Oli and the Nats...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So @cotedupy's stone sale thread got me to thinking... Serious question (pondering), how many other people on the planet have his level of knowledge of and experience with such a breadth of natural sharpening stones?

Probably some really well versed razor guys out there and for sure there are those who can tell you the most minute details of JNats, but across the entire spectrum, Oli has to be in a really small crowd.

And great resource for us.

:)

Last edited:
Keith has had a good lot of stones pass over his bench, but I think Oli might have him beat when it comes to obscure UK/European stones.
Yeah, I don't think Keith has tried going through thick brush to find an old quarry in the outskirts of.... England? Wales? Wherever he was...

Haha! Oh dear... umm... thanks all! Certainly lovely to hear when people enjoy some of my random thoughts / ventures / research. :). Though let’s point out some things, a couple of which were noted already:

- Check out some of the razor forums, there are people who know staggering amounts about all this. Including some who are occasional contributors here - @Rideon66 springs immediately to mind for instance.

- I can probably give you a better idea than razor folk about how most of those stones work for knives. Unfortunately more often that not, that idea is: ‘Not very well.’ So perhaps isn't the most useful skill in the world.

- I know sod all about Japanese stones. Anyone who owns a jnat likely knows at least as much about them as I do.

- I'm not trying to be overly modest by saying those things. I do obviously know and have done an awful lot research about some types of things; Washitas, Turkish/Cretan, and UK stones in particular. I've certainly been lucky to live in a couple of places where they're reasonably common to find.

Anyhow, thank you HHC and everyone else for the kind words. I shall keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Also, he writes gud. You have to hand it to the Brits … they took the English language and really made it their own!
"If nothing else, a good public school education prepares you for rubbing steel on things, and hanging around junk stores looking for bits of rock."

-Winston Churchill, probably.

"If nothing else, a good public school education prepares you for rubbing steel on things, and hanging around junk stores looking for bits of rock."

-Winston Churchill, probably.

Ha, excellent!

Also, he writes gud. You have to hand it to the Brits … they took the English language and really made it their own!

Ah cheers. I used to work in journalism and various other bits of writing, so that's nice to hear. And might I say... back at you! Your posts are always very well and entertainingly written too.

Back