Passaround: Kippington Chevron Hook Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just filled a missing mail form. I seem to not be having good luck lately with Usps. I’ve got about 4 packages that just say “in transit, arriving late” all with no update since the 25th,

I don’t think it’s time to panic yet but just thought I would keep you guys informed
Thanks.
We'll give it some time. See what happens.

As update to Jules, I was about to reach out to fill that laser void that I have
I'm trying to finish so many custom orders. It's nuts...

Safely arrived, same day as a laser.
6C10C80A-8D03-4DA2-9AEB-DA5A99D48942.jpeg

Here's my thought's.

Knife arrived with a pretty decent edge on it, Kudos on the packaging and i think Kipp should start a side business making cardboard saya's. At 260x53 @250g it's right in my comfort zone. I first only used the knife for a couple dinner preps at home and my initial thoughts on it were meh. Food release works very well but i did notice a little resistance on the left side of the knife when cutting more dense foods.

I touched up the edge on a shapton 2k and threw it in my knife bag. Sharpened up very easily (I think it's Nitro-V ??) Where this knife really started to shine was at work. big prep day and I used the knife for about 5-6 hours. Maybe it was the fresh edge but i didn't experience any of the stickiness i previously did. Edge retention was outstanding and i didn't feel the need to stop or hone the knife all day. My initial thoughts on the photos were that it looked almost gimmicky and that it would be very linear knife, eg. (Veggies potatoes, etc.) I'm not the biggest fan of triple hallow/s-curve grinds but this is something i could definitely get behind. it's most definitely a serious tool and i didn't have any problems handling a multitude of different tasks. I experienced very little wedging and no steering

I have a custom from Jules about 15 months out, and I'll be seriously contemplating ordering one of these. Thanks for letting me participate.

Ah yes, the obligatory hip-hop music blaring in the background. :) Thanks for the review!

It really seems to shine mostly in the pro environment. It's the kind of thing that I loved to have as an option in my kit during my cooking years, it felt strange if I didn't have one available for certain jobs after I got used to it.

It's 52100 high carbon btw. Should've had a patina.

I didn't get to do a write-up yet of my thoughts, but the knife was great. I tested it on green onions, potatoes, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, squash, garlic, onions. As expected, food release was outstanding on those larger products, would excel in a pro kitchen. I think the knife could have used a little bit of thinning, but i was too scared to be the one to do it. I did clean it up on a chosera 3k tho it came a little beat up and didn't touch it up before passing it along, but MC touched up on 2k too.

It struggled to do horizontal swipes on onions even though the taper was amazing. As for the task it was designed to do though, it was amazing. Never had such a good time prepping lots of potatoes or large dicing onions and tomatoes. Kudos and great job Kipp! It did crack a few carrots along the way, but again, a little thin would've gone a long way IMO. Same feelings as MC, its a great knife and lots of work and engineering went into designing it. I would love to have it around in my rotation, but its best used in a high volume kitchen!

I think the knife could have used a little bit of thinning...
I have no idea how thick it is behind the edge at the moment. It was really good when I sent it.

Knives on passarounds tend to get thick behind the edge real fast, about 3 times faster than normal. Everyone wants to sharpen it their own way to test edge retention and stuff like that, and each new person doing it on top of somebody else's sharpening job tends to remove more metal over what would happen if it were sharpened by the same person each time.

It also goes through people of various sharpening skills. Such is the nature of a passaround.

Last edited:
I have no idea how thick it is behind the edge at the moment. It was really good when I sent it.

Knives on passarounds tend to get thick behind the edge real fast, about 3 times faster than normal. Everyone wants to sharpen it their own way to test edge retention and stuff like that, and each new person doing it on top of somebody else's sharpening job tends to remove more metal over what would happen if it were sharpened by the same person each time.

It also goes through people of various sharpening skills. Such is the nature of a passaround.

Yeah I wasn’t saying it was you, but from all the little sessions it had gone through before getting to me! I know how nice and thin behind the edge your knives are!

Times like this I wish I was still in a restaurant kitchen. I only have so much veg at my disposal.
Anyway, heres some video of my first session with it. I forgot to disconnect my headphones so I lost the sound, but I tried to get cute with some music.

Oh man that's so sick! :D
Your cutting technique really brings the best out of this knife, really helps me remember what I designed it for!

The zucchini clip is a really good example of how this knife has the ability to speed up bulk prep. We have to start cutting slow because it's impossible to tell if the balance of the knife will change on the first cut (if food sticks to the side of the knife, it'll go tip heavy), but as soon as we know the balance hasn't shifted, muscle memory kicks in and we can go into a predictable rhythm. In this particular case, slow push-cuts -> faster push-cuts -> chopping. This predictability is important if you gotta prep loads of produce.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Back