Ok KKF, Steer Me To My Next 180mm (ish)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting several weeks on a new knife, a 210mm kiritsuke and unfortunately, that deal has gone belly up. So, I'm back in the knife shopping game. Now, I could find that same knife through another vendor but since my options are back open, I'm kicking around something else.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Bunka or gyuto. Yes, I do know they are pretty different designs but I like both and am open to both. Maybe slightly leaning gyuto right now. I like light, nimble, slicey knives.

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

180mm neighborhood.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No. I don't mind carbon or stainless. For carbon, I actually like non-stainless cladding so long as it doesn't rust with a stern look.

No damascus.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Let's say $225USD. "Absolute maximum" always cracks me up cuz if someone suggests a knife like $10 over, everyone is always like, well, yeah, I can do that... :)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

All the usual meal prep stuff. No bones or filleting or such. The usual stuff you'd use one of these type knives for. I'm not too big on specialized knives. Meaning a knife that through general design or build design, really restricts it. I like light, nimble, slicey knives, but I also don't want to have to hold my breath very time I use it. I don't Faberge but I also don't want a Clydesdale.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Nay. Feeding the addiction.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Primarily push and guillotine-type.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Hmmm... Not sure improvements is the right word. In knife terms, you could say I'm in my college years and exploring life. But I am slowly narrowing in on my tastes. As I said a couple times, I like light, nimble, and slicey and I like a flatter profile. I lean to shorter knives but do like some height and I know those things can oppose each other. I have 210's so I'm no stranger to those but thinking I might be settling into the shorter length.

I currently have a Tadafusa and Hinokuni 180mm gyutos. I like how they handle but looking for a step up in quality. The Hinokuni, despite being inferior to the Tadafusa in F&F, kicked the Tadafusa off the primary rack and I chalk that up to it's profile and thinness.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I'm a function over form guy but yeah, I'd like a step up in aesthetics.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

I don't mind touching up spines and choils.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Probably covered most of this.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Meh. I sharpen so not a huge deal.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End grain.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

The Ashi Ginga 180mm gyuto is sexy as hell but I can't find it anywhere. The Kobayashi and Ogata bunkas are also pretty sexy. I don't want an edge that flexes but again, I like light thin.

So, what we got KKF?

Carbon has the 180 western stainless Ginga (Standard hardness), if you're interested in compromising a bit perhaps on the handle:

Ashi Ginga Stainless Western Gyuto 180mm

I'd also keep an eye out for Takamura; these are really nice in 180. Not sure I'd even care too much which steel. Most you'll find at the minute, though, are VG-10.

its a great seller! I wouldn't hesitate buying from him.

i not much of a 180 user but Makoto does have a nice bunka in this size (Makoto sg2 sakura line).

yu kurosaki and s.tanaka also seems to be popular in this length.

Under $300 is the pond I’ve mostly been splashing around in. I definitely love my Kurosaki AS and Yoshikane SKD. There’s also the Miura Itadaki Y Tanaka if you want to try carbon + iron clad, or keep an eye on homebutcher for more Myojins. Y Kato / Masakage and Makoto were also on my radar for 180 bunka/gyuto in this price range before I snagged the 180 Myojin. I lean towards lighter weight laserish knives, so most of those (except for the Miura Itadaki and I haven’t tried the Myojin yet) match that description.

And @ModRQC has been waxing poetic on the reviews forum about his various S Tanakas.

Got mine S. Tanaka VG-10 180mm for less than 200$ CAD. At that price I can’t see nothing much standing in its way. If heel height is no requisite however, many 180mm still stand can stand up to it. Especially with a higher budget.

Alot of people swear by the kogetsu monosteel w1, still available at strata!

They have a 180 santoku and 165 gyuto

They had a bunch available on Tosho recently also. Guess they’re all sold by now. Beware if unaware but these are heavily asymmetrical. Seemed like a solid offer and a fun knife. Not exactly cheap though, if not expensive. Worth a browse of the competition for there’s a lot at that price point. S. Tanaka being an exemple, but between 250-350$ CAD there’s a long lineup of shorter blades just begging to claim that money.

Munetoshi petty from JNS is a pretty awesome little mini gyuto somewhere in the 170mm range. Like other Munetoshi offerings, it comes on the unfinished side. If you put in a little bit of work, it really shines.

That Hinoura looks pretty wicked. My go-to short ones are Munetoshi and Mazaki, both sold as petty but either perfectly serviceable as a gyuto, the Mazaki being slightly longer and the Munetoshi being slightly taller.

if you want thin and light, how about the S Tanaka (in any steel, really) or Takamura?

That Hinoura looks pretty wicked. My go-to short ones are Munetoshi and Mazaki, both sold as petty but either perfectly serviceable as a gyuto, the Mazaki being slightly longer and the Munetoshi being slightly taller.

if you want thin and light, how about the S Tanaka (in any steel, really) or Takamura?
I love both of these as well. Mazaki probably leaning more thrust cut, but Munetoshi has a great cutting feel.

Takamura in wa handle and not santoku are hard to come by. Tanaka's get expensive quick and the mroe approachable ones are also hard to come by. I really like them though.

Since you're into bunka as well, this Kochi at JKI is going to be an excellent performer

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...nless-clad-carbon-kiritsuke-shaped-wa-santoku

Thank you and I have no doubt. I looked at that but I'm afraid it's too curved for my style. I lean to flatter profiles, especially in bunka. I have a bunka with a more curved edge and we don't get along as well as I do with flatter ones. I'm biased to push cuts and the curve sometimes has me leaving accordioned pieces behind.

Reactions: ian

Latest posts

Back