Non Recipe Cook Books

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrymeows

Reaction score
I'm one of those people that doesn't like following recipes and love to experiment with different things. I want to learn more about the science behind cooking and how to combine different flavours to achieve something even more grand. I just finished culinary school December 2018 and I was quite disappointed that they didn't teach anything regarding flavour; just taught basic cookery methods and management.
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat is a great example and it is one of my favourite. Are there any other reads similar to that?

Edit: Ohh, found something similar.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...okbooks-or-websites-yt-etc.36779/#post-548835

Last edited:
In similar vein to The Flavor Bible, I have Niki Segnit's Flavor Thesaurus, which has been wonderful in my experience.
I got her new book "Lateral Cooking" for Christmas, and I've really enjoyed it, too. While it does contain starting point recipes for each concept, the variations and concepts are presented less as individual recipes than as descriptions from which you can derive your own path.

Modernist Cuisine at Home has quite a lot of info in it. It's not cheap (but fun to read).

Another one I like is The Conran Cookbook. Contains many sections about tools and techniques.

And there is On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. That one is pretty much considered a bible.
I just watched the Harvard University lecture sharing on Modernist Cuisine at Home by Nathan last night. Really interesting!

I've heard of the flavour Bible too!

Thanks for the recommendations!

I have the 5 volume modernist cuisine with me. if you PM me your email I can send it over via google drive

Back