Only 4 stitches...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My TAKAMURA R2 GYUTOU slipped out of my right hand and cut my left index finger before I could react. It wouldn't stop bleeding, so I went to the local Urgent Care center. When the Dr looked at it, it was still bleeding. He said it must have been a very sharp knife. I said thank you. ;)

Last time I cut myself in the kitchen was with a serrated bread knife. Sliced a piece from the side my thumb right off :eek:

Way back when when I was young pup teaching a bus boy how to cut limes for the bar I went straight through the tip of my ring finger....still have no feeling on the tip of that finger.

Cut my finger with my shig gyuto, looked at it, the wound was very flat, took a photo before it started to bleed. Reminds me how sharp my knife is everytime I see it. Good job shig!

Cut myself with a microtome blade used to cut 5 micron thick tissue samples, had the pause where I thought everything was fine, then had my latex glove turn red. I held on hand up above my head the entire time at the ER like I had a perptual question.

does the feeling ever come back after you cut off a fingertip? (asking for a friend)

My boss' first job in the kitchen was as a meat cutter about 35 years ago. He lost the last knuckle of his right index finger to a band saw shortly thereafter. He says that it hurt so bad he couldn't sleep for three days. He still gets phantom sensations many years later.

A friend of mine sliced a 5 mm disc off the tip of his index finger with a mandoline. Almost the entire tip was gone to a depth of probably around 2 mm at the deepest point. It took a long time to heal completely, but he reports having full sensation in his index finger again.

Knocked a cheap 5" or so long serrated cheese knife with a very pointy tip off the kitchen countertop while making a midnight snack. Bare foot. THUNK!

Looked down and it had done a perfect lawn dart into top of the first joint of right big toe. Stuck into the BONE. I pulled it out, a deep but narrow puncture wound.

Didn't even hurt all that much, took about 10 minutes to control the bleeding and get it clean & bandaged. It healed OK, I didn't bother going to a doctor.

About 2 weeks later, walking upstairs (barefoot again) on a carpeted stairway, I kept tripping because that toe was dragging.

I had cut the extensor tendon on top of toe, when you're wearing shoes you don't notice, but the big toe automatically lifts up a bit with each step forward to prevent stubbing. Mine didn't any more.

A short surgery later and spent 6 weeks wearing a big immobilizer boot.

Last edited:
For whatever reason I never cut myself when using the knife...

I did however cut myself....

.... multiple times when cleaning knife

.... when opening knife package

.... on a foil box (that serrated rip off thingy, nasty cut)

.... on a broken glass container when showing my wife with the finger that the broken part could be dangerous (cut right in at about 6 cm on index finger without noticing until blood seeped out)

.... on paper. A lot. I’m a sucker for paper cuts unfortunately

Cut my finger with my shig gyuto, looked at it, the wound was very flat, took a photo before it started to bleed. Reminds me how sharp my knife is everytime I see it. Good job shig!

You know a knife is sharp when you cut yourself and see no blood for a few seconds and then it starts to pour out!

You know a knife is sharp when the food starts parting about 3 mm before the blade actually touches it.

I was puzzled by this for a long time, but then figured it out. The food goes "look at this blade coming at me, I had better get out of the way before it hits me!"

Michi ;)

You know a knife is sharp when you cut yourself and see no blood for a few seconds and then it starts to pour out!

I have seen this a few too many times in my life, a symptom of "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" picking up the sharpest knife in the drawer.

---------

Impalements, anyone?

The owner of a restaurant I cooked at screwed a magnetic knife rack to the kitchen wall about chest height IN A TRAFFIC AREA, between prep table and dishwashing station.

A little after the rack was installed, T---a, a 15 year old highschool girl, our newest, youngest crew member was sweeping the kitchen floor when the inevitable happened.

She knocked the owner's 9" Henckel 5 star chef knife off that magnetic rack, achieving a perfect "center mass" hit to the top of her foot. Sharp knife. Heavy too, as German knives tend to be.

T---a was wearing a pair of cheap canvas tennis shoes with flat, thin rubber soles, standing on a heavy rubber anti slip mat. Knife went through top of shoe with blade parallel to the bones in the arch of her foot, sliding between bones. Penetrated completely through her foot and sole of shoe, stopped with tip stuck into the mat.

There was a lag before the crew realized her foot was nailed to the mat with that big a*s knife. Discussion followed on what to DO- Take her to the emergency room with the knife in her foot or pull it out?

-------

T---a got the hell out of that restaurant, went on to college, graduated from veterinary school. The restaurant closed for the last time about a year back. Restaurant owner (a legendary character) retired to the Jersey shore.

"And I only am escaped alone to tell thee"

Last edited:
I once managed to stab myself while doing a djembe (African drum) repair. I was cutting off old rope from the side of the drum, using my Leatherman Charge Ti 3" drop-tip blade. Because the rope sits on the drum under high tension, it's not possible to insert the knife between the rope and the side of the drum. The tip just partially fits under the rope.

As I was pulling back and out from under the rope with the knife, it slipped off and the momentum carried the knife towards my left forearm, with which I was holding the drum. The tip went in very cleanly at a ninety degree angle to a depth of about a centimeter.

Surprisingly, there was almost no pain at all. I could feel it, but it didn't really "hurt". I managed to miss all tendons, nerves, bones, and blood vessels. All it took was two pieces of medical tape to hold the edges of the wound together, and it had basically healed a week later.

I have since changed my technique for cutting tensioned rope off drums :)

Back