Paper Towel Challenge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@NickMinton How’re you liking those new JNS coarse stones?
I really like them. They don’t load up or dish super fast. I think both the 220 and 400 work faster than the previous JNS 300 and not as muddy

I also have the 800 and think it does a really nice finish for polishing considering its grit rating

My newest to me knife. It's a Keen Kutter pruner, it was rusted up pretty bad but now is snapping open and closed pretty well.
I used a treadle grinder, soft to translucent progression. It took about three sawing motions to get that far in the paper towel.
Don't judge me too hard.

My newest to me knife. It's a Keen Kutter pruner, it was rusted up pretty bad but now is snapping open and closed pretty well.
I used a treadle grinder, soft to translucent progression. It took about three sawing motions to get that far in the paper towel.
Don't judge me too hard.

I’ve done a few similar knives before, and I’m ecstatic if I can get them to go even a little bit through any kind of paper at all. Stupidly difficult and annoying things to sharpen!

(I mean I’m sure there’s some clever ‘knack’ to it. I just don’t have it. Not even close to having it).

I’ve done a few similar knives before, and I’m ecstatic if I can get them to go even a little bit through any kind of paper at all. Stupidly difficult and annoying things to sharpen!

(I mean I’m sure there’s some clever ‘knack’ to it. I just don’t have it. Not even close to having it).
I think maybe one of those round scythe stones might work pretty well. Been trying to find one on the cheap.

I think maybe one of those round scythe stones might work pretty well. Been trying to find one on the cheap.
Baryonyx have a good variety. I like the mutt.

Naniwa Gouken:
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/products/naniwa-gouken-curved-water-stone
1716778075660.jpeg

Yeh... I'm thinking there really is a 'technique' to dropping through paper towel as there is with s-cuts and whatnot. I've just now consecutively produced hair whittling edges with stones from 2k to 6k and non-abrasive strops, all up there with the best I've ever done, and *still* can't drop through the paper towel, lmao. Will investigate and report back with my findings.

Yeh... I'm thinking there really is a 'technique' to dropping through paper towel as there is with s-cuts and whatnot. I've just now consecutively produced hair whittling edges with stones from 2k to 6k and non-abrasive strops, all up there with the best I've ever done, and *still* can't drop through the paper towel, lmao. Will investigate and report back with my findings.
Right there with you guy.

Well, it’s not a whole sheet yet, but it’s honest work!

I had a big old sharpening session today to do a myriad of tasks - fix some edge profiles, add some micro bevels, do a full sharpening progression on a couple of knives in rotation etc…

I brought out my big crate of stones, and ended up using my Washita for everything 🥲

I just wish they came a bit wider as standard.

Well, it’s not a whole sheet yet, but it’s honest work!

View attachment 325708

I had a big old sharpening session today to do a myriad of tasks - fix some edge profiles, add some micro bevels, do a full sharpening progression on a couple of knives in rotation etc…

I brought out my big crate of stones, and ended up using my Washita for everything 🥲

I just wish they came a bit wider as standard.

A vintage washita in 8x3 is on my Holy Grail list. I haven’t even seen the existence of one yet but I still have hope.

Apart from the obvious things (thinness, how good your edge is, finishing stone), there are a couple of factors to do with how you try to cut it that influence how easy it is:

1.) You need to make the cut close to where you're holding it. If you try to cut 3 or 4 inches away from where you're holding it - it's gonna be much more difficult. This is a normal force thing; the paper towel is effectively 'firmer' and provides more resistance near where you're holding it, which makes it easier. The same reason that firm under-ripe tomatoes are easier to cut than soft over-ripe ones.

2.) If you have the tip of your knife pointing up almost at the ceiling it's much easier than if the angle is lower. And if you try to do a completely perpendicular, straight-down, push drop - it's pretty much impossible. This is a coefficient of friction thing; a high angle mimics a sawing motion, even though the knife itself is moving straight down. You don't get this phenomenon with food really, because the board would get in the way of the heel of your knife if you tried pointing the tip at the ceiling. But it's effectively the same reason that pull cutting a tomato is easier than chopping one straight down.

---

Both quite obvious things to say, but those are basically the only two 'tricks' to make it easier.

Last edited:
A vintage washita in 8x3 is on my Holy Grail list. I haven’t even seen the existence of one yet but I still have hope.

I remember you mentioning this a while back, and since then I think someone on B&B has told me that they have actually seen or owned one. Probably either; Ian, Keith or David.

You ever tried looking through the various Russian knife/gun/tool forums? They're massive Washita collectors, the thread run to hundreds and hundreds of pages.

Apart from the obvious things (thinness, how good your edge is, finishing stone), there are a couple of factors to do with how you try to cut it that influence how easy it is:

1.) You need to make the cut close to where you're holding it. If you try to cut 3 or 4 inches away from where you're holding it - it's gonna be much more difficult. This is a normal force thing; the paper towel is effectively 'firmer' and provides more resistance near where you're holding it, which makes it easier. The same reason that firm under-ripe tomatoes are easier to cut than soft over-ripe ones.

2.) If you have the tip of your knife pointing up almost at the ceiling it's much easier than if the angle is lower. If you try to do a completely perpendicular, straight-down, push drop - it's pretty much impossible. This is a coefficient of friction thing; a high angle mimics a sawing motion, even though the knife itself is moving straight down. You don't get this phenomenon with food really, because the board would get in the way of the heel of your knife if you tried pointing the tip at the ceiling. But it's effectively the same reason that push or pull cutting a tomato is easier than chopping one straight down.

---

Both quite obvious things to say, but those are basically the only two 'tricks' to make it easier.
Gonna try this 😤

I remember you mentioning this a while back, and since then I think someone on B&B has told me that they have actually seen or owned one. Probably either; Ian, Keith or David.

You ever tried looking through the various Russian knife/gun/tool forums? They're massive Washita collectors, the thread run to hundreds and hundreds of pages.

I believe that was Gamma that said he seen or had some in the past.
I’m not familiar with any Russian gun/knife/tool forums….. I’m assuming these are guns/knives/tools from Russia and not Russians posting about guns/knives/tools?

Btw, this ABC oilstone appears to be some kind of novaculite. It has a bit of translucency. I can’t figure out if it is just a natural cut to size or if it might be more like a synthetic with novaculite fused together.
It is listed as a 3000 grit and delivers about a 3000 grit. Real nice knife finishing stone. These are generally pretty cheap when they pop up on the Japan Yahoo Auctions.
I’m wondering if other old ABC oil stones might be closer to a vintage washita.

Attachments

• IMG_8586.jpeg
    IMG_8586.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8587.jpeg
    IMG_8587.jpeg
    890.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8588.jpeg
    IMG_8588.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8589.jpeg
    IMG_8589.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

2.) If you have the tip of your knife pointing up almost at the ceiling it's much easier than if the angle is lower. And if you try to do a completely perpendicular, straight-down, push drop - it's pretty much impossible. This is a coefficient of friction thing; a high angle mimics a sawing motion, even though the knife itself is moving straight down. You don't get this phenomenon with food really, because the board would get in the way of the heel of your knife if you tried pointing the tip at the ceiling. But it's effectively the same reason that pull cutting a tomato is easier than chopping one straight down.

---

Can confirm these tips help. Go look at my videos from earlier postings and I’m doing both of these steps

I believe that was Gamma that said he seen or had some in the past.
I’m not familiar with any Russian gun/knife/tool forums….. I’m assuming these are guns/knives/tools from Russia and not Russians posting about guns/knives/tools?

Btw, this ABC oilstone appears to be some kind of novaculite. It has a bit of translucency. I can’t figure out if it is just a natural cut to size or if it might be more like a synthetic with novaculite fused together.
It is listed as a 3000 grit and delivers about a 3000 grit. Real nice knife finishing stone. These are generally pretty cheap when they pop up on the Japan Yahoo Auctions.
I’m wondering if other old ABC oil stones might be closer to a vintage washita.

Ah you picked up one of those 'White Queen' stones. Frustratingly difficult to find any info on aren't they. Interesting to hear what they're like. Could possibly even be Japanese novaculite...(?)

Nah - I was actually meaning Russian language forums, so you have to read 'em on google translate (assuming you don't speak Russian). Here's a couple of links that should keep you occupied for a while. Welcome to the world of 'Vashitas'!

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/224/1588784.html

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/224/680423.html

Haven’t done this for a while and I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone else’s videos. Had some time to sharpen so that’s always a happy night for me.

Kato ku
Jns 800 diamond-burr
Preyda 3k- remove burr refine run through cork
Gesshin 6k- refine further
Numata- single alternating passes light slurry
Balsa strop

Isasmedjan Nakiri
Naniwa 400 diamond- burr
King neo 800- remove burr refine-cork edge
Gesshin 4k- refine further
Aizu- used Tomo Nagura lots of slurry
Leather strop