Novel (to me) TF’s

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was there on the weekend, the cleavers and yanagibas werent in but the little gyuto and the 195 nakiri were both pretty cool and definetely worth a look, as someone with relatively large hands im definetely pondering the 150 gyuto as a petty substitute given the extra height

They list the cleaver as aogami super, but I suspect it's actually a nashiji. Huge price difference

BTW Denka Bunka and Nakiri were there for a while... you guys took a look at the choil shots?

Both handles installed so offset it's unbelievable a human being with brains has done it.

Geometry... Bunka looks almost warped, but I guess it's salvageable. Nakiri basically looks like Moritaka grind... then again, even more easily salvageable. Still... jeeeeeeez.

$1125 Cad for that 195 Denka Nakiri is a bit ridiculous when it is about $800 CAD direct from TF

It's the usual of any vendor with TFs... at least here in Canucks land. 30-40% markoff from TF. Not so different anywhere else around the world, but some shops fine tune it for you for the CAD price.

BTW Denka Bunka and Nakiri were there for a while... you guys took a look at the choil shots?

Both handles installed so offset it's unbelievable a human being with brains has done it.

Geometry... Bunka looks almost warped, but I guess it's salvageable. Nakiri basically looks like Moritaka grind... then again, even more easily salvageable. Still... jeeeeeeez.
Just took a look at that bunka, damn… you’d thought it is a DaoVua just from that choil shot.

The grind looks okay to me. There’s some distortion from the hammer marks. It’s not perfectly symmetric but that’s the norm.

Lolz... zoom BTE, look at the rest. What I meant is exactly what it is: you'll have an equal or better chance at the lottery ordering direct from TF. While at it switch that **** Ho handle for a proper **** Yo... I mean at least the latter makes a TF instead of having it look like the worse money you could ever spend towards 500-1K$ USD.

TeruyasaFujiwaraDenkaBunka180mmedgegeometry_1024x1024@2x.jpg

There is basically four shoulders with this grind... first directly BTE and while nothing SO overwhelming, with a zoom you can see how flimsy the additional thinning there is with the core all wavy.

The second one underline with a thicker horizontal red line is possibly the worse... zoom again and you'll see it's pretty terrible.

But then on the right side there is a third one, because you know... it's difficult to do one job correctly let alone all the sequences into a knife.

And then there's your regular Shinogi... or so you'd think but who knows.

If in doubt take a look at my triple angle grind Mabs petty... or possibly it's a quintet angle grind, at some point one needs to just let go of how bad a grind one gets for half a K to a full K anyhow.

150 CompGrR.jpg

View attachment 176827

There is basically four shoulders with this grind... first directly BTE and while nothing SO overwhelming, with a zoom you can see how flimsy the additional thinning there is with the core all wavy.

The second one underline with a thicker horizontal red line is possibly the worse... zoom again and you'll see it's pretty terrible.

But then on the right side there is a third one, because you know... it's difficult to do one job correctly let alone all the sequences into a knife.

And then there's your regular Shinogi... or so you'd think but who knows.

If in doubt take a look at my triple angle grind Mabs petty... or possibly it's a quintet angle grind, at some point one needs to just let go of how bad a grind one gets for half a K to a full K anyhow.

View attachment 176829
I’m not saying this TF has a great grind but Toyama is pretty known for the double shoulder on the right side of the grind and it’s praised as one of the best. Kyuzo shinogi grinds have a much worse lower protrusion and again, praise. FWIW I didn’t really like either of those that much.

Oooooops did not mean to start this again. Just never seen a few of these before 😬

I mean I love my denka but I’ll be the first to say it’s not everyone’s wonky, less than perfectly finished cup of tea.

edit: wow that handle is massive crooked on the bunka 🤣

I’m not saying this TF has a great grind but Toyama is pretty known for the double shoulder on the right side of the grind and it’s praised as one of the best. Kyuzo shinogi grinds have a much worse lower protrusion and again, praise. FWIW I didn’t really like either of those that much.

I get you and as far as I've experienced it is true... said so in my review of it if you dare go there. But just look-ee here.

Choil.jpg

Toyama

BUUUUT.... we're far from the same quality, continuity and aptfulness of grinding (looked at quite a few Toyama.. and Wats for that matter).

And a Toyama's price even now augmented is what... on par with TF's White #1 in Mabs lineup or so? I'd take a Toyama B#2 any day of the week in whatever format over a TF Mabs.

*Prices considering my usual CAD vendors prices. Direct TF you'll save money but likely won't save whatever wonkiness TFs always come with.

Handle upgrade option: straight installation (+10000 yen)

but seriously there’s no way the minutes saved on a 500+ knife is worth the loss of reputation. But I fear to see how much TFs would cost if they didn’t have issues

Reactions: Pie
Handle upgrade option: straight installation (+10000 yen)

but seriously there’s no way the minutes saved on a 500+ knife is worth the loss of reputation. But I fear to see how much TFs would cost if they didn’t have issues

Minutes? Say in average 3 hours session unless you’re a pro with pro gears. I’m a home cook working with a few stones and sandpapers on a countertop and aiming to be efficient… Not being the same than « let’s make that project knife A project knife indeed » which with TF usually means another three hours.

I’m obviously not talking let’s make TF usual low beveling insanely thin and call it a day. The thinner you bring a knife along the established road the flatter it becomes. It’ll stick and wedge unless you make it A full blown project to at once correct it and improve it still. Add another 3 hours on a TF… to infinity. Or pay the same amount for a knife with preferred geometry, good F&F and handle, close to say Kono FM or 25% savings on a Yoshi Nash… or something and whatever….

Minutes? Say in average 3 hours session unless you’re a pro with pro gears. I’m a home cook working with a few stones and sandpapers on a countertop and aiming to be efficient… Not being the same than « let’s make that project knife A project knife indeed » which with TF usually means another three hours.

I’m obviously not talking let’s make TF usual low beveling insanely thin and call it a day. The thinner you bring a knife along the established road the flatter it becomes. It’ll stick and wedge unless you make it A full blown project to at once correct it and improve it still. Add another 3 hours on a TF… to infinity. Or pay the same amount for a knife with preferred geometry, good F&F and handle, close to say Kono FM or 25% savings on a Yoshi Nash… or something and whatever….
Nah I just meant the handle installs. This isn’t the first terribly askew one

Oh that… depends on your definition of askew.

Both above mentionned TFs on SKS being « since we’re there lets correct it the Other Side » case.

Back