My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fist meal prep for the knife involved a crown pork roast:

PXL_20220702_233748395.jpg
PXL_20220702_233820041.jpg

Interesting rule of thumb I learned recently, with ni-mai constructed knives, the cladding always matches the edge steel. Carbon hard steel, carbon cladding. Stainless hard steel, stainless cladding. (info came from a well established retailer when I inquired about cladding on a yanagi, since the listing didn't tell what the cladding was).

and a carbon wok after at least a year of 3-4 days a week

This jumped out at me…

Have you considered heat bluing that wok on the stove? You can unscrew the little plastic rectangle off the secondary handle so it doesn’t overheat. Then blast it on high heat, turning and rotating, until dark blue all over. After it cools a little, season with paper towel and oil. It’s something you can’t do to a knife but can do to a wok.

I realized it was time to do that when I was getting yellow/brown rust water off the wok every time I washed it. It had been scrubbed too hard and lost its season.

This jumped out at me…

Have you considered heat bluing that wok on the stove? You can unscrew the little plastic rectangle off the secondary handle so it doesn’t overheat. Then blast it on high heat, turning and rotating, until dark blue all over. After it cools a little, season with paper towel and oil. It’s something you can’t do to a knife but can do to a wok.

I realized it was time to do that when I was getting yellow/brown rust water off the wok every time I washed it. It had been scrubbed too hard and lost its season.

I haven’t gone to that extreme seasoning it. I clean it about once a month. And then put it on medium heat to make sure it is completely dry, then warm up some oil and rub it all around the wok. Even the outside.

That is basically how I protect my carbon knives. Except I rotisserie them over my burner to evaporate any water and let the oil flow easier on them.

You have piqued my interest 🧐

It also sounds like you are basting them as well. Please share a video or pics of this knife rotisserie.
Sorry it’s not the best video. I basically just wash with soap and water, dry really well, then put over my stove burner for a bit to make sure all the water is evaporated, then coat the whole blade and tang with coconut oil.

It's spine to edge convex grind, no kurouchi.
Oh, sweet. The light reflecting on the middle of the knife near the heel in the pic made me think it was an S-grind. I thought dang, he’s making S-grinds now?

Just when I’d thought I had gone everywhere, and collected everything I could ever want in the knife world. A markin monster lands in the lap, naturally it got put to work with 4 lbs of garden peppers for pickled peppers. The taper of a mazaki, the weight of my oversized catcheside, gorgeous steel banding and cutting performance that is frankly staggering.

The picture doesn’t do it justice, but the 52100 equivalent steel seems to patina much, much faster than any of my 52100 blades. Not quite pure iron fast, but similar patina formation to my prendergast wrought iron. The swirls of blue and orange play beautifully with the extreme banding in the steel and the resulting patina has heaps of movement. Reminds me of looking at old nebula pictures from the Hubble back in the days of yore.

Attachments

• 0F743CA0-DDD3-465D-817A-54B1EFD2AA7E.jpeg
    0F743CA0-DDD3-465D-817A-54B1EFD2AA7E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just when I’d thought I had gone everywhere, and collected everything I could ever want in the knife world. A markin monster lands in the lap, naturally it got put to work with 4 lbs of garden peppers for pickled peppers. The taper of a mazaki, the weight of my oversized catcheside, gorgeous steel banding and cutting performance that is frankly staggering.

The picture doesn’t do it justice, but the 52100 equivalent steel seems to patina much, much faster than any of my 52100 blades. Not quite pure iron fast, but similar patina formation to my prendergast wrought iron. The swirls of blue and orange play beautifully with the extreme banding in the steel and the resulting patina has heaps of movement. Reminds me of looking at old nebula pictures from the Hubble back in the days of yore.
Is that a 240? I'm curious to try one of his WH gyutos...

225! I haven’t measured it but I’m guessing it’s around 7-8 mm above the heel, it fills the hole left empty by not getting into the game fast enough to acquire a kurouchi watanabe

Man I need one of those...

I would post a Wat KU WTB post if I were you - I got offered one or two when I posted my WTB for WH gyutos.

Back