My Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auskid

Reaction score
Some of my gyutos: Kurosaki AS, Kurosaki SG2, Ks3124, Tanaka Damascus Blue 2, Takeda NAS 210 and Kawamura white 1. It has been a while since I purchased any new gyutos. Thinking of Mazaki lately but it is quite a heavy blade, any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220206_112623.jpg
    20220206_112623.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 184
  • 20220206_110236.jpg
    20220206_110236.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220206_110230.jpg
    20220206_110230.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I have owned a couple and loved them, great perfo and really comfortable. I have a high humidity are though and the iron cladding rusts faster than anything else I have seen. I he made readily available stainless clad knives I would own a bunch

I have owned a couple and loved them, great perfo and really comfortable. I have a high humidity are though and the iron cladding rusts faster than anything else I have seen. I he made readily available stainless clad knives I would own a bunch
Thanks for your reply. For Mazaki do you have any preference? I know Mazaki has white 2, blue 2 and AS version.

Anecdotally, there seems to be a fair bit of variability between batches of Mazaki in terms of grind, profile and blade finish. I am not sure if this also applies to heat treatment.

Anecdotally, there seems to be a fair bit of variability between batches of Mazaki in terms of grind, profile and blade finish. I am not sure if this also applies to heat treatment.
Yes, the knife shop I know told me they will have a new batch of mazakis coming next week and it has white 2, blue 2 and AS for Hon Sanmai and white 2 and blue 2 for normal version. I

Some of my gyutos: Kurosaki AS, Kurosaki SG2, Ks3124, Tanaka Damascus Blue 2, Takeda NAS 210 and Kawamura white 1. It has been a while since I purchased any new gyutos. Thinking of Mazaki lately but it is quite a heavy blade, any thoughts?
Anything but the vanilla white #2 is out of my price range.. but I do like it. I’m not sure if they’re the pointy triangle ones, which is the only version I can speak about. It’s mid-heavy, but well balanced at the pinch grip due to strong distal taper and thick tang, and feels plenty nimble enough for tip work, but solid enough for heavy board contact. Feels shorter (in a good way) than it is. It’s my daily driver, versatile, durable and fun to modify/polish.

Convex grind is nice, maybe not as nice as the y. Tanaka you have, but much thicker bte and ground conservatively, leaving a good amount of metal for whatever you want it to end up as.

Profile is dead flat until near the tip - swept up aggressively. Kind of weird, but very nice for eliminating accordion cuts. Just don’t mind the dead stop when you hit the board. I have the migaki version, strongly regret not waiting for the KU - probably my favourite feeling/looking KU.

Strongly recommend, something different feeling than what you have at home :)

I have a couple of Mazakis and love them. I've had them for a couple of years, and they are on the heavy side. The specs I have seen on recent versions are lighter. I think they are broadly similar to your S. Tanaka, even if the steel is different. In your shoes, I would consider a wide bevel. You have a wonderful range of styles, but I don't see a wide bevel, like Y Tanaka/Kyuzo or Kagekiyo

I have a couple of Mazakis and love them. I've had them for a couple of years, and they are on the heavy side. The specs I have seen on recent versions are lighter. I think they are broadly similar to your S. Tanaka, even if the steel is different. In your shoes, I would consider a wide bevel. You have a wonderful range of styles, but I don't see a wide bevel, like Y Tanaka/Kyuzo or Kagekiyo
Thanks for your input, good idea! I am actually thinking of getting a wide bevel knife from Y Tanaka as well.

Last edited:
Anything but the vanilla white #2 is out of my price range.. but I do like it. I’m not sure if they’re the pointy triangle ones, which is the only version I can speak about. It’s mid-heavy, but well balanced at the pinch grip due to strong distal taper and thick tang, and feels plenty nimble enough for tip work, but solid enough for heavy board contact. Feels shorter (in a good way) than it is. It’s my daily driver, versatile, durable and fun to modify/polish.

Convex grind is nice, maybe not as nice as the y. Tanaka you have, but much thicker bte and ground conservatively, leaving a good amount of metal for whatever you want it to end up as.

Profile is dead flat until near the tip - swept up aggressively. Kind of weird, but very nice for eliminating accordion cuts. Just don’t mind the dead stop when you hit the board. I have the migaki version, strongly regret not waiting for the KU - probably my favourite feeling/looking KU.

Strongly recommend, something different feeling than what you have at home :)
Really good advice, much appreciated. I don’t do chopping that’s why I have always picked light, thin and flatter gyutos. I still can’t decide if I should go for the Ku version or migaki version.

Reactions: Pie
Thanks I saw some comments about the batch differences for Mazakis, unfortunately I moved to Brisbane and can no longer visit the knife shops in Sydney.

I have the Kurosaki and Tanaka knives you have. The Mazaki is certainly heavier than these, but not too heavy, especially with the stock handle. It's a welcome change from those two knives, very different "workhorse" profile.

Really good advice, much appreciated. I don’t do chopping that’s why I have always picked light, thin and flatter gyutos. I still can’t decide if I should go for the Ku version or migaki version.
Migaki is a bit lighter, possibly a bit thinner overall. If I was you I’d get the KU to get a fuller heavy experience, further towards that end of the spectrum.

Plus that KU + nashiji is beautiful imo. It’s a shame you can’t go handle them in person, I feel like this is a “you don’t pick the knife, the knife picks you” type situation.

Whatever you choose, it’s a worthy low(er) cost addition I think 🙂.

If you're considering Mazaki for the weight, but unsure about the different versions/profiles, maybe also take a look at the (Mutsumi) Hinoura. They're generally on the beefier side similar to the older Mazakis, with a more consistent design across their range of knives. Really nice and thick out of the handle with a mild taper down the blade. The profile has a bit of flat toward the back and a healthy curve toward the tip, which I really enjoy. My favorite version is the tsuchime hammered ones, but the KU is not bad either.

If you're considering Mazaki for the weight, but unsure about the different versions/profiles, maybe also take a look at the (Mutsumi) Hinoura. They're generally on the beefier side similar to the older Mazakis, with a more consistent design across their range of knives. Really nice and thick out of the handle with a mild taper down the blade. The profile has a bit of flat toward the back and a healthy curve toward the tip, which I really enjoy. My favorite version is the tsuchime hammered ones, but the KU is not bad either.
Thanks for you advice, I have been looking for Hinoura and Yoshikane tsuchime gyuto, they are sold out at most places.

Migaki is a bit lighter, possibly a bit thinner overall. If I was you I’d get the KU to get a fuller heavy experience, further towards that end of the spectrum.

Plus that KU + nashiji is beautiful imo. It’s a shame you can’t go handle them in person, I feel like this is a “you don’t pick the knife, the knife picks you” type situation.

Whatever you choose, it’s a worthy low(er) cost addition I think 🙂.
Thx I will ask the dealer to compare for me and will post my buy when I get it.

Thanks for you advice, I have been looking for Hinoura and Yoshikane tsuchime gyuto, they are sold out at most places.
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...kuren-百煉-white-2-gyuto-240mm-_kurouchi-finish
I will point out that thre is a fair bit of difference between Mazaki and Hinoura. The heat treatment on Mazaki is much harder feeling, probably has longer retention. Hinoura creamier to sharpen, responds better to maintennence stropping IME. Hinoura less reactive cladding. Mazaki has more taper. The grinds are very different. Won't comment on profile because Mazaki seems to vary so much (this could also apply to grinds). Fit and finish was also superior on my Hinoura.

Last edited:
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...kuren-百煉-white-2-gyuto-240mm-_kurouchi-finish
I will point out that thre is a fair bit of difference between Mazaki and Hinoura. The heat treatment on Mazaki is much harder feeling, probably has longer retention. Hinoura creamier to sharpen, responds better to maintennence stropping IME. Hinoura less reactive cladding. Mazaki has more taper. The grinds are very different. Won't comment on profile because Mazaki seems to vary so much (this could also apply to grinds). Fit and finish was also superior on my Hinoura.
Thx Nemo! very informative! I have just ordered an Yoshikane tsuchime skd today (just can’t resist his tsuchime finish) and will reach out to the dealer this weekend regarding this batch of Mazaki they’ve got.

Back