Moving (with) knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I had asked this before but I can’t find anything (story of my life haha)....

We are moving to a new country (again) soon. Last time I oiled the knives, then wrapped them in clear film, then kitchen paper and/or newspaper.

The movers now said it’s not allowed, they need to SEE what they pack (and I’m not allowed to pack myself for insurance reasons).

i was thinking about copying Benjamin Kamon (ONLY the shipping part.... obviously lol) and vacuum seal the knives in clear film and oil them before.

the movers would then wrap them in bubble wrap.

They might stay in storage for a couple of months as we move into temporary housing first.

Any thoughts on this? Any concerns or all agreeing that this is the way to go

Don't know if applicable to you, but I always keep knives and firearms (and other high value / easy pilferable items) in my physical possession when moving. Too high a value, too easy to "lose", too easy to resell, to leave them to movers. And insurance would likely not cover their loss.

When I moved last fall, I kept guns, knives, and other valuables with me.

If that’s not an option would the movers be willing to let you “help” pack them? You pack in their presence so they know what’s going in?

Option 3, video them packing valuables -creates pretty solid record if you have problems down the road.

Taking 70+ knives with me is not really an option. To be honest: even packing two suitcases with them (we have to fly), if one gets lost then, there’s literally no insurance that helps me.

the movers insurance has been great in the past, no questions asked (it’s not our first rodeo). We had multiple cross Atlantic moves, and Anything that was damaged or disappeared (one Apple mouse and a cheap pocket knife) was paid for. I always have to fill out an insurance list with replacement value on the destination country. And I mean, replacement value for a Billipp I put at $2000, because that’s what it probably cost me to source another one ....

So I’m not worried about that part. It’s more about properly packing them ...

I will have this same dilemma next year when I move back to Europe. Knives (not guns which I can't take) and its weighing on my mind somewhat.

I know some knifemakers fly with cases of knives with a starter pistol in it. They have to be checked in at a special location because it’s a firearm and inspected and what not. They don’t want to loose something like that. Lol. Might be an option for the most expensive ones.

Damn ... I thought I moved around ... FWIW best of luck alt!

I like the idea of oil, edge guard, vac seal and then package in a dedicated a pelican case (or 2 or 3) - easy to open/check/lock that the movers "pack" with the vac sealed blades. Ultimately if the movers are nefarious not much you could ever do but with clear documentation, vid/photo that would go a long way to helping your cause. Dedicated shipping (courier) might also be the way if that is covered/expensed.

Are you making one move or will be doing multiples. With multiples (I was in France/Germany but based in San Diego) I just took things slowly over a period of time that I could carry in smaller quantities (like knives).

Oh BTW - I can help you with any/all Dalman AEB-L's you don't want to carry all that way ... see - me being helpful!

Seriously let us know what you come up with ... there are a few of us (me next year) likely in the same position ...

I will second the fly with a declared firearm advice. Doesn't have to be anything but a junk pistol from the pawn shop. I have also noticed that not only does the bag containing the firearm get special care but all the luggage you take with you will get special care.

I know some knifemakers fly with cases of knives with a starter pistol in it. They have to be checked in at a special location because it’s a firearm and inspected and what not. They don’t want to loose something like that. Lol. Might be an option for the most expensive ones.

not in Europe it isn’t 😜

Damn ... I thought I moved around ... FWIW best of luck alt!

I like the idea of oil, edge guard, vac seal and then package in a dedicated a pelican case (or 2 or 3) - easy to open/check/lock that the movers "pack" with the vac sealed blades. Ultimately if the movers are nefarious not much you could ever do but with clear documentation, vid/photo that would go a long way to helping your cause. Dedicated shipping (courier) might also be the way if that is covered/expensed.

Are you making one move or will be doing multiples. With multiples (I was in France/Germany but based in San Diego) I just took things slowly over a period of time that I could carry in smaller quantities (like knives).
Just one move ....

Oh BTW - I can help you with any/all Dalman AEB-L's you don't want to carry all that way ... see - me being helpful!

Seriously let us know what you come up with ... there are a few of us (me next year) likely in the same position ...

haha, the Dalmans are here to stay!!!!!

last time worked quite well actually, it’s just not an option this time ...

If your moving company is inadequate, you can also consider shipping your knives and other valuables separately with company that specialize in shipping valuable items.
Something like this: About Us | Crown Fine Art

Last edited:
Back