'Official' Dimensions Cleaver vs. Nakiri | Chime in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch_br

Careful man, there's a beverage here...
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on:

What are the precise dimensions that make a rectangle a Cleaver vs. a Nakiri?

So share your thoughts...

Last edited:
80-90mm height is a judgment call. Depending on length, I might be inclined to call it a big nakiri. Maybe any length under 200 is big nakiri.

Should it be about height at all though? What about the height to length ratio?

I could make a 120mmX480mm blade and that would fall under you specs, but it wouldn't resemble much of a cleaver.

I'd say typical would be at least 190x80 or larger. But if any one of your 4 corners is not square, then that *** is broken; I don't care what size it is.
84A2E08D-C881-4CF5-85BE-098289239035.jpeg
DA25A8E2-2436-4A5F-8A4B-F42980D7E930.jpeg

cleavers, the added weight helps, the increased height allows for more scooping and more possibilities for a tapered grind to a thin edge.

I think it is a little tricky to define them simply by a height and length formula. Like for example, the 2.5 to 1 ratio makes a 190mm x76mm a cleaver, and I’m not sure if you might come across something with those specs and it feel like a nakiri.

Often times you can look at them or specs and know they are a nakiri or cleaver, but sometimes (when the specs are in the gray area) I think you have to handle it and then you know for sure.

For example, with the Kamon cleaver, if @BillHanna used it I think he would comfortably say it was a cleaver. With the way Kamon forges his knives and that amount of length it is not going to feel like a nakiri, eventhough it’s shorter than a lot of orders. Also there are other lightweight cleavers that are on the shorter side but with longer lengths.

Another example my 210 Toyama measures 65mm tall. It is unquestionably imho a nakiri, but if you add 10mm in height and put it at 75mm i imagine surely it would be a cleaver.

I had a little 165 cleaver with a western handle and that little guy surely felt like a cleaver.

It had a little thicker grind and would be good for a little dual purpose cleaver. That being said I would agree with most of what’s being said(except the 110mm height, that would seem more of a personal preference) as sort of general terms, but I do think that gray area is sorted out in hand and on the board.

How many grains of sand Does it take to constitute a heap? When We know the answer to that question, maybe We can go on and ask How many nakiris or cleavers it takes to build a nakiri or cleaver heap!

Hypothetically, does a cleaver stop being a cleaver once it's been sharpened below the purported height threshold between cleaver and nakiri? Does it stop being a cleaver when it passes .1mm under the line? And, how does it self-identify? Would the nakiris accept it among their number or would it be an outcast from both cleavers and nakiris alike?

Back