Newbie to Japanese knives - request recommendation for a budget <$200 (Specific Brand, Model please)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 180 is out of stock.

Many of the knives quoted here are not available on the japanesechefsknife or japaneseknifeimports. Are japanny, knifewear, strataportland reliable to get authentic stuff? (I hate to buy on ebay and Amazon - had bad experience)
Japanny is reliable but they have higher prices than many other stores. I personally do not recommend them.

If you guys don't mind me asking, which are the best brands for this <=$200+ price? My head is spinning remembering the knife brands, all Japanese names sound the same to me! :confused:

Last edited:
If you guys don't mind me asking, which are the best brands for this <=$200+ price? My head is spinning remembering the knife brands, all Japanese names sound the same to me! :confused:
Takamura R2 or Chromax or VG-10 version. Get the 210 gyuto and you'll find them hard to beat at their prices and even some pricier knives will not be as good.

On top of my head:

Kyohei Shindo
Muneishi
Munetoshi
Takamura
Shiro Kamo
Hattori
Makoto Kurasaki
Mazakage
Anything house branded at Japanesechefsknife webshop like:
Fun-Rin-Ka-Zan and JCK

Some series from Sakai Takayuki are also very good.

All the brands proposed in this thread so far are good ones. Folks are just trying to recommend specific knives that we think fit your personal likes that you mentioned but that doesn't mean that one brand is necessarily better than another mentioned. They just have different styles and characteristics.

In the beginning, it can get overwhelming if you let it. I would recommend sticking with what fits all or the most of your criteria and that you like. Many of us can attest that sometimes there is some trial and error in getting just the right knife. So, get as close as you think you can and go for it.

Coming from years of using a Zwilling, the performance difference of just about thing you choose is going to be big. :)

Thank you, guys. Point noted!

On a side-note just to share what's going on my end...

My 2004 Honda Accord's Catalytic Convertor got stolen yesterday night. I am so... sad! It's going to cost me anywhere between $2000 off-market to $5000+ in Honda OEM.

Thank you, guys. Point noted!

On a side-note just to share what's going on my end...

My 2004 Honda Accord's Catalytic Convertor got stolen yesterday night. I am so... sad! It's going to cost me anywhere between $2000 off-market to $5000+ in Honda OEM.

That sucks! That crap is out of control here too. Freaking thieves suck!

Takamura R2 or Chromax or VG-10 version. Get the 210 gyuto and you'll find them hard to beat at their prices and even some pricier knives will not be as good.
Why don't I find the Takamura's with the Japanese handles?

That sucks! That crap is out of control here too. Freaking thieves suck!
Yeah, its crap. Same day around same time, another car was also ripped off the Cats. No idea what the cops are doing! Wondering the situation in other countries!

I suggest that you guys protect the 'Cats' with a shield or the chains, proactively. I have heard this before just because of my neglect to be proactive and spend $300 for Cat protection, now I am paying a huge price!

There is a Mazaki 210 mm on BST now for $180. Great knife for a great deal!

Thank you! Any thoughts about this knife and the vendor? The price is with in my budget and could not find stock from reputed online sellers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204110655387
The knife is excellent. I've written a bit about it before if you do a search.

I believe that ebay vendor is @TokushuKnife who is a forum sponsor. You can probably order it directly from their website for less.

Thank you, folks. The ebay one has with handle and the site has the knife without the handle. Considering the handle itself costs $40-$120 I ordered on ebay. Hope to get an authentic one. Thank you so very much to all and the forum for guiding me through this process.

I guess this is a good all rounder and can use it for the next few years but will try to upgrade to the next level category once I get a hang of Japanese knives. Thanks!! Happy holidays!

Finally got my Kyohei Shindo Bunka. I bought directly from Tokushu Knife: Buy Japanese Chef Knives Online and Tony was helpful in the process. I am really enjoying this knife. Light weight, very sharp and comfortable handle - just exactly like I wanted. I sincerely, appreciate all of you here helping me select this great knife. Thank you!

Attachments

• Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_1.jpg
    Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_2.jpg
    Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_3.jpg
    Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_4.jpeg
    Tokushu - Kyohei Shindo Bunka_4.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
Great knife, congrats, btw some Japanese carbon knife come with a layer of lacquer finish to prefect them during shipping, some acetone/nail polish will remove them.

Back