Poll: What's the ratio of carbon to stainless of your knife collection?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the ratio of carbon to stainless of your knives?

• All or almost all carbon

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • Mixed, but more carbon than stainless

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • Roughly half carbon, half stainless

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Mixed, but more stainless than carbon

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • All or almost all stainless

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Other, please post more details

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The recent thread about Go To Stainless made me wonder what most people have in their collections. And I'm also curious where people classify semi-stainless. I generally think of it as more stainless because it needs less immediate care, but I'd guess others see it differently.

Right. Semi-stainless seems to guide you in a direction, but for some reason semi-carbon seems like marketing mumbo jumbo along the lines of “HIGH CARBON STEEL”.

I would answer differently if the time frame was 'last 2 years' vs. 'my entire adult life'. I'm about half and half, but recent purchases have been predominantly carbon steel knives. I can't believe I didn't try one earlier... definitely a different feel than stainless.

I'm in the 'mixed but more carbon' bucket if we're counting semi-stainless as stainless and stainless clad as carbon. That's excluding the big block of stainless beaters.

I have about 50/50 - but that's counting beaters, which are mostly all stainless. Counting good stuff, it carbonises a fair amount. :)

This is counting cores only, though, more of my carbon knives have reactive cladding as well.

Out of 21 KKF worthy knives (all 240mm Gyutos). 7 stainless.
Admittedly for pure performance stance .. in a western country ... those that put more stainless/ all almost all stainless are way smarter than I.
Those that have Majority Carbon are more collectors ... if you dont agree fight me.

Only 1 full carbon slicer(reserved for specific tasks to prevent rust), 2 stainless/semi stainless, the rest 5 of them are all stainless clad carbon. I used them all

Last edited:
If we're not counting stainless clad I have 0 stainless 1 SS 😅

i have about 4 carbon blades now. and maybe 10 ss. the carbons rust if i neglect them so i prefer to simply use the stainless ones.

Usually I favor carbons. Right now ratio is 3:3 but counting two Victo Chef as SS knives. J-Knives are 3C 1SS as it stands. I have one AEB-L that should come by me in April I guess. By which time I suppose a couple more carbons will come, a couple more will be sold. And so on. But I've pretty much made my way through most knives I wanted to try, so I'm actually looking at stones more often than knives now. More of these I still want to try.

Mostly stainless clad carbon. Couple of stainless, couple full carbon.

At the moment ratio is 1/1/4 - stainless/semistainless/carbon.

My work current work kit is 3 carbon, 2 stainless. It was 2 and 2 for a while. The ratio can vary widely, all depends on my mood or what tasks I need to do.

Overall though, slightly more stainless.

I have one stainless, one semi-stainless and three carbon (stainless clad).
My wife's knives are all stainless - Global and Henckels. She doesn't touch my knives.

Right about 60% stainless 40% carbon
8 stainless(2 semi)
5 full carbon

Planning on aquiring more full carbons, stainless clad carbon, and semi's than full stainless moving forward.

For me, knife classification is determined by the metal used for the business end, that is, the cutting edge. That said – thank God the ratio in my knife drawer is 5 to 1 stainless because if I'm not paying attention the carbon knives, when used, end up sitting with the rest of the wet hand-washed plates and utensils, and the next morning I'm busy scrubbing away with the rust eraser.

Back