Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fact that it got faster to Singapore than Switzerland is strange. Shipping times has little to do with distance, I guess. Actually I once received a knife from Knifewear in 2 days, Canada to Denmark. By comparison shipping from Sweden, our dear neighbourg, has taken 10+ days before. Somehow packages from Sweden end up in this sorting facility where it's being "sorted" for days and days. I imagine a kinda Charlie and The Chocolate Factory-like place, the package going round and up and down on colorful conveyor belts. Probably just lying in a big pile while the staff are smoking cigarettes and watching youtube-videos though.

Sent off other knives to @Tristan and @Froztitanz.

The two 260mm knives we have here are same in dimensions. And only 4g apart in weight!

6B92423B-3E31-43BF-954A-15829FC99741.jpeg

Kamon's attention to detail with packaging is one of the things that really struck me when I got my (non-massdrop) one. Stuff like that matters a LOT both in terms the function it provides but also the perceptions of the customer. Really goes to show the level of care Ben has for what he produces.

Mines about 237g, is that on the high end or low end?

Damn. I always forget to weigh my knives 🙈😅. Should have something between 200-240g I'd say.

Ben's response above was his "guesstimate" for the weight range that included the knives in both sizes -- 225mm and 260mm.

Last edited:
First carrot done! I’m must say even though I don’t use knives over 250mm and still getting used to it, first impressions are good! The initial feeling I get is similar to what I had when I got my Denka. And its been a while since I had that.

63248973-0719-449D-A7F5-7D276B742550.jpeg

I'd like to request that the 225mm that gets forwarded to me after arriving in the US remain sealed in its outer box. That way I can experience the entire Kamon knife unpackaging just as if receiving it directly from Ben.

Each knife has been packed so carefully by Ben, I'm willing to forego any need for an inspection before it gets forwarded to me. If this request will cause any issues for @nakiriknaifuwaifu, please let me know.

Thanks -- and can hardly wait!!

Last edited:
Damn that saya is sweet - it’s the perfect knife package to receive. Fit finish is impeccable

Ben, thank you so much🙏🙏🙏🙏

the knives are incredible👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I will be shipping out this weekend so hope to somewhat beat the x-mas rush

some lucky people should start seeing their knives By the end of next week

Fact that it got faster to Singapore than Switzerland is strange. Shipping times has little to do with distance, I guess. Actually I once received a knife from Knifewear in 2 days, Canada to Denmark. By comparison shipping from Sweden, our dear neighbourg, has taken 10+ days before. Somehow packages from Sweden end up in this sorting facility where it's being "sorted" for days and days. I imagine a kinda Charlie and The Chocolate Factory-like place, the package going round and up and down on colorful conveyor belts. Probably just lying in a big pile while the staff are smoking cigarettes and watching youtube-videos though.

Funny side fact. I recently learned from my fedex agent, on the topic why my national (within Austria) Tarif is about double to what I pay for the same shipment to the US, that it's actually more difficult for them to ship within Austria, than to ship internationally. It's just how their network is built. I guess that explains how it can take longer to ship to Switzerland than to Singapore.

He gave me an even bigger % discount on my national shipments, than for all my international ones, but still it's more expensive so they don't even want to encourage that I have the feeling. I guess it's also because they can't compete with local services. Local services need 1 day... 2 sometimes, and are cheap so there's nothing to gain for them I think.

Damn, picture number 5 - it seriously looks like something out of Predator or something. Absolutely leathal.

Doesn't this also have a different more greyish finish? Is it just the 260 or even longer?
It is a slate grey/blue KU - it’s not KU in the traditional sense - it’s stunning in person

I am so looking forward to opening this present early. It would perhaps seem unfestive to spend Xmas morning lovingly unwrapping and brandishing a whopping lump of cold steel around the tree, as fetching as the blue-grey Ku sounds. A 260 is also probably overkill for casual present slashing duties and may be badly received.

But, by gum, those blades look smashing. Unlike some makers I have no earthly compulsion to request anything other than ’any of the big knives in that big Basel box,’ No secret channels will be need to be opened, pleading for one of the musketeers to chose one with a ‘good grind‘ or less shabby sabi than the other. These things look prime and I’d be stoked to receive any one of them.

Bring it on postie. Taxman step back

Back