Passaround: Kippington Chevron Hook Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just a camera illusion, or has somebody sharpened a recurve into the flat?
Wasn't there when I sent it off 😔
Also, how's the condition of the awesomely-engineered mailing tube?
It was in great condition when it left me. A little scuffing but otherwise a-ok.

20200524_182826.jpg

Ma_sha says, "The first thing I'm going to do is grind down this large shoulder near the edge, so it will cut more like Toyama. Im definetely not going to mess with this feather though, because after all its still a Kippington."

Is it just a camera illusion, or has somebody sharpened a recurve into the flat?
I think its illusion. I only had a moment to do a potato before work, and nothing seemed off. I'll double check.
Tube is in great shape!
Going to do a ratatouille, should give it a workout.
BTW, clean edge from Crocker. I'll likely leave it alone, clean up the surface spots before I send it on.

Hey all, I think it's my turn to send this along, however if it's OK with the group if I keep it until Monday, I can do a big ratatoullie prep video. So far I've only had the chance to do a few potatoes. If I get a couple thumbs up, I'll make some good vids as always. If the next person @VICTOR J CREAZZI prefers it in the mail sooner, I'll do so today.

@Kippington, when I ship this, will it be rust-prone if I clean the patina and add camelia oil? It's a humid summer here. I can either do a Flitz polish and send it along or leave the patina. You know the metallurgy best so I want to defer to you.

@Kippington, when I ship this, will it be rust-prone if I clean the patina and add camelia oil? It's a humid summer here. I can either do a Flitz polish and send it along or leave the patina. You know the metallurgy best so I want to defer to you.
Polish it if you want, otherwise I'm fine with it going as is. Just oil it a bit and it should be fine.

To me its more vulnerable to rust, when you remove the patina. But im no metallurgist.

what these videos don’t really capture and what I wish I had said was just how nice it makes prep overall. It’s definitely not perfect in terms of food release. But it’s really damn good. The overall thought and execution are really there.

I see this as a single bevel Western kitchen prep knife. It seems like a purpose built tool in the same way that the Japanese single bevel knives are purpose built for specific fish tasks and vegetable tasks. I think if I had more time to get to know this knife and learn how to use it better the performance would look even better. Overall I’m just impressed.

Very cool, thanks for the videos and review.

I was highly entertained by how many times you changed grips - hammer/pinch/pointer - you use all three in the first video alone! It's fascinating how different cutting styles definitely affect the release. I don't get the same stickage while cutting potatoes as you did. Maybe it comes down to the amount of moisture in the food? The following is raw potato, a good comparison to your first video:

In my most recent version of this grind I have changed the area you mentioned in your conclusion (left face, towards the heel). In the passaround version it's actually slightly concave, done that way so I could get the area behind the edge even thinner for better separation. If you still have the knife with you, you can place a ruler against the area and see it for yourself. Turns out it probably isn't worth the stickage in that zone, so now I make it slightly convex.

Very cool, thanks for the videos and review.

I was highly entertained by how many times you changed grips - hammer/pinch/pointer - you use all three in the first video alone! It's fascinating how different cutting styles definitely affect the release. I don't get the same stickage while cutting potatoes as you did. Maybe it comes down to the amount of moisture in the food? The following is raw potato, a good comparison to your first video:

In my most recent version of this grind I have changed the area you mentioned in your conclusion (left face, towards the heel). In the passaround version it's actually slightly concave, done that way so I could get the area behind the edge even thinner for better separation. If you still have the knife with you, you can place a ruler against the area and see it for yourself. Turns out it probably isn't worth the stickage in that zone, so now I make it slightly convex.

For sure I think good technique brings out the best. I'm a home cook, so don't prep nearly as much as real cooks. It's a pro tool for real pros. Purpose built, in that practice makes it shine. Crocker used to be a pro cook ( right?) and you can see the great results he got. I can't say enough how impressed I am. Also it doesn't steer. Damn. It makes prep really nice.

The concavity comment makes sense. It's subtle but it's there. The left side stick was most noticeable with soaked potatoes which I naturally didn't film. The ones in my vid are raw. Your potato may vary (YPMV).

Aw man now I'm all self conscious about my grips! I hoped no one would notice...

Last edited:
Back