Matzo Kugel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a family dish we started making when my daughter was 11 years old for Passover, Matzo Kugel.

Kugel’s are generally any dish that mixes a starch with eggs and gets baked; often they’re sweet, sometimes savory. Throughout the year, they’re usually made with noodles, although Michi’s version is also popular. This one is for Passover so it’s made with Matzo. Feel free to sub half cooked egg noodles for the matzo.

Here’s a part of an email chain that’s still going on, this snippet was from 2007, my daughter’s first thanksgiving away at college. The picture is from 2012 when my daughter was in Grad school in Capetown, I asked one of her friends to bring it to our seder.

Moll

Anna's going to Lena's thanksgiving dinner on tuesday and she wanted to make a dish.

I told her to make your matzo kugel

She said she couldn't steal your kugel recipe behind your back

I told her you wouldn't mind

She said check

So, what do you think?

I think we'll do this for ours anyway, but why shouldn't Lena get to have it too?

just in case it's ok with you, here's the recipe for Anna:

(ps to Lee & Emily--it's not just for passover-it would work well for thanksgiving, no?)

(pps to Emily--I think about you all the time--lots of love)

MOLLY'S APPLE-MATZOH KUGEL

(double the recipe, double the fun) (this is the recipe times 1.5)

5 large apples, Granny Smith or any tart apple, cored and cut into medium dice (could be some pears too)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
9 plain matzohs
12 eggs
1.5 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup (a stick and a half) butter , melted
1.5 cup golden raisins
1.5 cup dried apricots, medium, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, for casserole topping

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Toss the apples with the brown sugar and orange juice, set aside in a medium bowl.

3. Break the matzoh into 2- to 3-inch pieces and soak in 1 cup of warm water until soft but not mushy (2-3 minutes). Drain and Set aside.

4. While the matzoh soaks, beat the eggs with a wire whisk in a large bowl until blended. Add the salt, sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, raisins, and apricots.

5. Squeeze the liquid from the softened matzoh and add the matzoh to the egg mixture with the apples. Stir the kugel well and pour into a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or a 10x14-inch pan. Dot the top of the kugel with the 4 tablespoons of butter.

6. Bake the kugel for 1 hour. Cover the top with foil if the top begins to become too brown early in the baking. Remove the kugel from the oven and cool to room temperature.

The kugel can be made 2 days ahead, cooled, and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature and reheat in a 350°F oven.

BrookeKugel-1714 lores.jpg

Thanks for that, I enjoyed reading this :)

So, the main challenge here is to track down some matzo. I've come up fairly short-handed in my searches so far…

Where the recipe says "9 plain matzohs", what am I looking for? How big are these things, and how thick? Round or square? Any suggestions as to weight?

From what I can glean from the net, it looks like that matzo is a kind of Jewish version of Chapati? Could I make some myself?

And michi, as off topic as you can get in a thread, here’s an article I think you’ll love.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/13/baking-bread-in-lyon
Thank you so much for that link! I just read this, beginning to end, and I think it is an outstanding piece of writing. I was genuinely moved when I learned about Bob's fate.

and as to “it’s on your head...” did you not see the smile on that girls face? How bad can it be?
I did indeed see the smile on that girl's face. That smile is what made me decide to make your version of Kugel.

Michi,

traditionally kugel is made with noodles, so definitely can substitute.

I finally got around to trying this. I like it a lot. Not too sweet, and the bread dough with the dried fruit really works well. Sort of a slightly restrained version of dessert. I'm sure this won't the last time I made this. Thanks @rickbern!
IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

Last edited:
Back