My first Japanese knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panda_23

Reaction score
My yoshikane nashiji skd gyuto 210mm arrived recently. I didn't think chopping onion would be this fun. Before, I used the Mercer 8 in daily, so I am more used to the rocking motion. Flatter profile of Yoshikane is not really made for rocking. I been told before that rocking motion is not good for the knife anyway, so I will use this chance to better my knife skills. I don't think my wallet will appreciate this new hobby, but I think this hobby is here to stay.

IMG_4866 Small.png

Yes, an excellent knife and props on your discernment! If I may offer a bit of unsolicited advice, be careful when cleaning your new knife in the sink after use, as one could inadvertently touch the tip on the sink's wall, which will often break the tip off the blade. Can easily happen as you pass the knife back and forth beneath the faucet while focusing on the contact point of the water's stream.

Yes, an excellent knife and props on your discernment! If I may offer a bit of unsolicited advice, be careful when cleaning your new knife in the sink after use, as one could inadvertently touch the tip on the sink's wall, which will often break the tip off the blade. Can easily happen as you pass the knife back and forth beneath the faucet while focusing on the contact point of the water's stream.
Thanks for the advice. I can see myself doing that.

The initial flood of inventory helps you sort out what you do and don’t like. Go nuts guys, you can always sell em if you don’t mesh.

I too, have tipped something in the sink. It’s a terrible feeling.

Great first knife. You gotta eat, so you gotta cook at least sometimes. You can never unsee the greatness of good knives.

Back