Mazaki History--without reading 88 pages?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my patina on a Shiro Kamo ironclad damascus, but it seems the Mazaki damascus pattern is more subtle. Coupled with how reactive his cladding is, you're likely going to get much of that damascus "washed out" by the patina.

20230328_095823 (1).jpg

20230328_095825.jpg

I rather enjoyed how reactive the cladding was, but I'm a patina pervert. Mazaki Shirogami below:

20221214_205011 (1).jpg

20221215_084749.jpg

Here's my patina on a Shiro Kamo ironclad damascus, but it seems the Mazaki damascus pattern is more subtle. Coupled with how reactive his cladding is, you're likely going to get much of that damascus "washed out" by the patina.

View attachment 248351
View attachment 248352

I rather enjoyed how reactive the cladding was, but I'm a patina pervert. Mazaki Shirogami below:

View attachment 248355
View attachment 248353
That is a spectacular patina on the Maz! How did you get those colors?

That is a spectacular patina on the Maz! How did you get those colors?
Pork tenderloin and Polish pork sausage. Those seem to give the best colors in my experience. I usually do 2 or 3 rounds on a new knife to set the blue/purple patina then I go back to cutting onions and everything else as normal.

Pork tenderloin and Polish pork sausage. Those seem to give the best colors in my experience. I usually do 2 or 3 rounds on a new knife to set the blue/purple patina then I go back to cutting onions and everything else as normal.
Reviving this thread a year later 🤣

I've been experimenting lately with different meats and patinas, and I found this to be interesting. Many folks swear by beef, but I think it makes sense that pork would work well, since it has more fats.

When you say you do 2 or 3 rounds, what exactly does a "round" consist of for you, and how long do you wait in between rounds?

Do you generally let the juices sit on the blade after you slice, or do you wash them off immediately?

And final question haha, how do you feel about running the knife under hot water before and/or after slicing? I've heard some folks swear by that method.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but any knowledge or experience you may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

I've been experimenting lately with different meats and patinas, and I found this to be interesting. Many folks swear by beef, but I think it makes sense that pork would work well, since it has more fats.

When you say you do 2 or 3 rounds, what exactly does a "round" consist of for you, and how long do you wait in between rounds?

Do you generally let the juices sit on the blade after you slice, or do you wash them off immediately?

And final question haha, how do you feel about running the knife under hot water before and/or after slicing? I've heard some folks swear by that method.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but any knowledge or experience you may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
A "round" is slicing hot protein, letting the knife either sit on board while dirty or actually leave it in the meat for ~10 minutes, then wash off with the hottest water you can manage. I've even experimented with boiling water from my kettle, slowly poured down blade but not sure it's any better than tap hot.

You'll see immediate results. But polish of blade makes a huge difference too.

Sometimes I "cheat"
20240304_184512.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks so much!

If you want pretty blue-petrol patina then cooked meat is what to go for. Specifically; pork, or even better chicken. It'll work better when hot, but does work cold too.

A "round" is slicing hot protein, letting the knife either sit on board while dirty or actually leave it in the meat for ~10 minutes, then wash off with the hottest water you can manage. I've even experimented with boiling water from my kettle, slowly poured down blade but not sure it's any better than tap hot.

You'll see immediate results. But polish of blade makes a huge difference too.

Sometimes I "cheat" View attachment 322640
Amazing, thank you for this thoughtful reply!

I'd like to ask, after you finish one round, do you go immediately back into the same piece of (now lukewarm) meat for round 2 and 3? Or do you wait until the next time you cook meat to do subsequent rounds?

Also, do you have any thoughts on using a cut of meat vs. using sausages? Any difference in outcome between the two?

Thanks a ton!

Amazing, thank you for this thoughtful reply!

I'd like to ask, after you finish one round, do you go immediately back into the same piece of (now lukewarm) meat for round 2 and 3? Or do you wait until the next time you cook meat to do subsequent rounds?
I usually just do it again the next day whenever I reheat the leftovers.

This Okubo is from that pork rib roast pic the next morning. It was freshly refinished (polished but rougher) so the cladding was fresh and ultra-reactive. Before, with the coarse grind marks it would barely take a patina. It will grey out some and settle down, the colors are most vibrant immediately after. I'll snap a pic tomorrow morning to show you how it's aged, it's still pretty fun though.

20240308_081405 (1).jpg

20240308_081415.jpg

Also, do you have any thoughts on using a cut of meat vs. using sausages? Any difference in outcome between the two?
Sorry I skimmed right past this part.

Pork sausages are cheaper, and easier to drop the knife right in to, like the felt edge guards but meat lol. With sausage I will occasionally have a sacrificial one that gets used, maybe microwaved to make warm again and hit a different part of the blade, then the dog gets it.

As far as patina quality though I think it's far more dependent on your individual knife's cladding than the form of the protein.

I find the most consistent and colorful patina with very little brown is from carving a turkey. I know turkey is something people only eat once or twice a year, but polish a knife and give it a go it’s a beautiful thing

Just giving your knife a good natural stone polish makes it hard not to get a good patina in my experience.

The other day I ended up with the most cool looking rainbow thing just from aubergines.

This one actually didn't settle much and I've been using it quite a bit, but the Maz has mellowed out a lot. Looks kinda grey until the light hits it just right. Pics taken a few hours apart so lighting is slightly different but you get the gist.

20240521_083501 (1).jpg

20240521_110310 (1).jpg

Back