Need some paring knife suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5370H55V

Reaction score
So right now I've got a carbon mazaki gyuto and petty pair that I enjoy using along with a relatively semistainless santoku (takamura chromax) for when the girlfriend or guests are over, but I also need some suggestions for a smaller paring knife that would be shared use between myself and other non knife people.
Looking for a stainless or clad semistainless (no clad carbons) paring knife with a western handle. I've heard good things about the Harner paring knives, but they're a bit outside my price range, and I'm not sure how well the angled flat blade edge works compared to more traditional spear point blades. Is there anything else out there with a combination of good grind and edge retention what you guys would recommend?

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Paring knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
80-110mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes, stainless or semi-stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Peeling and cutting fruits, eyeing potatoes, various handheld work

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Opinel stainless paring knife

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Comfort, Edge Retention, Better aesthetics (optional)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) No (already have enough stones)

i was recently on a quest for a stainless paring knife, specifically for in-hand work (i already had a couple of pettys for board work).

i ended up settling on the 3.5" / 90mm shun kanso. not sure what i think about the aus10 steel yet, but the profile of the tip is perfect for coring fruit and eyeing potatoes. also works well slicing limes to garnish cocktails.

If you want to start with something less spendy, I got the Gesshin 90MM Paring Knife from JKI, and I love it. Not sure if it's technically a western handle (?). It's also not the prettiest thing, but it's nice and sharp OOB and easy to handle; I think it'll be perfect for 'non-knife' people. Great for in-hand work and also on small boards to slice fruits, veggies, and even cheese. They've been sold out for at least 1-2 months, but hopefully will come back in stock soon.

JKI was actually the first place I checked before starting the thread, but unfortunately it seems like almost all their western paring knives are sold out at the moment. I have several of them on notification but right now I'm hoping to see what other options are out there that are in stock.

The MAC pro seems like the best option so far, with a good blade shape and taper. From research it seems people say their proprietary steel is VG5 like the Tamahagane suggested earlier. How is VG5 compared to VG10 in terms of edge retention, since I can get a shun premier 4" for around the same price?
And while looking I stumbled onto this knife? Seems like a good deal for the steel being used, any thoughts on how it compares to the other choices?

For handheld work I think a small Herder is perfect for the job

Blazen 110 R2. No sharp heel - this is for me the best parer I have used. Most likely not within your budget. But I can really recommend it.

Nearly all of the knives that are sold as paring knives today are, IMO, simply small petty knives. I do not consider those paring knives as the sharp heel and usually not narrow enough blade make the in-hand cutting harder.

Back