NYC restaurant suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJDedge

Reaction score
Heading to Manhattan middle march…
Any suggestions for awesome restaurants…
Any cuisine and any price range is in play..
Thanks in advance

Oxalis in Brooklyn, buddy of mine’s place. Highly seasonal, market driven, do the tasting menu.

Heading to Manhattan middle march…
Any suggestions for awesome restaurants…
Any cuisine and any price range is in play..
Thanks in advance

How long you gonna be in Manhattan? Typically when I give recommendations I'll ask where they're staying; what they like to eat; price point; etc.

Of the top of my head:

• Firstly, gotta visit a J-knive store—there's MTC, Korin, etc.

• Chinese Food in Manhatten Chinatown—faves these days are Uncle Lou, well done, Canto classics; Wu's Wonton King (think @Chang had a blowout feast there a while ago), bbq and watercress/pork dumplings, etc; for Canto dive eats there's Wo Hop, Joe's Shanghai for soup dumplings. This said, Manhattan Chinatown has gotten touristy—best Chinese joints are in Brooklyn, Queens.

• Delux Market on Elizabeth is well worth a wander, the food counter is impressive—a scrum for Chinese eats.

• Dig the Japanese food in the East Village—Yakitori Taisho, Sobaya, Hasaki, a cocktail at Angel's Share a must.

• Ramen—venture no further than the Lower East Side for a bowl from Ramen Ishida, Nakamura, Mr. Taka or Ivan.

• Pizza—heaps of good pizza in NYC. May be worthwhile heading to Brooklyn to queue up at Lucali, Julianna's, or go further into Brooklyn for Totonno's in Coney Island or DiFara in Midwood.

• If fancying something upscale, I've always been a fan of Gramercy Tavern or Daniel's.

• Urban Hawker has been hyped—I've never been. Don't see a reason to go, when I can eat in the Malaysian neighborhood of Bensonhurst/Gravesend. ...and grabbing pizza afterwards at L&B Spumoni Gardens.

• One of my fave contemporary restaurants in Brooklyn (near my work) is Vinegar Hill House. A must eat there is the Red Wattle Pork Chop—FYI it's an endangered species. Also, been meaning to eat at a new joint called the Pearls Street Supper Club.

• The Hala Guy's food cart on 6th Ave/53rd is good for a belly filler.

Too many places to list.

• If fancying something upscale, I've always been a fan of Gramercy Tavern or Daniel's.
Of the fancy restaurants I've been to in NYC, Daniel is a real winner. Le Bernardin is up there too.

• The Hala Guy's food cart on 6th Ave/53rd is good for a belly filler.
When I lived in NYC (10 years), street meat was a staple. Have to have it every time I go back, platter with hot sauce and extra white sauce. Most are pretty good, but the guy on 6th and 53rd is the best. Not sure if they are still there but the Biryani cart on 43rd and 6th is also fantastic.

I'll add ktown for korean BBQ. Wonjo was my regular spot.

Yakitori Totto if you are in midtown.

Of the fancy restaurants I've been to in NYC, Daniel is a real winner. Le Bernardin is up there too.

When I lived in NYC (10 years), street meat was a staple. Have to have it every time I go back, platter with hot sauce and extra white sauce. Most are pretty good, but the guy on 6th and 53rd is the best. Not sure if they are still there but the Biryani cart on 43rd and 6th is also fantastic.

I'll add ktown for korean BBQ. Wonjo was my regular spot.

Yakitori Totto if you are in midtown.
Forgot about KTown! I also love Wonjo—usually get the galbitang. Miss Korea across the street looks good, but haven’t eaten there yet. Always wanted to eat at Le Bernadin, but haven't. Keen's steak House is worth it just for the interior.

Fancy food from around the world? This guy decided he would find a restaurant from every nation in the UN within the confines of the five boroughs of NYC. Quibbles abound (he missed both my favorite Azerbaijani and Albanian restaurants and the Palestinian place I love the most wasn’t even open when he put this together) but the guy deserves respect

https://www.unitednationsoffood.com/
I also frequently refer to eater when I’m looking for something interesting

• Ramen—venture no further than the Lower East Side for a bowl from Ramen Ishida, Nakamura, Mr. Taka or Ivan.
YES. I used to eat at Mr. Taka almost weekly. Ivan is fantastic and pushes the envelope a bit more, but Mr. Taka for me is the goods.

If you are sticking in the LES or are there in the AM, get in line for a bagel and lox at Russ & Daughters. it will be worth it.

a random fav of mine going on 20 years is L'artusi in the West Village. just fantastic modern italian. i think it's still pretty difficult to get a table but you can typically walk in and get a spot at the bar for a late dinner around 10pm.

I used to work for Blue Ribbon so i would recommend a number of their restaurants around the city but the best is the original brasserie on Sullivan street in soho. they kind of popularized the bone marrow app and it's on point there along with the pupu platter. The fried chicken is unique and legenedary. the chicken is also on the menu at the BR sushi restaurants around the city and is a great share plate prior to sushi...check out the Izakaya on Orchard street in the LES.

NY outpost of Au Cheval is excellent. incredible burgers.

for the most part avoid little italy and chinatown for great food, the classics that made these neighborhoods great have migrated elsewhere.

Back