much sense if my knives were only 3mm thick at the thickest part (nothing wrong with that).
I want that heavy taper though so I'd need use 6mm blanks in stock removal technique and grind the whole blank down and a lot of material and belts along the way. Just to visualize that for you - I'd have to use about 3 times the steel with the stock removal process compared to what I'm using now and about 2/3rds of that would end up beeing steel wool. Carbon steel is nothing that drives the costs higher by an significant amount but stock removal would come with a lot of time spent on the grinder and also using up lots of belts and those two parts are very cost inefficient.
The belts are expensive on their own but my time is even more expensive so forging at the end of the day saves me time and you as a customer therefore costs to get to what I'd like you to have.

Also I want to expand a little on the forging process itself so you may get a better picture of that. It's easy for me by now and I guess it looks easy in the videos as I hear that quite often but what's happening is rather complicated and needs some practice to do.
No need to actually do the following at home but just to imagine: The plastic properties can be simulated at home with some play dough to get a feel for the difficulties. Now everyone knows how easy that stuff is to move to a certain shape but what you've got to do to really get a feel of the difficulties of forging is to try to move that stuff to a certain shape using only blacksmith style tools.
The steel obviously is harder to move too even when red hot but that's not where your problems come from, but only a time issue. So that makes no difference to the parts that are hard to do at forging but just increases time. The thing that makes forging hard is that you can't hold the blank with your hands and also just move the material with some very rudimentary shaped tools like hammers and dies. So a lot of thinking is involved but once you've got the process and steps figured out its quite easy.
As a side note also bear in mind that the different forging steps can't be executed in a random progression. There is a totally different and irreversible outcome if you, for example, draw the heel at a different time in relation to drawing out the blade and so on. So that's very important too.

Hope that draws a clearer picture for you and as always. Any questions welcome.

Ben
Would the knife have the distinct hammer finish (the dimples) like I see in some of your knives? And do you have a reference pic of the saya? thank you

Ben
Would the knife have the distinct hammer finish (the dimples) like I see in some of your knives? And do you have a reference pic of the saya? thank you
Yes they will be denty finished.

The reference pic of the saya was shared earlier this thread. Check page 3. @sansho did a good job compiling every post please check that too

Alright ladies and germs,
It’s finally time to open the sign-ups.
Firstly, a massive thank you to @KAMON Knives for this massdrop. We’re incredibly excited to work with him.

HERE IS IMPORTANT INFO ON SHIPPING/PRICE DETAILS AND HOW TO SIGN UP FOR ORDERS:
please read this and then read it again

I’m serious, read it again!

Here is a recap of the knife specifications:

Knife: Kamon Kurouchi Denty Wa Gyuto

Size: 225mm x 56mm <or> 260mm x 58mm
Steel: 1.2519 monosteel construction taken to 65 HRC
Grind: Convexed to zero (with a thin beveled edge) and a strong distal taper – workhorse in the back, skeleton thin in the front

Handle: removable rokkaku hanmaru construction in bog oak with heirloom aluminum fixtures

PE Saya will be included

Pricing:

Size (mm)Price (Euros)
225 x 56595
260 x 58630

PLEASE NOTE – THESE ARE PRICES FROM KAMON AND DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING, VAT, OR CUSTOMS

THEY DO NOT INCLUDE VAT (where it applies) SHIPPING OR CUSTOMS!!!!!!!!!!

please please please calculate accordingly

Shipping:

Part of the advantage of these massdrop projects is streamlining things for the smith so they can focus on making the greatest knives they can. Partly for this reason, we will have a maximum of 3 invoices for each of 3 regions: The Americas, Europe, and APAC.

Approximate (READ: APPROXIMATE) duty and S&H fees will be: ~10 - 12% to EU distributor, ~11% to US distributor, and ~10% to APAC distributor. This does not include shipping from distributor to you. Specific shipping costs will be calculated when packages are ready for shipment.

Europe Distributor:
@RockyBasel

American Distributor: @nakiriknaifuwaifu

Asia/Pacific Distributor:
@lemeneid

Not sure about Brexit, we will dump that tea cross that bridge when we get there.

Payment:

As stated above there will be a total of three invoices – one for each of the distributors – because we need the customs paperwork to align with the invoice as they are shipped out.

For this reason, we need one person fulfill each of the invoices - Rocky has agreed to take on this role for us.

We will send an update with further payment instructions closer to the date of completion.

With that, I’d like to open the signups!

Here's how they will work:

Please message me (@nakiriknaifuwaifu) your information in this
~ E X A C T ~
format:

Title of message: "ORDER - Kamon Massdrop"

Region (NA/EU/APAC):
Size: "225mm" or "260mm" (there's no cap on sizes, these knives will be made for you)

INFO ON SELECTION: Participants will be randomly chosen (everyone is assigned a number and selected using random.org)

If you are selected, please treat this as ordering a custom knife (because that’s what this is!). We understand if there are circumstances forcing you to withdraw your order - it's still COVID time and that's what the waitlist is for - but for all other cases please try your best to adhere to the honor system.

We will confirm payment when the orders are close to done. Specific shipping costs will be calculated when payment time comes near.

Thanks,
NKW

~IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT~

SIGN-UPS WILL CLOSE FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 3RD 11:59 PM CET (Central European Standard Time - GMT +1)

Results will be made available shortly thereafter!

Please continue to follow this thread for further updates and cool videos!

My posts are the colorful ones - easy to find and easy to read!

Thank you all for your support so far!

~REMINDER~

SIGNUP INFO IS QUOTED ABOVE. Thanks to all who have messaged so far!

https://time.is/CET

wow, just from the way it comes out of the bottle, you can tell it's not the same ketchup anymore.
look at the grainy texture of the old stuff. you can see it in the sheen.

the stuff i'm used to is more smooth and syrupy looking.

i wish i could try a bottle of OG heinz to compare. speaking as a ketchup junkie.

Alright:
Here's Genkai OkiShibe to announce that we're closed for this round!

:dancingcow: ~ HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SENT ME A PM ~ :dancingcow:

After this time, you are all more than welcome to send me PMs, and you will be added to the end of the waitlist in the order that I receive your messages.

1630710494795.png

Next steps:

I will post a list tagging all of those who have signed up sometime soon. If I missed your PM, please respond to me
within 24 hours of my posting and I will get you on the list.

After the list is confirmed, I will use the power of the universe (random.org) to place everyone in order. (I don't like computer algorithm RNGs)

The first 35 people will receive a knife, and the waitlist order will be people 36th place and onwards (so 36th place = #1 waitlist, and so on)

Stay tuned!

@KAMON Knives
@RockyBasel
@alterwisser
@lemeneid

I mean, why sell thirtyFIVE knives when you can sell thirtySIX?!?

(I think that was his logic last time)

Reactions: ian
So the final list is due to after 1.19 am? Should I stay up that late, well knowing my daughter will wake me up at 6 am, insisting we get out of bed? Questions, questions... 😁

After 1.19pm? I‘m not convinced by these strict sounding timings. Last time I seem to remember trying to stay up until some ungodly hour, but gave up when NKW disappeared with that fruity pineapple for an indecent amount of time

And besides, ain’t you shooting your massdrop load a bit early anyhoo? Aren‘t they just going to post up the list of entrants first? Think you’ll have a day or so to grumble/pretend/comfirm that you’ve sent a message to NKW and that you’re in for the draw

I’d go to bed if I were you. You may be getting (understandably) excited

Last edited:
Back