My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First blues on the toyama the other day:
1587515063685.jpeg

And the petty too!
1587515589609.jpeg

Mostly fruit and veggies, if only I cut a bit more meat...

My first cuts on the Tsubaya blue 1 Gyuto I just bought. Only did 5 cloves of garlic and 2 onions (part of a roasted veggie medley but these were the only reactive things I cut) Can’t wait to see what else I can get on it with more use. Sorry for the poor lighting but I was too happy with what I was able to get not to share.
81A90240-F2B7-4471-8228-BCECD5DF21F4.jpeg
FB148FC7-C9E3-4EFB-8175-52BCAA3A0E9C.jpeg

It’s the stock magnolia handle with a black cherry stain. When I purchased the knife (used) the handle had never been sealed and even after sanding was discolored and ugly

@TSF415 It's hand sanded to around 1200, although I got a little impatient on the last couple grits, then hand finished with uchimugori stone mud on a hard cotton buffing wheel pad thing taken from a dremel. It was super shiny before the stone mud ... the mud made it a little more matte, and obscured the few remaining scratches a bit. Definitely better with the mud.

I'll have to get my KS outside for a photo shoot soon. Quick shot of my old line knife - masamoto HC while touching it up tonight

View attachment 79973View attachment 79974

you a big Sohoten guy? I’ve never tried their western knives. How are they? Is that one the Virgin Carbon Steel? How’s it compare to the KS (my current go to knife is a KS)

I love every knife of theirs I've owned. The carbon steel is nice, KS white steel even nicer.

I started with their vg series, still have that one it's been ground way down I use it for butchering duck

No, I haven't heard of such a thing! Do tell
It’s the cousins company to Masamoto Sohoten. In 1845 Masamoto was founded by two brothers, and about 20 years later one brother split to start Masamoto-Sohoten and the original has the name Masamoto-Tsukiji. Their main two symbols are the same. I have their wa-Santoku and I love it, but I had to adjust the edge cuz I’m left handed. If I could get a lefty 210 wa-Gyuto of theirs I’d prob kill for it lol. but I think I have to go to their little shop in Japan
https://mtckitchen.com/japanese-knives/brand/tsukiji-masamoto/
Mtc is the only site who sells them, but look them up on YouTube to see their store.

It’s the cousins company to Masamoto Sohoten. In 1845 Masamoto was founded by two brothers, and about 20 years later one brother split to start Masamoto-Sohoten and the original has the name Masamoto-Tsukiji. Their main two symbols are the same. I have their wa-Santoku and I love it, but I had to adjust the edge cuz I’m left handed. If I could get a lefty 210 wa-Gyuto of theirs I’d prob kill for it lol. but I think I have to go to their little shop in Japan
https://mtckitchen.com/japanese-knives/brand/tsukiji-masamoto/
Mtc is the only site who sells them, but look them up on YouTube to see their store.
I was at Tsukiji Masamoto 3-4x and Masamoto Sohonten 1x while i was in Japan in 2018, before the fish market closed. My understanding was that the 2 Masamotos were no longer related companies and they had little to nothing in common other the name. Tsukiji Masamoto was sold on the streets (in their famous fish market) , while Masamoto Sohonten had a beautiful brick and mortar store about a 20 minute train ride away

I was at Tsukiji Masamoto 3-4x and Masamoto Sohonten 1x while i was in Japan in 2018, before the fish market closed. My understanding was that the 2 Masamotos were no longer related companies and they had little to nothing in common other the name. Tsukiji Masamoto was sold on the streets (in their famous fish market) , while Masamoto Sohonten had a beautiful brick and mortar store about a 20 minute train ride away

oh sorry I thought that was implied that they were completely separate due to the fact they split in the 1860s. Ya they are separate companies of course. Sorry.

oh sorry I thought that was implied that they were completely separate due to the fact they split in the 1860s. Ya they are separate companies of course. Sorry.
Japan is heaven for any kitchen knife lover. What a great trip it was. Cousin bought a Tsukiji Masamoto VG-10 210 Gyuto, i bought a Masamoto SW 240mm, and an Aritsugo Blue 150mm Petty. all while eating fresh scallops, and wagyu beef, drinking beer and sake!

Latest posts

Back