Outdoor Cookware - Especially For Charcoal Grills But Not Limited?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know cast iron is a mainstay for fire and coals and I have that covered, but I'm thinking about a couple carbons pans for setting on the grate. I want the lighter aspect for tossing and such. My foray into carbon on my electric stove left me disenchanted but not because of the pans, I just didn't like the way they performed on electric.

Thinking maybe to start out with a wok for versatility but not sure on that. Could be used for mains to sides. My grills are small.

Also wondering about stoneware pots and such.

Any experiences, brands, etc. to share?

Iwatani portable butane burners are the way. Even when I have a live fire going, I use a gas burner for pots and pans. And donabes. I do almost all my searing outdoors in carbon steel over an Iwatani 35fw.

If your grills are small, putting cookware on it will make them even smaller. I have a Weber genesis, which is reasonably large, and once a cast iron pan goes on it I develop cooking claustrophobia. But having a burner alongside the grill is the best of all worlds. Better heat management of the pan, more total cooking space, and the option to use any cookware.

As far as burners go, get the Iwatani 35FW. They're the highest output and have better wind protection than their other models, and they work reasonably well for wokking (just don't overload it). And they make a bunch of nice looking stove frames for them that turn them from a very nice portable burner into substantial and handsome cooking station.

For bouncy pans, I use Dartos. Not all carbon steel pans are less weighty than cast iron, and the Dartos are pretty thicc bois, as the youth these days say. At least, I think they say that. Or they said that sometime within the past five years. Anyway, Dartos are nice over a fire or grill, but that's true of most carbon steel pans. But when working with a small grill, I think their paellas might be nice to have. That way the handles aren't taking up grill space or fighting the lid of the grill. But for putting a pan directly on coals, the classic saucepan handle sure is nice.

It may also be a good idea to get a heat resistant handle cover. I have a couple leather ones from Hide and Drink that I got on amazon, and they fit the Darto handles perfectly.

As far as burners go, get the Iwatani 35FW. They're the highest output and have better wind protection than their other models, and they work reasonably well for wokking (just don't overload it). And they make a bunch of nice looking stove frames for them that turn them from a very nice portable burner into substantial and handsome cooking station.

For bouncy pans, I use Dartos. Not all carbon steel pans are less weighty than cast iron, and the Dartos are pretty thicc bois, as the youth these days say. At least, I think they say that. Or they said that sometime within the past five years. Anyway, Dartos are nice over a fire or grill, but that's true of most carbon steel pans. But when working with a small grill, I think their paellas might be nice to have. That way the handles aren't taking up grill space or fighting the lid of the grill. But for putting a pan directly on coals, the classic saucepan handle sure is nice.

It may also be a good idea to get a heat resistant handle cover. I have a couple leather ones from Hide and Drink that I got on amazon, and they fit the Darto handles perfectly.

Good info. Thanks.

@daveb and @btbyrd, a couple questions...

- Do you buy the "safety" butane cans that I've seen?
- Do you stress the stove being in the sun while cooking (built up heat around the can)?
- Do you stress can disposal?

Thanks in advance.

I know cast iron is a mainstay for fire and coals and I have that covered, but I'm thinking about a couple carbons pans for setting on the grate. I want the lighter aspect for tossing and such. My foray into carbon on my electric stove left me disenchanted but not because of the pans, I just didn't like the way they performed on electric.

Thinking maybe to start out with a wok for versatility but not sure on that. Could be used for mains to sides. My grills are small.

Also wondering about stoneware pots and such.

Any experiences, brands, etc. to share?
My thinking is carbon steel has better thermal properties than cast iron so if you like cast iron you should like carbon steel better. Thickness may come into play here. Maybe you are using too thin of carbon steel when comparing it to cast iron.

I use both carbon steel and cast iron on my gas grill. I don't use charcoal as I have a gas grill and a large smoker which I use post oak in. I feel like this covers my bases.

Back