Paper Towel Challenge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you're cheating by being better than us. BOOOOOOOOO

WAIT!!! I've finally figured it out, and here is my confession...

I have 'double-jointed' fingers:

IMG_5051.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5061.jpeg

Without this peculiar genetic abnormality I fear there is simply no hope of making a paper towel video as wankily impressive as mine are. It is the key to all of my success!

Everybody else can just give up now.

Last edited:

View attachment 319040

View attachment 319038

View attachment 319042

Without this peculiar genetic abnormality I fear there is simply no hope of making a paper towel video as wankily impressive as mine are. It is the key to all of my success!

I was watching one of yours and wondered. Do you have opposite scratch patterns on your edges? One side the teeth point forward and the other side teeth point back?
It looked like your finishing passes that's what you did

Double jointed finger gang rise up. A curse for many things

I was watching one of yours and wondered. Do you have opposite scratch patterns on your edges? One side the teeth point forward and the other side teeth point back?
It looked like your finishing passes that's what you did
Has anyone here tried that? Does it do anything?

Anyone pull this off with a Crystolon?
I just tried with a medium on a Chicago Cutlery. I think the stone is just to muddy to get a clean apex. I think the stones in my 313 are just soft for some reason. Maybe I will try on another sic stone....

I just tried with a medium on a Chicago Cutlery. I think the stone is just to muddy to get a clean apex. I think the stones in my 313 are just soft for some reason. Maybe I will try on another sic stone....

I can't get a clean cut off of the crystolon coarse. Comes out ragged. Haven't tried the medium crystolon. I can get a pretty clean cut off of a coarse India.

So, I wanted to try thinning a knife. Took this ikea 365 and experimented with it. It's interesting to see how fingerplacement determines where the bulk of material is being removed.

It's far from perfect. But it was a valuable experiment. It's fun to see how much of a difference the thinness behind the edge matters in this test.

Sharpened on the naniwa pro 800 and stropped on a kitchen towel.

Paper towel challenge_thinned ikea.png

So, I wanted to try thinning a knife. Took this ikea 365 and experimented with it. It's interesting to see how fingerplacement determines where the bulk of material is being removed.

It's far from perfect. But it was a valuable experiment. It's fun to see how much of a difference the thinness behind the edge matters in this test.

Sharpened on the naniwa pro 800 and stropped on a kitchen towel.

View attachment 320581

Long, long ago I've thinned my Global G2 with the same Chosera 800. I'm happy to have now both coarser stones and easier steel types. But as a first thinning it's no bad experience at all.

Long, long ago I've thinned my Global G2 with the same Chosera 800. I'm happy to have now both coarser stones and easier steel types. But as a first thinning it's no bad experience at all.
I thinned the knife on the JNS 300, but the edge is sharpened on the Chosera 800.

It kinda fun. Most of it was just trying things out. What happens when I change the fingerplacement/pressure/...

I can't get a clean cut off of the crystolon coarse. Comes out ragged. Haven't tried the medium crystolon. I can get a pretty clean cut off of a coarse India.

I’ve not ever tried personally. But that’d certainly be in line with my expectations.

And the reason Crystolon would be more difficult than an India isn’t because of the abrasive type or particle size. It’s simply because of the relative hardness, which has a massive impact on finish level. I’m pretty certain I would get a cleaner paper towel cut off a coarse India than a fine Crystolon.

Very nice work :). Thinness is everything!

Here’s a knife belonging to a friend of a friend that I took some chips out of, and sharpened this evening. All on a (relatively coarse) Washita in the space of a few minutes.

I didn’t thin it myself, but look at the factory geometry even after the repair. If a knife is this thin bte - you’ll drop paper towel quite easily. You may also chip your knife quite easily. Swings n roundabouts.

IMG_5291.jpeg

Here’s a knife belonging to a friend of a friend that I took some chips out of, and sharpened this evening. All on a (relatively coarse) Washita in the space of a few minutes.

I didn’t thin it myself, but look at the factory geometry even after the repair. If a knife is this thin bte - you’ll drop paper towel quite easily. You may also chip your knife quite easily. Swings n roundabouts.

View attachment 320722

View attachment 320723
I have a knife that's really thin BTE. Do I just need more practice? I just can't seem to get it
IMG_20240510_195604825.jpg

My small contribution to internet **** waving. Knife is on loan from a gentleman. It'll take an edge!

One swipe on a Spyderco medium to get past fatigued steel. Then koma slurry on my favorite aizu, finish on clean water. No strop. Goes to show the doubters like @ethompson that Jnats can actually be good for western knives. 😁

Last edited:
Even a thin knife can perform poorly if it doesn't have a good edge. IIRC your main problem was recognising a burr.
I thought it was removing the burr and I've worked on that a lot and I'm much more confident I remove it now. I can push cut paper, ALMOST push cut receipt paper, have been able to s couple times. The edge lasts after a couple slices on the cutting board and if the paper towel is pulled taut I slice right through it no problem. I only have a smooth leather strop from Bob Kramer that I don't think does anything I don't really use that. Do I need to strop to drop a paper towel like that? I figure it's either that or I just need more practice

Hard to see how a leather strop can help recognising a burr, unless you only strop one side, and then feel the other one, where you may abrade it. But can do that on the palm of your hand. No need for Mr. Kramer's strop.

Hard to see how a leather strop can help recognising a burr, unless you only strop one side, and then feel the other one, where you may abrade it. But can do that on the palm of your hand. No need for Mr. Kramer's strop.
Yeah I haven't noticed it really does anything. On my last stone I will raise my angle to 45dps for 1 pass each side, light edge leading. Then back to my sharpening angle, leading passes only and I'll cross the grit pattern to reduce the risk of forming a burr although I know there's always a micro burr. Final passes I raise 3-5 degrees for a micro bevel. I get great edges. Just not sure why I can still only cut an inch or 2 of paper towel unless it's pulled taut

Yeah I haven't noticed it really does anything. On my last stone I will raise my angle to 45dps for 1 pass each side, light edge leading. Then back to my sharpening angle, leading passes only and I'll cross the grit pattern to reduce the risk of forming a burr although I know there's always a micro burr. Final passes I raise 3-5 degrees for a micro bevel. I get great edges. Just not sure why I can still only cut an inch or 2 of paper towel unless it's pulled taut
Sounds like potentially a cutting technique issue. If there is a burr it will snag on the paper towel while it is taut as well. If you use the entire edge as you slide across the towel it should snag where there is a burr. The better you get the cleaner the edge will be. If you can’t push cut a paper towel it doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a burr present. The edge maybe could be cleaner or more refined. The absence of a burr does not necessarily mean that the edge can’t be improved. Fabric strops like felt, jeans or even a towel can help remove burrs as well or refine the edge a bit further.

Sounds like potentially a cutting technique issue. If there is a burr it will snag on the paper towel while it is taut as well. If you use the entire edge as you slide across the towel it should snag where there is a burr. The better you get the cleaner the edge will be. If you can’t push cut a paper towel it doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a burr present. The edge maybe could be cleaner or more refined. The absence of a burr does not necessarily mean that the edge can’t be improved. Fabric strops like felt, jeans or even a towel can help remove burrs as well or refine the edge a bit further.
When using denim, can you use just denim or do you need compound for that also?
It's really time to learn deburring at the sharpening angle, and skip that more or less temporary 45° for the sake of deburring.
I use the 45dps just to cut the burr off so I don't have the chance of leaving behind damaged steel from flipping it over and over

Back