• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Ohira Uchigumori for sale. Great quality, beautiful and rare

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozg31337

Reaction score
Hi. I am thinking of selling this awesome soft uchigumori polisher. Perfect for kasumi finish. Leaves nice and smooth finish on the bevel. Could be used for sharpening too.

Originally bought from Watanabe many years ago. At that time he said it was one of the best uchis that he came across. Flattened and lacqered from the bottom and sides by Shin himself using urushi traditional Japanese method.

Dimentions. 195x72x37, 1260g

The stone creates a nice creamy slurry and is pretty fast cutting. Very enjoyable to use. The line is not toxic.

It hasn't seen a great deal of use. Perhaps a few dozen of bevel polishings and a few times to finish yanagi edge. I have switched to polishing with finger stones as I found it to be easier to handle imperfect bevels.

Price is £1100 including shipping in UK. £30 contribution towards international shipping. Buyer pays any import duties or fees.

Attachments

• 20230509_180913.jpg
    20230509_180913.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_180740.jpg
    20230509_180740.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_181024.jpg
    20230509_181024.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_180807.jpg
    20230509_180807.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_180859.jpg
    20230509_180859.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_180843.jpg
    20230509_180843.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_180816.jpg
    20230509_180816.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230509_180830.jpg
    20230509_180830.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Mod question: With 'transfer fees' you mean import duties / taxes / etc. ? I am asking since it sounds a little confsing.

Hi Matus. The import taxes and duties are the buyers responsibility for granted. No question about that. I was talking about money transfer fees such as PayPal or Wire Tra sfer charges. Hope that is more clear now. Cheers

Hi Matus. The import taxes and duties are the buyers responsibility for granted. No question about that. I was talking about money transfer fees such as PayPal or Wire Tra sfer charges. Hope that is more clear now. Cheers
You will need to include these fees in the asking price please.

Thanks.

Beautiful stone, let me check my wallet..
🦋
Oh, not for me!

Good luck with your sale. Someone will be very happy with this 👌

Dropping price to £1000 including shipping in UK. £30 contribution towards international shipping.

Hello fellows. Just checking to see if there is any interest in this wonderful stone, or am I wasting my time? It kind of makes no sense to sell this beauty for the lower price than I've paid for it years and years back.

Hello fellows. Just checking to see if there is any interest in this wonderful stone, or am I wasting my time? It kind of makes no sense to sell this beauty for the lower price than I've paid for it years and years back.
OK, let me be honest...I know pretty well how painful it is to lose a lot of money when selling stuff, have experienced it several times with basically new knives (because I had massive import fees in) and several times also with JNATs (for instance on my very first better JNAT, a Maruo suita also from Watanabe, I was bleeding around 500 USD)...And i definitely wish you as well as anybody else the very best luck in not end up like this...

But - and that's the more important part - if you would look more closely what's going on for instance here on BST (but not only here, just have a look e.g. at the great new webshop opened by ethompson some time ago), you would see that for instance when nutmeg was selling two uchis recently with a similar price tag like yours has, he provided a really very thorough description how they perform and a lot of photos and videos...And the same applies to most of the sellers here...I can remember still pretty well how much time and effort it cost me to pick the best, most illustrative pictures and videos of the tons I had, create galleries, youtube links etc., when I was preparing a BST thread here some time ago on a bunch of JNATS...And that although not a single one was that expensive like your stone is...Simply - if you want to convince somebody that a stone is worth more than 1k USD, you need to present damn good arguments for that! And those might be just those above mentioned detailed pictures, videos...Especially in case of an uchigumori, which are basically polishing stones, hardly used by anybody for sharpening...I am following BST long enough to be able to state that there is a clear direct proportion between the amount and quality of information provided about the particular stone and the success of its sale:)...

Anyway, that's shouldn't have been a criticism at all, just maybe an advice what to do better! I really wish you good luck with your sale!

Last edited:
Showing what the stone can do would indeed be a nice addition to help with the sale. I make demos when I sell a jnat even at $120 to give an idea of the polishing potential. Don't go crazy on a 270mm gyuto, a kiridashi will do just fine!

Maybe show us your old projects made with this stone if you're short on time 💁‍♂️

In my experience, people are way less likely to buy from the UK - I’ve had to make some painful reductions on my WTS listings in the past to compensate.

Agree with the others that pictures and videos to show what it can do are essential for a polishing stone too.

Thank you guys for all your comments and advice. Sorry for the delay with the replay. A bit of a hectic period for me. I have followed the advice of the Krakorak and took the stone and a kiridashi for testing. Gave it a spin to remind myself of the how the stone feels and what I could do. After spending a bit of time on it, I have decided to withdraw the stone from sale. It is just so so good to sell for this price. I have initially thought to create a few videos and increase the price to the 1.5k range as the stone in my view/experience is just way too good and can't be compared with the majority of Uchis which have 500-750 price range. Also, the calibre of the stone is hard to come by. It's extremely fast, on a softer side, super super fine and creates a beautiful finish. No toxic or scratchy particles that need addressing and its size is pretty big. As na experiment, I have sharpened an edge with it and did a few strops on a palm of my hand and was surprised to see that it's passing the hanging hair test with easy. So, I will be playing with the stone and my knife edges to see how it feels cutting various food. Would be interesting to see.

So, again, many thanks for all your comments and interest, which made me take another look at the stone and fall in love with it over again.

Back