Mizuno with or without shinogi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm considering getting a Mizuno Tanrenjo gyuto. Either blue #1 or #2. The question I now have is whether to ask for one with or without a shinogi.

Any opinions? From what I understand a wide bevel may help in better food release? But how easy is it to sharpen compared to a knife without shinogi?

Thanks!

Also, I’ve never tried a (flat) wide bevel with good food release and nice separation. Some are terrible, some are ok. Those that have some convexity are better ime

Love me a shinogi

But you can have a shinogi without the blade being a proper wide bevel. My Comet Honyaki's have subtle shinogi's, but are def not WB's

I had a KS version of something like this. It came really fat bte, so I thinned it extensively, I couldn't detect an actual shinogi line while working on it. Still a great knife. Was really happy with it after thinning.

The Mizuno gyutos I have are faux shinogi (one I have given a Kasumi finish instead) and the others are honyaki. Their single bevels have a true shinogi.

Maybe there is another line of Mizuno Gyuto that has a true wide bevel.

The Mizuno gyutos I have are faux shinogi (one I have given a Kasumi finish instead) and the others are honyaki. Their single bevels have a true shinogi.

Maybe there is another line of Mizuno Gyuto that has a true wide bevel.
This is a pic from Mizuno's current batch I guess as this review is only a week old.

Knipselmizuno.JPG

This is a pic from Mizuno's current batch I guess as this review is only a week old.

View attachment 100837

You can't really tell from that pic whether the shinogi is real. I mean, this was mine. Maybe the one in the pic you linked looks crisper, but that might be just because I did a worse job recreating the fake shinogi line on mine.

Okay, so most are recommending to go without a shinogi. Going to wait for panda, see what he is suggesting. Really curious about this knife! By the way, got a mail newsletter from JCK today where he states that the Mizuno suji is JCKs ‘most popular’ (bestselling?) knife?! Did not expect that.

panda supports no shinogi, unequivocally. Don’t need to wait for him to say that. He’s already said it 10 times. :)
Yes, I saw that as well.. just waiting as a matter of courtesy I guess. :)

Got this reply from Koki when I asked him about it but the respons is from a few years back so might have changed...

If we compare, the Mizuno Wa Gyuto with Shinogi has thinner blade profile than another one and MizunoTanrenjo explained the Wa Gyuto with Sinogi has more Japanese Taste and traditional way of finishing (Hon Kasumi finished)

Among our customers, the Mizuno Wa Gyuto without Shinogi (regular finished) are more popular. But there are people who prefer the Hon Kasumi finished Wa Gyuto, they often selects Mizuno Wa Gyuto with Shinogi.”

@erbw02 Nice, thanks! So, which one did you get? And this means the one without shinogi has a thicker blade profile?

Mine is with Shinogi.

Great knife. Convex wide bevels, which respond well to a kind of barstardised 2 sided hamiguriba sharpening. A wide bevel finish of circa 3k seems to maximise food release IME.

Nicely balanced thiness vs food release. Pretty nice to sharpen with decent edge retention for blue 2.

Mine is with Shinogi.

Great knife. Convex wide bevels, which respond well to a kind of barstardised 2 sided hamiguriba sharpening. A wide bevel finish of circa 3k seems to maximise food release IME.

Nicely balanced thiness vs food release. Pretty nice to sharpen with decent edge retention for blue 2.
Nice, everyone seem to have a Mizuno :) I remember our convo about the Hinoura you got from KnS. How would you compare the two? Can’t get the Hinoura fwiw as it’s a 240 and I want a shorter gyuto now. But just curious anyway.

But on the contrary, the great Lord @panda of the bamboo clan likes the regular Miz profile quite a lot. He does not appreciate the Miz KS profile, but still uses and loves Miz KS because it is 255 mm instead of 230 or whatever, which he deems a b*llsh*t length. All bow to the Lord 🐼, we remember his every commandment.

Back