Pasta Sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true.

The best pasta I've ever eaten in my entire life was back in 1997, in Rome. I was staying at the Sheraton close to the airport for two weeks. They had spaghetti aglio e olio on the menu. I have never eaten pasta as good as that since, despite numerous other visits to local restaurants (in Rome and many other places in Italy over the years). I think I had that pasta at the hotel five times in two weeks, it was that good.

To boot, they had a bar tender who knew how to make a real Irish Coffee. I've been on a quest for a good Irish Coffee for a little over thirty years. In all that time, I have succeeded only a handful of times. The Sheraton was one of those places. Another great place for Irish coffee is the Buena Vista in San Francisco, close to Fisherman's Wharf. If you happen to be in the area and like Irish Coffee, I highly recommend going there. They know how to do it right.
It’s always the simple things in life that provide a sense of discovery, connection, and memories

I remember this No-name, off beaten path Etruscan wine bar we ran into - 1 wooden table, two chairs, and then he brought out A hunk of cheese, with honey and black pepper and his grand-dad’s favorite red wine from his Personal cellar.
Simple but delicious and I will never forget

I remember this No-name, off beaten path Etruscan wine bar we ran into - 1 wooden table, two chairs, and then he brought out A hunk of cheese, with honey and black pepper and his grand-dad’s favorite red wine from his Personal cellar.
Simple but delicious and I will never forget
I had a similar experience, also in Rome. I was prowling around the areas around the centre of Rome. Still in the old parts, but not in the middle of the touristy areas. There were some interesting-looking alleys that were barely wider than my arm span, so I walked around through some of those. I stumbled across this hole-in-the-wall restaurant, with vinyl-covered table cloths, about six small tables, and maybe four or five locals sitting around a table having a chat.

I walked in and smiled, and a classic Italian mama smiled back and gestured me towards one of the tables. I sat down, and they brought the menu. It was a single typewriter-typed sheet of A4 paper in a plastic cover. In Italian. Of course, I couldn't read damn near any of it.

I tried to communicate, but I couldn't speak any Italian, and no-one there could speak either German or English. In the end, I made it clear with my broken Italian that I would like to have dinner and red wine ("Vino Rosso"). I vaguely remember the mama trying to ask me what kind of food I would like, pointing at various lines on the menu. I sort of shrugged my shoulders, smiled, and indicated as best as I could that I'd eat anything.

Ten minutes later, I got two plates of food and a half litre carafe of red wine. I ate all of it, loved the food, loved the wine, and paid all of about $10 for the lot. Before I left, I bowed to the mama for having served me one of the best meals of my life.

Used jar sauces add ingredients. Most premade sauces are not that good.

Say what you may about Walmart, but they have Cento tomato products, paste, peeled, & crushed. Grow fresh basil. Also sweet cherry tomatoes.. both go well in homemade pasta sauce. It's all about the tomatoes. Don't use jar sauce at all these days, Nothing wrong with it just found making my own with Cento products can season how I like over premade sauces. We use dry whole wheat pasta it's actually pretty good.

For stir fried noodles Asian style get fresh from noodle shop in Chinatown.

Thought I'd chime in on this. I'm an Irish American, that was fortunate to have married into a wonderful Italian family. My mother in laws "gravy" is lights out. Gravy is not marinara, rather that rich, dark dense sauce you will often find in old school Italian restaurants. The secret is over ripe tomatoes that stew (without stirring!) for hours. By letting the tomatoes break down slowly and reduce without interference, there is no need for paste or additives. The tomatoes retain their texture and expose the natural sugars that caramelize slowly. Recipes vary but the basics are the same, garlic, onion, fresh oregano or basil and really good Italian olive oil. Sometimes she might add finely minced carrots and celery, other times not. Can't describe how good this stuff is. Its an all day affair for the whole family. Add some home made raviolis and a rustic Italian red and I'm in heaven.

Thought I'd chime in on this. I'm an Irish American, that was fortunate to have married into a wonderful Italian family. My mother in laws "gravy" is lights out. Gravy is not marinara, rather that rich, dark dense sauce you will often find in old school Italian restaurants. The secret is over ripe tomatoes that stew (without stirring!) for hours. By letting the tomatoes break down slowly and reduce without interference, there is no need for paste or additives. The tomatoes retain their texture and expose the natural sugars that caramelize slowly. Recipes vary but the basics are the same, garlic, onion, fresh oregano or basil and really good Italian olive oil. Sometimes she might add finely minced carrots and celery, other times not. Can't describe how good this stuff is. Its an all day affair for the whole family. Add some home made raviolis and a rustic Italian red and I'm in heaven.
I think celery and carrots make for a thicker sauce - really adds something to the sauce. Those Italians, I tell you, they know how to do it right

Talk to Guinness, you are a candidate for "World's worst diplomat."

Or maybe world's greatest leader?! I am responsible for my staff and their well being when they're on the clock. I'm not going to let some jackass be abusive or unreasonable just because they are a customer because being a customer, contrary to popular believe, doesn't earn you that right. If someone comes in with unreasonable expectations and aren't willing to accept what is available than they should leave.

We are very good at what we do. We are professional. We have made a ton of sacrifices to be where we are. We are very accommodating to guests in order to provide the best experience we can. BUT we are who we are and we just might not be for you, and that totally ok.

Back