Need a good hunting knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where to begin!? As was stated early primary use is a key concern.. Field dressing its really tough to beat a drop point hunter IMHO. So blade shape and length might be priority 1. Next.. Carbon or stainless.. Being honest about your knife care habits [emoji1]. Here is a pic of a few I like
20190416_205502.jpeg

I know James at 50/fifty knives has made some really strong and light hunters with sheaths. Check his instagram

Another good choice is one of the many hunting knives made by Bark River Knives.

Bark River Kalahari Hunter
Bark River Gunny Hunter
Bark River Canadian
Bark River Fox River

Anton said:

Doesn’t get the use it deserves but the few times I’ve used it is such a joy - the handle to bolster is perfection, fit and grip is amazing

Bill Burke in 52100 sharpens like a mother...

View attachment 48800

Was Ed Fowler his mentor? Looks just like a knife Fowler would make.

Burke did collaborate with Fowler to really perfect the heat treatment of 52100 steel, and it shows in the performance of their blades. Bill’s prong horn hunters do look like Fowlers, but Bill makes other styles as well. Any hunter by Bill in 52100 would be an awesome knife!

I've been working on this deal for a while, three matching Randall model 11's for my boys, I still prefer my folder in the woods but they should love these

Attachments

• IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
12 of our local deer so far say the Mora SS Companion is just fine for field dressing...

5 of their elders had no issues with the Mora/Frosts laminated Carbon steel utility knife.

And to think, I never killed deer with anything but a car until 2008.

Because, after instructing in the school's NRA rifle club and helping with the Hunter safety classes we also taught? And knowing very well the other kids in my home town's general level of sanity/sobriety/safty awareness ca. 1970's? I didn't want to be in the woods during deer season.

I started hunting deer when we got our own land and I knew no one else was going to be anywhere near me with a rifle.

12 of our local deer so far say the Mora SS Companion is just fine for field dressing...

5 of their elders had no issues with the Mora/Frosts laminated Carbon steel utility knife.

And to think, I never killed deer with anything but a car until 2008.

Because, after instructing in the school's NRA rifle club and helping with the Hunter safety classes we also taught? And knowing very well the other kids in my home town's general level of sanity/sobriety/safty awareness ca. 1970's? I didn't want to be in the woods during deer season.

I started hunting deer when we got our own land and I knew no one else was going to be anywhere near me with a rifle.
Pretty good story.I was pretty much like you.I didn't hunt deer for many years after a certain incident.Back about 69 ,I went to Pa with my uncles to hunt deer.I found that I was on the wrong side of the hill when a Buck ran by and shots rang out from the other hill. The all to familiar cracks of the bullets as they wizz pass your ears made me take cover behind a tree.Of course being fresh out of two tours in Vietnam,that little ordeal told me I had better watch where I hunt because there are some who are totally ignorant of hunting safety and shouldn't even be near a rifle.
I think you brought the Mora SS Companion to my attention on an earlier post so I ordered one just to play around with and I find it a well worthy knife but playing around with it,I do,by cutting feather Sticks and doing little bushcraft chores.It's a very good knife and for the price,a great steal.

I'm going to defend hunters here a little as I have othen heard the refrain "I don't hunt anymore after hearing all the gun fire and knowing the bullets were flying by me." It has happened but I can't remember the last hunter accidentally shot that way around here. More commonly they shot themselves or their hunting partner getting in or out of a truck with a loaded rifle (against our laws.) Hard to fix stupid for sure.

I'm going to defend hunters here a little as I have othen heard the refrain "I don't hunt anymore after hearing all the gun fire and knowing the bullets were flying by me." It has happened but I can't remember the last hunter accidentally shot that way around here. More commonly they shot themselves or their hunting partner getting in or out of a truck with a loaded rifle (against our laws.) Hard to fix stupid for sure.
Oh it is rare in deed and I do hunt.I just make sure who is around me and pick the place where I hunt.I don't hunt public lands anymore because of a few more bad experiences that happened while pheasant hunting.Just glad I have my own place to hunt now.

I’ve been eyeing “Hatcher Knives”, “ML Knives”, and “Andrea Skalanis” hunters. Time will tell...

Anton said:

Doesn’t get the use it deserves but the few times I’ve used it is such a joy - the handle to bolster is perfection, fit and grip is amazing

Bill Burke in 52100 sharpens like a mother...

View attachment 48800

Was Ed Fowler his mentor? Looks just like a knife Fowler would make.

Burke did collaborate with Fowler to really perfect the heat treatment of 52100 steel, and it shows in the performance of their blades. Bill’s prong horn hunters do look like Fowlers, but Bill makes other styles as well. Any hunter by Bill in 52100 would be an awesome knife!

Indeed - Bill collaborated with Fowler. Bill prob has some of the best heat treat on 52100.

I’m an outdoor knife freak. I love them.

I have however processed most of my deer with a mora companion. Second place. A boring Buck 112 folder.

I just sold my adventure sworn Explorer. I just didn’t love the coke bottle handle shape. Great knife otherwise. Profoundly sharp.

I’m going elk hunting this year. I’m bringing a grail knife. My Gough Resolute. I’m gonna hopefully deprecate it drastically. :)

I can't speak for Hatcher or Andrea but I have used a couple of ML knives on hunts and like them very well.

Glad to hear, I really like the stubby aesthetic on the smaller knives. I really wish that more Knifemakers have more ready-to-sell stock. The 1-2 month wait is too much for me to handle

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back