Osaka Drinking Chronicles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuesday night.

ひらやま Hirayama
Great staff. Decent prices.
About 3-4 drinks
1200-3000 per person
Known for yakisoba. (Had it yesterday, so no picture today)
Also tonpeyaki is great.
2 beers. 3 highballs.

UxpAiL6.jpg

INjlJRY.jpg

6JCv81c.jpg

osrpGrv.jpg

Wednesday morning hangover 6/10
Try not mix nihonshu (sake) ladies and gentlemen.

And some forgotten uploads from last night
Ybeg6Xf.jpg

YihaVT0.jpg

9EvH9j5.jpg

y6QW4Th.jpg

YdmgRW7.jpg

And if you hadn’t notice I spend a lot of my time in standing bars. Sitting slows you down and you can’t tell when you’ve had one too many. And they tend to be cheaper for the quality you get.

Last edited:
@osakajoe - if you want to experience the worst hangover, catch a flight down to Okinawa and get some drinks made with shima (that’s what we call our awamori).

超水っぽいでも強い。 Then mix with some nihonshu and highballs. You’ll actually want to die! :D

@osakajoe - if you want to experience the worst hangover, catch a flight down to Okinawa and get some drinks made with shima (that’s what we call our awamori).

超水っぽいでも強い。 Then mix with some nihonshu and highballs. You’ll actually want to die! :D

Oh yeah I remember my Okinawa hangover. I have a friend who lives in Chatan. I couldn’t even eat my entire lunch the next day.

Just takes your hangover to a higher level the deeper you get into the bottle after drinking beers and highballs before. Here’s my scale
1-3 drinks before nihonshu = no problem to mix
4-7 = don’t go too over board on nihonshu, slight hangover
8+ = level of hangover increases exponentially depending how far you go

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Joe. First year went to Japan for Ice carving competition had a fare well dinner at a hot springs. It was comfortable inside and snowing outside big picture windows. Feb. in Hokkaido. Great food and large bottles of Kirin beer. Also Saki cups that got refilled lose track. Singing Karaoke they had English songs I sang couple Beatles songs. Flying back to Hawaii next day no fun had a mean hangover.

Next year left early to see Kyoto 9 days in traditional Ryokan ate Japanese breakfast and would tour during the day. It was the first time I saw beer in vending machines. Winter time snowing temples were almost vacant it was magical. After flew up to Hokkaido for Ice carving at the farewell dinner I just had a couple beers I had learned my lesson from year before.:rolleyes:

Wow was pretty gone in that last post. Don’t remember posting that but do love that beer.

Anyways, Had a ハモ (daggerer tooth sea eel??) course last night. Had some beers, champagne, Shochu, high balls and nihonshu. Local joint near Fukai station in Sakai, so not easy to get to and out of the way. Hamo in season now but they also do an amazing blow fish course here.

yYZuCVY.jpg

RVFEvb8.jpg

Glnnxfa.jpg

1IzhyBu.jpg

qdMfzUb.jpg

adsT8my.jpg

Head has the softest meat lol
AJP1nfb.jpg

Looks like your drinking sessions often involve some great food as well! Seems like a lot of fun!
I wouldn’t mind a bite of that head (^ ^).

Osaka is the place to eat and drink, so finding a spot with good food and drinks is culture. A shop wouldn’t last long because competition is fierce with all the small shops throughout the city. If you can’t keep your base coming and keep or improve your quality you lose.

I’ve stopped going to many places that have switched chefs, changed portions sized and increased prices, and completely ruined everything.

Last edited:
If you’re in Osaka and staying near higobashi station (or even in Umeda), like at the Regha Royal Hotel, I recommend a night at these places.

Baccauin
An Italian Japanese fusion restaurant. I have taken many tourists and local here and everyone has loved the food. Even had some chefs say that some of the Italian food tasted better than many of the places they tried in Italy. I can’t confirm this as I haven’t been to Italy yet, but I do enjoy the food. The kiwi chi-hais go down lime flavored water.
5OGnLEL.jpg

IbCdrWW.jpg

dZbd20s.jpg

Just down the street are some standing bars but only hit the one I like. Stand New Sankaku (スタンド ニュー サンカク)
MHxz8Xz.jpg

1jvcJlo.jpg

U33Q1IP.jpg

Only had one type of nihonshu but was very drinkable. Bumped into some old friends and made new ones and vaguely remember walking home. Good times.

Italian and French Restaurants in Japan have a Japanese twist:)

Hokkaido in winter ate best bowls of noodles I had ever had experienced. They fueled us carving 20 - 300#blocks of ice, 48 hours- each team two persons. That and the coffee tent.:confused:

Been awhile since I posted, I go to a lot of the same bars so no need to repost.

Had a free day the other day so did some day drinking.

If you’re in Umeda during the day...
Standing sushi bar for in Osaka grand building B1 next to Hankyu department store.
Kaki & Wine Tachigui Sushimaru
MWnq6t4.jpg

Good prices and portions, not Super class sushi but pretty good. Also one of the few places I know that uses the small crunchy ice for their drinks, which I like since I’m habitual ice eater.

JR station in Umeda has a gourmet food court in B2. Plenty of places to eat and drink but just for drinking I got to Craft Beer Market
bPhlDoK.jpg

Plenty beers on tap and pints are 780 (I think).

If you’re in the mood for a burger, Two stations south on the yotsubashi line, Honmachi station.
Yes Burger
Mpo53Bn.jpg

mc3GMZe.jpg

Cuts and trims the meat and then makes his own patties, and fries from scratch. Also three taps of craft beer at 1000 per pint.

Osakajoe, what are those red, blue and yellow tags in your first picture of your newest post in umeda?

Osakajoe, what are those red, blue and yellow tags in your first picture of your newest post in umeda?

This is a standing sushi bar. You order by placing those tags in your basket. They all have chips in them, so when your done they just throw them in a checkout basket to calculate your check.

From top:
White = ¥100 items, I never order.
Red = ¥200 items, like salmon, maguro, tai
Blue = ¥300 items like fatty salmon, Ikura
Gold = ¥400 items like fatty maguro, unagi
Bottom yellow = drinks, various prices

Only thing i order for 100 yen is the first beer. The otsukare (job finished/good work) beer, first small beer, is ¥100.

Last edited:
On my way home from Sakai I stopped in Tengachyaya where I transfer trains and a place I’ve been drinking for years.

Just outside the station across the road (not the sports/supermarket side) is a corner of standing bars. I go here often for the sashimi and orange pulp chi-hais
oSa2Udz.jpg

Side note: day drinking here from afternoon to about 3pm (happy hour), ¥100 highballs

Great to see all the drinking behind the drunk-posts ;)

In all seriousness, the photography in this thread is very compelling,
conveying a sense of being there...better than many travel threads

Cheers

Will try and keep it going with new places, but I do go to many of the same bars. I will also try not upload photos of places I’ve already been unless there is something cool on the menu.

All pictures are done with my iPhone on portrait mode and making sure I lock the focus on the subject

Definitely a very fun thread!

Back