Pesto made with smoked pecans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Basil is really starting to come in like weeds right now, so it is time to make pesto! I actually make my pesto with pecans since I have pecan trees in my back yard. I also smoke the pecans instead of just toasting them. Gives the pesto a Texas twist.

I also hand-chop the pesto with my cleaver, the pesto turns out a darker green when you do it this way.

Here is a link to the recipe.
http://www.dfw.com/2014/06/16/901299/weekend-chef-texas-pecan-pesto.html

And here are some pics.

apAY1.St.117.jpeg

GFR0u.St.117.jpeg

1hv2om.St.117.jpeg

1pPhlZ.St.117.jpeg

8Sonu.St.117.jpeg

Pamke.St.117.jpeg

I've had a hard on for mint/basil and pistachio pesto lately. But that looks and sounds good!

That looks great. The steak is mouth-watering, as always in your pictures...

Stefan

Looks great, my basil got it self beaten by earwings, cucumber beetles and blasts of 100 degree weather made it bolt into seed too fast. I can grow tomatoes but basil I always seem to fail.

Nice job on the meat.

Thanks everybody, basil seems to grow pretty good here in the Fort Worth area. The garden is also enclosed with screens to help keep the bugs off.

Strong Steve! I like the idea of a bug free garden. Be cool to see some shots of the garden and your raised bed setup. Very uniform chop job on the basil and pecan. Isn't that a nakiri? Would have grabbed a rocker with a bloated belly for that the nuts. Ups on the meat too Man :)

Strong Steve! I like the idea of a bug free garden. Be cool to see some shots of the garden and your raised bed setup. Very uniform chop job on the basil and pecan. Isn't that a nakiri? Would have grabbed a rocker with a bloated belly for that the nuts. Ups on the meat too Man :)

It is a Chukabocho I had custom made by Moritaka. It is 1/3 damascus, 2/3 Kurouchi with a hammer finish. Here they are adding the hammer finish.

14446423392_343e88f466_z.jpg

Here is a pic of the herb garden.

sKAj5.St.117.jpg

I wrote a story about it here.
http://www.dfw.com/2012/06/19/639973/weekend-chef-herb-garden-project.html

Nice garden now im tempted to build one haha.

As always, amazing photos and excellent execution Steve. Thanks for sharing.

That herb garden is amazing... going to pin it to my fantasy home design Pinterest board :lol2:

Wow that is impressive. How much did the whole project cost you?

beautiful garden. Also i've done pesto with macadamian nut in replace of pine nut. Came out not too bad.

Back