Perma soak water. Solutions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go for a very low concentration. Otherwise, you will risk bleaching the handle as you work with the knife.

It's back in the cobwebs but I recall that a cap of bleach in 10G of water will sanitize for dishwashing purposes.

This is a splendidly niche thread... I love it @branwell !

FWIW - a small amount of vinegar in one's bucket isn't going to rust something any more than cutting any kind of fruit or vegetable, unless you're permasoaking your knife too. Though if you're lucky you might create a very mildly acidic mud, which if you left it on the blade to dry might have a small etching effect on layered steel.

This is a splendidly niche thread... I love it @branwell !

(FWIW - a small amount of vinegar in one's bucket isn't going to rust something any more than cutting any kind of fruit or vegetable, unless you're permasoaking your knife too. Though if you're lucky you might create a very mildly acidic mud, which if you left it on the blade to dry might have a small etching effect on layered steel.)

Hmmm, I feel like if the pH is altered enough to be effective then it may rust your knives a bit during thinning etc. It’s like how jnats will sometimes rust your knives unless you spray them down with slightly alkaline water. But yea, you could just do the same with your vinegar soaked stones, if it’s a problem.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I feel like if the pH is altered enough to be effective then it may rust your knives a bit during thinning etc. It’s like how jnats will sometimes your knives unless you spray them down with slightly alkaline water. But yea, you could just do the same with your vinegar soaked stones, if it’s a problem.

You reckon...? I've never actually tried putting vinegar in my permasoak bucket tbh*, but I'd be surprised if the ph change from a small amount of vinegar would rust steel when sharpening before it made an environment impossible for bacteria (?)

(I have though dried slightly acid mud onto a blade to try the etching effect... Worked alright :))

*see earlier in this thread - I obviously just have exceptionally clean hands.

Reactions: ian
You reckon...? I've never actually tried putting vinegar in my permasoak bucket tbh*, but I'd be surprised if the ph change from a small amount of vinegar would rust steel when sharpening before it made an environment impossible for bacteria (?)

Yea, idk. I have no idea how much vinegar you need to add to make a difference. Maybe you’re right.

Back