Newbie to Japanese knives - request recommendation for a budget <$200 (Specific Brand, Model please)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingru

Reaction score
Dear All - I own two Zwilling Pro knives (8" chef and a boning knife) since 2017 and pretty comfortable with Western knives.

Not a super fast chopping expert but when it comes to cutting I try do precise cuts whenever possible.

I have now Carpal tunnel and want to avoid heavy knives like the Zwilling. The Zwilling is pretty heavy, thick stainless steel, so when chopping it becomes hard as the knife is like a wedge. Therefore, prefer the ligher yet sharper Japanese knives.

Not sure why but I have a love for the high-carbon the black-blue steel! (But I understand the basics of white steel vs blue steel, #1 & #2 stuff but sometimes that goes too much for me as I am inexperienced)

I was planning to buy Shun Classic Nakiri but I read from other forums that there are better "niche" options for the same price though I do not see specific brand/model recommendations. I also just don't want to go to the JCK site or jappany and filter by price and availability and blindly go for it. Some rationale, expert judgement is what I am looking for.

Personally love the shape of Kirutsuke, and Bunka. Nakiri is also good as I am mostly chopping veggies, occasionally some chicken. Will not be using for bones.

I reviewed several posts, and the this one post came closest to what I want but not exact :)

Need your help folks. Here's my full request detail. Thanks, thanks a lot for your help in advance. Links to good websites appreciated if its allowed in the forum.

Full knive request form below:

What country are you in? USA (Southern California)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Chef knife

Are you right or left handed? Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Very-very Japanese handle :)

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 6-8 inches.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No, looking for the black/blue high carbon thin blades. 80% cutting veggies. Rarely cut Chicken breast etc. Will not cut bones.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200. May stretch a few dollars up for the best ones ;) (Because this is gonna be my primary knife for the next 2-3 years)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home cook

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro 8" Traditional Chef's Knife (I have Zwilling Boning knife and a Cangshan 16 piece set which are used by everyone at home). This one I am asking for will be "mine-mine" only.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Bit of pinch grip as I am used to European chef knife technique, but not a hard request.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Rocking mostly and chopping sometimes for Parsley as my current knife is Zwilling Traditional Chef knife, so I am used to rocking but that does not mean I can't chop or learn that technique.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Razor-like Sharpness, Comfort/Ergonomical, Wood rounded handle, Black/Bue High Carbon Steel blade, Lighter, Good grip, Good edge retention. Double bevel.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not particular, but love damascus and dark wooden handle.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Lighter preferable as Zwilling is pretty heavy and pains my palm and wrist after 30 minutes of chopping onions. Medium heavy is okay but not for sure like the Zwilling.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Good multifunction for veggies. Will sharp in the stone once in 1-2 weeks.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Preferable

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Have a Wood & Asahi Rubber board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, I have King stone (now practicing) and the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite Knife Sharpener

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, interested to learn knife sharpening

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Not now, I have already mentioned above

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
None

Last edited:
Hello,

You say in one part that a nakiri is fine because you mostly chop, and in another that you mostly rock.

If you do a lot of rocking, I'd suggest the Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Bunka at Chefknives togo.

If you do a lot of chopping, you should consider this nakiri as well.
https://knifejapan.com/nojiyama-marunaka-nakiri-180mm-kurouchi-stainless/
Both excel at everything, but the Yoshimitsu is slightly better at cutting carrots. Not really a big difference. The Nojiyama will stay sharper longer, but both will stay very sharp for over two weeks of daily home cooking.

Going against the grain here but considering:
-Your main motivation is you want something lighter for health reasons
-You desire to buy 'only 1 good knife'
-You desire something that requires as little cutting force as possible, no wedging

I'd lean strongly towards one of the stainless lasers. Whether that's an Ashi Ginga (in stainless), or a Takamura or something else. If you want to limit your budget I'd forego preferences like damascus.

Kiritsuke (k-tip) and bunka are typically not well suited for rocking. Nakiri will be largely dependent on the amount curve at the front edge.

Like @M1k3 I'm recommending Munetoshi, but this time I'm saying to consider the new "195 All Around". I have a standard 210 that I really like and haven't used the All Around yet but it sure ticks a lot of your boxes.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-sanjo/

Since you’re in LA, take a trip to JKI so you can get their advice and try out a bunch of different knives in store - that’ll really help you narrow down your preferences.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/
Thin, light laser was the first thing I thought of like @Jovidah mentioned. The classics in your general price range being Takamura, Ashi Ginga, Shibata. There were some Takamura VG10 180mm on sale for $90 somewhere recently which was a killer deal. I hear Kei Kobayashi is also very thin but might be out of your price range.

For nakiris if you can find a Wakui in white #2 at the old price of <$200 that’s a steal. There were some available recently at Ai & Om which look sold out now but you might find them discounted for Christmas sales.

Right now I would advise against buying anything at full price. Lots of vendors are having good sales of around 10-25% off, so keep your eyes open.

Oh I almost forgot - since you want a blade that you can force a dark patina, also check out Shiro Kamo’s carbon offerings. I don’t have direct personal experience but his carbon offerings are said to be very thin and the price is surprisingly low. If you soak one in instant coffee for a few hours it should turn a really dark grey.

Here’s one example - he uses many different carbon steels so do a little googling for more.
https://knivesandstones.us/products/shinko-seilan-aogami-super-gyuto-210-mm-by-shiro-kamo

Hello,

You say in one part that a nakiri is fine because you mostly chop, and in another that you mostly rock.

If you do a lot of rocking, I'd suggest the Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Bunka at Chefknives togo.

If you do a lot of chopping, you should consider this nakiri as well.
https://knifejapan.com/nojiyama-marunaka-nakiri-180mm-kurouchi-stainless/
Both excel at everything, but the Yoshimitsu is slightly better at cutting carrots. Not really a big difference. The Nojiyama will stay sharper longer, but both will stay very sharp for over two weeks of daily home cooking.

I should clarify that Rocking vs. Chopping thing... Because my current knife is a Zwilling Pro 8" Chef, I use the rocking technique that does not mean that I am only familiar with that. Just that this knife is not suited for chopping. :)

I got my friend a kyohei shindo which might fit your needs nicely. It has an extremely thin edge, but thick spine right at the handle so the grip is comfortable. The steel is fairly reactive and will develop a nice patina. It's not as long as other gyutos recommended, but offers plenty of heel height and clearance off the board. The weight is less also because of the shorter blade, but fitting for its size. The only downside is the stock handles are terrible, but you can get one at suji and pick out your own custom handle to go with it.
https://sugicutlery.com/products/copy-of-kyohei-iron-clad-aogami-kurouchi-funayuki-165mm-blade-only
Here's a pic of it from earlier this year
PXL_20220305_154605119.jpg

I got my friend a kyohei shindo which might fit your needs nicely. It has an extremely thin edge, but thick spine right at the handle so the grip is comfortable. The steel is fairly reactive and will develop a nice patina. It's not as long as other gyutos recommended, but offers plenty of heel height and clearance off the board. The weight is less also because of the shorter blade, but fitting for its size. The only downside is the stock handles are terrible, but you can get one at suji and pick out your own custom handle to go with it.
https://sugicutlery.com/products/copy-of-kyohei-iron-clad-aogami-kurouchi-funayuki-165mm-blade-only
Here's a pic of it from earlier this year
View attachment 213762
This is beautiful. The price is very reasonale too. Do mind me asking how is the edge retention and how eazy to get the razor sharpness? (if you would know as it was for your friend)

This is beautiful. The price is very reasonale too. Do mind me asking how is the edge retention and how eazy to get the razor sharpness? (if you would know as it was for your friend)
The grind is incredibly thin behind the edge. Out of the 100 or so knives I've owned, this ranks in the top 5 for thinness behind the edge. So it also means sharpening is very easy because there is so little material that needs to be removed. Edge retention is fine. Blue#2 steel typically holds its edge better than the white steels, but in general there were no noticeable issues in that department.

Going against the grain here but considering:
-Your main motivation is you want something lighter for health reasons
-You desire to buy 'only 1 good knife'
-You desire something that requires as little cutting force as possible, no wedging

I'd lean strongly towards one of the stainless lasers. Whether that's an Ashi Ginga (in stainless), or a Takamura or something else. If you want to limit your budget I'd forego preferences like damascus.
Thanks, Jovidah
cc: Thanks, Delat

Yes, I can let go the Damascus preference.
Narrowing down to lighter, sharper, rounded japanese style handle. Any specific model recommendation?

Since you’re in LA, take a trip to JKI so you can get their advice and try out a bunch of different knives in store - that’ll really help you narrow down your preferences.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/
Thin, light laser was the first thing I thought of like @Jovidah mentioned. The classics in your general price range being Takamura, Ashi Ginga, Shibata. There were some Takamura VG10 180mm on sale for $90 somewhere recently which was a killer deal. I hear Kei Kobayashi is also very thin but might be out of your price range.

For nakiris if you can find a Wakui in white #2 at the old price of <$200 that’s a steal. There were some available recently at Ai & Om which look sold out now but you might find them discounted for Christmas sales.

Right now I would advise against buying anything at full price. Lots of vendors are having good sales of around 10-25% off, so keep your eyes open.
I actually checked JKI, unfortunately they are open only on weekdays and only from 11:00 am - 6:00 pm. I should have said I am on the Northern part of Southern California 🤣 it takes 90 minutes one way to the store and can't afford to travel during work days. But I sincerely hope to pay a visit sometime.

I'm going to echo Delat's comment that since you live in SoCal, you should 100% go to Japanese Knife Imports and talk to them about knives, hold a few, get a real sense of what excites you. You don't necessarily have to buy one there, but there is no better way to get an idea of what works best for you than holding them in your hand. You'll know what length feels good, what weight, balance, etc. You are fortunate to live close to a world class knife store owned by one of the best in the business, take advantage of that.

IMO you will be hard pressed to find a best knife for the money than a Kyohei Shindo bunka, funayuki or gyuto. Super thin behind the edge, gets nasty sharp quite easily and it holds that edge quite good. Full carbon knife with iron cladding.

Extremely great knife for a very ridiculous price, it outperforms many more expensive knives by a lot, in my experience. At the Tokushu Knife web store you can get it with an upgraded handle, which is the only fault I can find in that knife, it comes with a pretty meh handle.

If you are willing to spend more, then a Hado Sumi Bunka.

Thank you...
any thoughts on the below running close to $200 on site hasuseizo .com? Guessing these are not from good artisans...
  1. GYUTO JAPANESE CHEF KNIFE 180MM (7.1") / 210MM (8.3") DAMASCUS 45 LAYER WITH WALNUT HANDLE
  2. GYUTO JAPANESE CHEF KNIFE 240MM (9.4") DAMASCUS 33 LAYER WITH LACQUERED OAK HANDLE

IMO you will be hard pressed to find a best knife for the money than a Kyohei Shindo bunka, funayuki or gyuto. Super thin behind the edge, gets nasty sharp quite easily and it holds that edge quite good. Full carbon knife with iron cladding.

Extremely great knife for a very ridiculous price, it outperforms many more expensive knives by a lot, in my experience. At the Tokushu Knife web store you can get it with an upgraded handle, which is the only fault I can find in that knife, it comes with a pretty meh handle.

If you are willing to spend more, then a Hado Sumi Bunka.

HADO - SUMI - White #2 Kurouchi - 180mm Bunka looks great and feel that it is close to my liking. The price is $300 though far above my budget but will have to think about it as I gather information from this group. Thank you!

HADO - SUMI - White #2 Kurouchi - 180mm Bunka looks great and feel that it is close to my liking. The price is $300 though far above my budget but will have to think about it as I gather information from this group. Thank you!
It is forged by Y. Tanaka, a highly regarded knife maker.

Still, I encourage you to check out the Shindos I mentioned.
Thank you...
any thoughts on the below running close to $200 on site hasuseizo .com? Guessing these are not from good artisans...
  1. GYUTO JAPANESE CHEF KNIFE 180MM (7.1") / 210MM (8.3") DAMASCUS 45 LAYER WITH WALNUT HANDLE
  2. GYUTO JAPANESE CHEF KNIFE 240MM (9.4") DAMASCUS 33 LAYER WITH LACQUERED OAK HANDLE
It is impossible for us to know who makes those knives just with that info. It doesn't even mention the steel.

Thank you...
Those are Sakai Takayuki blades, made for them by some oems, you can get similar knives probably by the same factory for cheaper.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...a-gyuto-210mm-and-240mm?variant=1477299929112

Those are Sakai Takayuki blades, made for them by some oems, you can get similar knives probably by the same factory for cheaper.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...a-gyuto-210mm-and-240mm?variant=1477299929112
The 180 is out of stock.

Many of the knives quoted here are not available on the japanesechefsknife or japaneseknifeimports. Are japanny, knifewear, strataportland reliable to get authentic stuff? (I hate to buy on ebay and Amazon - had bad experience)

Last edited:
The 180 is out of stock.

Many of the knives quoted here are not available on the japanesechefsknife or japaneseknifeimports. Are japanny, knifewear reliable to get authentic stuff? (I hate to buy on ebay and Amazon - had bad experience)

Yes, japanny, knifewear, and sharp knife shop are all solid vendors. Also chef knives to go. epicurean edge, and bernal. Follow them on instagram to get notifications of their sales - you can usually get 10% or more off.

There’s a thread floating around with a list of vendors people use, I couldn’t find it but maybe somebody will link it for you.

Yes, japanny, knifewear, and sharp knife shop are all solid vendors. Also chef knives to go. epicurean edge, and bernal. Follow them on instagram to get notifications of their sales - you can usually get 10% or more off.

There’s a thread floating around with a list of vendors people use, I couldn’t find it but maybe somebody will link it for you.
Thank you!

Although the ones I already mentioned are better performers, you should also give Shiro Kamo White #2 Bunka 165mm at Chef knives to go a look.

Damascus.
Light and thin.
Dark round handle.

Last edited:
Back