My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and blues just keep getting darker...

978ad5a12898bbc857c438183a61d54a.jpg

Especially when your white balance is helping to turn everything blue :justkidding:
NOPE, no filter, I don't use them at all :dontknow:
That's just the low light at 4pm here in Calgary.

actually looks crazy blue in person, more vivid than my cellphone pics can capture, Jeremy has one of these and he can tell you how crazy colourful this wrought iron cladding gets.

actually looks crazy blue in person, more vivid than my cellphone pics can capture, Jeremy has one of these and he can tell you how crazy colourful this wrought iron cladding gets.

Lol. I'm sure. I was just kidding about the fact the white balance is a little cold. I'm on a calibrated monitor and the white of the tenugui looks like it has been dyed blue.

Lol. I'm sure. I was just kidding about the fact the white balance is a little cold. I'm on a calibrated monitor and the white of the tenugui looks like it has been dyed blue.

Hmmm, could be, the low natural light might have triggered some adjustment from the phone. The tenugi is full of blue dots too so that doesn't help. Point is it actually looks crazy this wrought iron cladding, even veggies turn it blue. That's only three meals patina.

Hey Valgard, do you by any chance know what the Watanabe cloth/textile thing (the one in your image above) says?

Hey Valgard, do you by any chance know what the Watanabe cloth/textile thing (the one in your image above) says?

By memory I think it says 'Watanabe blade' and 'Shinichi Saku (made by)'. I may be wrong. I'm not at home.

Hmmm, could be, the low natural light might have triggered some adjustment from the phone. The tenugi is full of blue dots too so that doesn't help. Point is it actually looks crazy this wrought iron cladding, even veggies turn it blue. That's only three meals patina.

No problems. I was just having a little fun. Sorry if it caused you any concern or confusion.

Not 100% sure but I think something along the lines of what triple said.

I know it says Watanabe blade and something else.

If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll put one up when I get home later.

Ok. Just got home. My memory was right. That's what it says. If you look at the side of your knife and the Tenugui you'll see the same 'Shinichi Saku'.

So I just recently fell down the rabbit hole into this disturbing world of people overly preoccupied with cutting tools. After several hundred hours of reading, which has increased my understanding by somewhat close to zero, I remain with one significant question to which I can't find any answer.

Are there any foods that you just don't go near with one of these things? And how about beets? Even a google search doesn't show anything when searching 'carbon knives and beets.' Yet, it is the one food I fear working with the most. Always makes me want to go all Dexter plasticwrap kill room before I start taking off the skin. Heck, once or twice I forgot I ate them, went to the bathroom, looked down, and almost took myself to the hospital. The beet is a forgetable but formidable foe. One that despite its drawbacks, I eat a lot of.

So what happens to carbon when it meets a beet? I have my first carbon on its way and feel I will be, knife in hand, staring down at the first beet like a high-noon scene in an old-western.

Last edited:
Absolutely no problem with beets. With virgin steel there is a small chance that certain produce will pick up a slight odour or taste but this will cease when the blade patinas. Some people initially force patinas as a precautionary measure before using the knife and many consider the issue much ado about nothing. Either way you’re fine.

Golden beets give a nice coppery gold patina to a few of my knives. Cut away!

Hello chaps. I'm very new to Carbon Knife thing, I have a stainless clad Kochi that'll be on its way in a week or 2. Is forcing the Patina something I want to do? Or should I just use the knife as normal and let it patina on its own?

The stainless cladding won’t patina at all, only the carbon core. Because it’s such a small area I would just let it patina naturallly.

Aren't the SS clad Kochi with a KU finish any way?

Just make fruit salad with it and you're set patina wise

Yes, You're right there is a KU finish on the knife. This might seem like a dumb question, but is the KU finish made from the carbon or the SS? Is the edge of the blade the only part of exposed carbon?

Posted im another thread, but I FINALLY figured out pictures so I'll post 'em here too
ZoqOoTd.jpg

q0a5cVU.jpg

Back