Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Update" 😅:

It's been a thoroughly enjoyable process, the insights into the workflow have been great and really add to the connection to my blade. With the labour involved the cost seems reasonable.

It'll be sad to flip it on BST for 1 million dollars, but as noted I'll need a full custom with hammer marks in the shape of a Wang.

Now I just need to inlay a gold vein on the massdrop Kamon and it will look 10x more expensive. Joking of course lol.

Inlay is "easy" ;). No diss but the fact remains - many ppl have done and do gold inlays. I personally lack the skills to do gold inlays so I'm not trying to play, that art of its own, down.

However Forge welding gold in as a layer is the critical part. I don't want to get too serious about it here, and I recognize you're joking, but I have to say this: it has a reason that a gold go mai (or whatever gold layering forge weldet into steel) has never been done before. I'm not just talking kitchen knives here. I'm thinking of hunting knives and folders too which, in the Art knives scene, are decades in front of the kitchen knives scene. And still there, to my knowledge, this hasn't been done before.
It's very hard to do from a technical point of view and immensely risky from an business point of view as the investment is crazy high and you can loose that investment at any point of the making due to the technical difficulties that occur.

Just needed to put some perspective on that out there ✌️.

"Update" 😅:

I think Kamon has skewed my expectations on the level of information custom bladesmiths should share. Now whenever I look at a smith’s website or instagram I’m aghast that they don’t share detailed information about the heat treat, forging process, grinding process, handle making process, etc. I want to grill them on all these details before getting on their books, but don’t because I suspect they’d drop me for being a pain the behind. “No soup for you! Next!”

I think Kamon has skewed my expectations on the level of information custom bladesmiths should share. Now whenever I look at a smith’s website or instagram I’m aghast that they don’t share detailed information about the heat treat, forging process, grinding process, handle making process, etc. I want to grill them on all these details before getting on their books, but don’t because I suspect they’d drop me for being a pain the behind. “No soup for you! Next!”

I believe I simply was asked those questions way too often so I decided to share as much as possible upfront 😂.

My website needs to be updated though. As good as my work ethic is in my shop, as bad is it in the digital realms 🙈.

EU recipients - NEED ASAP

Please PM me your phone numbers - am shipping and for tracking service, they need a local phone number

Last edited:
The man can make a knife. Safely arrived at home in Australia this morning and will be getting some use in Christmas prep this week.

CB53BEA8-5E42-4223-BD30-C6EA1237824F.jpeg

3EB97AE5-52CF-4EB4-AD98-348B9B18A650.jpeg

Back