POLL: Current state of KKF B/S/T?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the current state of KKF BUY/SELL/TRADE

• Fine as is.

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • Not perfect, but a useful platform for both buyers, sellers and lookers.

Votes: 65 52.4%
  • Somewhat problematic. Needs more rules implemented and enforced by the moderators.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • A threat to the moral and ethical fabric of our “community” that needs to cease to exist.

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Maybe I should add to the poll

5. Is going to be left as it is and that's fine.

It is not being shut down. And this thread may have been better in the Support forum if you really wanted mods and admins to see an pay it any mind.
I think most understand it is not a democracy, people just like to vent. Besides, how much can you discuss if Toyama and Watanabe are the same knife or which is better white 2 or 1095.... Now, BST always makes for a good discussion:D

All this noise and only six truly negative votes, at a guess?

To be fair, the options don’t capture many of the points made in the other thread. I (and some others) spent a lot of time arguing for allowing negative comments, for instance, which doesn’t fit in with option 3 since it’s about having less rules. Although if you allow negative comments, you’d still like to enforce civility... but whatever, I’ve lost all my conviction about this after being crushed by the experience and intellect of the moderators.

If the last choice is so problematic, wouldn’t you just vote for the 2nd to last choice which is, to me, neutral with leanings towards this could be a problem and needs to be nipped in the bud?

And if you don’t do that, but rather choose to talk about how ridiculously worded the last choice is, and how it invalidates the poll which shows nobody agrees with you, aren’t you just taking denial to the next level?

If the last choice is so problematic, wouldn’t you just vote for the 2nd to last choice which is, to me, neutral with leanings towards this could be a problem and needs to be nipped in the bud?

And if you don’t do that, but rather choose to talk about how ridiculously worded the last choice is, and how it invalidates the poll which shows nobody agrees with you, aren’t you just taking denial to the next level?

Not sure why you're being so combative. Sure, maybe it looks like the wording of the last one doesn't matter much, since the combined total from the last two is small, but that doesn't mean that debating the phrasing is invalid. (Plus, I made that comment earlier when votes were still coming in.)

In any case, I think most of the other thread was an argument about whether BST fits into option 1 or 2, and if 2, how to address the flaws. The extremely heated rhetoric coming from some was loud, but wasn't the interesting part of the discussion.

Am I being combative?

There has been this back and forth about the subject to no end and now somebody has taken it to a vote. The results are overwhelming.

If you want to debate the semantics of the phrasing, may I suggest you or Chinacats or HRC63?64? repost the poll with the same 2 first options plus whatever phrasing you want for the other options?

I vote for Choice 2.5. "Not perfect, somewhat problematic, needs to be moderated by all forum members."

How's that, JChooMtl? That is my choice, but it is not one of the choices.

I vote for Choice 2.5. "Not perfect, somewhat problematic, needs to be moderated by all forum members."

How's that, JChooMtl? That is my choice, but it is not one of the choices.

Ummm ... very good? Throw it up there.

Can’t speak much for it now, but I’ve gotten better deals, shipping time and quality off BST than I have from buying brand new knives from some makers selling on here.

All this noise and only six truly negative votes, at a guess?

Like I said, I didn't vote, because there wasn't an option that represented my feelings. It's been talked about quite a bit about less rules and being able to call people out, but somehow that's not on the poll.

To be fair, the options don’t capture many of the points made in the other thread. I (and some others) spent a lot of time arguing for allowing negative comments, for instance, which doesn’t fit in with option 3 since it’s about having less rules. Although if you allow negative comments, you’d still like to enforce civility... but whatever, I’ve lost all my conviction about this after being crushed by the experience and intellect of the moderators.
It may feel like yelling into a canyon, but keep your convictions.
Am I being combative?

There has been this back and forth about the subject to no end and now somebody has taken it to a vote. The results are overwhelming.

If you want to debate the semantics of the phrasing, may I suggest you or Chinacats or HRC63?64? repost the poll with the same 2 first options plus whatever phrasing you want for the other options?

That's a decent suggestion, or perhaps just brainstorm in another thread first about poll options. I think the poll was a pretty good attempt. It can be tricky trying to come up with the proper wording and catch all the possibilities. I think it needs tweaking and you would see alot more votes. I don't think that people don't care one way or another, there has been way to much discussion for that to be the case. People have opinions obviously. I just think the options need tweaked.

A inside a C is some of the best food I ever had.

I don’t doubt that for a second. There is no reason why the animals we don’t consider as food would be less delicious than the animals we consider food.

I’ve never tried it but I’ve often thought that if an apocalypse ever hits us, spit roasted rat would be an excellent protein source.

I’ve lost all my conviction about this after being crushed by the experience and intellect of the moderators.

Me, too.

I think flippers dilute BST and detract from the community. But explanations for why the current rules exist are persuasive to me.

Have a couple of other gripes.

I suspect high-value sales also generate supporting memberships. This of course makes me suspicious of supporting members. Would like a unicorn badge for well-known supporting members. (How many are there?)

I also think most of the positive (cheerleading) comments on BST are suspicious and weird and unnecessary.

But oh well. I can probably navigate this site without getting too worked up over it. Also it is clear moderators/owners have put actual thought into this over the years.

It’s helpful to have positive comments from people who have used something that’s up for sale and might not be familiar to everyone looking at it. “I have one of those, it’s even prettier than the pictures, so-and-so’s grind/steel is top notch, it’s my go-to for this task,” that sort. It might also be helpful if more crowdsourced opinion on pricing of individual items were available - aside from the flipper issue, how do I know how much a knife that was used once is worth, or how much a well used but top quality one should go for — whether buying or selling? However I can see how that could quickly become more trouble than it’s worth.

The only knives that I’ve been really disappointed in - not “oh, this could use some thinning,” but “this plain wasn’t worth the money” - were ones I bought new from retailers anyway.

I suspect high-value sales also generate supporting memberships. This of course makes me suspicious of supporting members. Would like a unicorn badge for well-known supporting members. (How many are there?)

Let’s not get too suspicious of supporting members! I only upgraded recently, because I thought “hey, I’m not wealthy enough to have a huge collection, but I can certainly afford $30 a year in support of a community I spend a lot of time with.” I imagine, or at least I hope, that most supporting members decide to do it for similar reasons.

I also think most of the positive (cheerleading) comments on BST are suspicious and weird and unnecessary.

I agree with @GorillaGrunt on this. The cheerleading is really helpful, especially if you can only maintain a small collection and most of your purchases end up being catch and release. Every catch and release sale I’ve made has sold within 5 hours, partly because when I bought the knife I was paying attention to which knives were popular, and which prices were very good. I primarily got this info from the cheerleading.

Back